eMac and PowerBook declared EOL

Comments

• Reply 281 of 315
    I know everyone's all keyed out about a new PowerBook and I do agree it's probably the range that most needs an update in Apple's lineup at the moment, but I hope we hear something about the eMac soon too - it's also gone a long time with no update and I'd really like to see a new model. Even if they declare the line officially EOL, I could maybe pick up a bargain if I bought one of the last ones they made
  • Reply 282 of 315
    My thing is Apple should make us (the consumer) aware if the line is EOL and its going to be awhile before we see another powerbook. I think it will be this week too. Only time will tell......................
  • Reply 283 of 315
    If ThinkSecret is accurate with the G4 speed bumps, then here's what I'm hoping for in the price scale....

Note: In the last revision, Airport became standard. This time, SuperDrives will be standard across the board.

12.1 inch TFT Display

1024x768 resoution

1.5GHz PowerPC G4

512k L2 cache

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB Ultra/ATA 100 at 5,400 RPM

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (128 MB DDR)

Full size keyboard

10/100 BASE-T Ethernet

Firewire 400

SuperDrive and Airport Extreme Built-in

Mini-DVI out

$1,599

15.2-inch TFT Display

1280x854 resolution

1.66GHz PowerPC G4

512 L2 cache

512 MB DDR 333 SDRAM

100GB Ultra/ATA at 5,400 RPM

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 MB DDR)

Full size Backlit keyboard

Gigabit Ethernet

Firewire 400 & 800

DVI & S-Video out

$1,999

17-inch TFT Display

1440x900 resolution

1.66GHz PowerPC G4

512 L2 cache

512 MB DDR 333 SDRAM

100GB Ultra/ATA at 5,400 RPM

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 MB DDR)

Full size Backlit keyboard

Gigabit Ethernet

Firewire 400 & 800

DVI & S-Video out

$2,499
  • Reply 284 of 315
    Dhagen

$200 cheaper for a superdrive 12" is what I need! I hope you're right.
  • Reply 285 of 315
    If those are the specs I am going to shoot myself in the head. (no, not seriously, but thanks for looking out for me all you non-joke-taking-people.)

Apple can, or at least should have, been able to upgrade the PBs to those specs only a few months after the last speed bump (apr. 04?). it wouldnt make sense to, of course, since it's such a damn small bump. To do so now would be even more stupid.

I'm usually somewhat of a hopeful, but the current PBs are getting to the antiquated form that the old PowerMacs were right before the G5s were announced. A very bad place to be, unless something big is coming down the line soon.
  • Reply 286 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

My favorites are the redhead, the guy who looks like he's deliviring a pizza (second row, red laptop case) who's oggling the redhead, and Special Ed in the middle wearing his Special Ed iSight.

Crazy ass french people. Seriously, I wanna steal that guys helmet. I was already gonna bring my iSight to record lectures
  • Reply 287 of 315
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by DHagan4755

[B]If ThinkSecret is accurate with the G4 speed bumps, then here's what I'm hoping for in the price scale....

Note: In the last revision, Airport became standard. This time, SuperDrives will be standard across the board.

Some people would actually prefer Combo drives - they're faster at making CDs and reading them! I don't see a superdrive across the line, they wiull make a non-superdrive to bring the lowest powerbook down in price. I stioll expect a combo 15." Backlit keyboards could be added to the 12", that would be cool. Where put the sensors though? Only two days until my bank balance screams!
  • Reply 288 of 315
    A price cut would make my day! I agree MacCrazy....... two more days till i'm broke

I agree the french are crazy!
  • Reply 289 of 315
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

As for the sexy powerbooks........ got any pictures with guys.... a female needs to look at something too

I cannot believe you have not seen this one yet .
  • Reply 290 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I cannot believe you have not seen this one yet .

That was funny I've never seen that one. Thanks PB!
  • Reply 291 of 315
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

That was funny I've never seen that one. Thanks PB!

That was a classic advert! Thing is the 15" is definitely the best though.
  • Reply 292 of 315
    Can't seem to access that link it just comes up with a blank page
  • Reply 293 of 315
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RSteve

Can't seem to access that link it just comes up with a blank page

Stop trying to access it from windows :P
  • Reply 294 of 315
    I just noticed that the 15" and 17" powerbooks are now quoting 7-10 days shipping on the Apple Store....hmmmmmmm
  • Reply 295 of 315
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    What's your point?
  • Reply 296 of 315
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    I was at my campus computer store (University of Alberta) and they said they are completely dry except for one 12" and one 15" demo model. Apple basically told them to "sit tight" when they tried to order more. I mean, we all know SOMETHING is coming soon. It has to. It is just a matter of what it is going to be.
  • Reply 297 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

I was at my campus computer store (University of Alberta) and they said they are completely dry except for one 12" and one 15" demo model. Apple basically told them to "sit tight" when they tried to order more. I mean, we all know SOMETHING is coming soon. It has to. It is just a matter of what it is going to be.

It makes sense...... the last place they would want to sell an outdated powerbook is on the University circut. My University feels this week has to be the week....... (but then again they said that last week )
  • Reply 298 of 315
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Ya. I bought an iMac G5 last Tuesday and asked when they thought PB's would update and they said soon but in reality they had no idea. Saturday they said that Apple told them on Friday afternoon to just wait. I really want one. This student loan is buring a hole in my pocket!
  • Reply 299 of 315
    Just to add a little flavor:

...stores goin' down...

D, F, UK ... down. US ... up.
  • Reply 300 of 315
    rob mrob m Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nohill

Just to add a little flavor:

...stores goin' down...

D, F, UK ... down. US ... up.

Denmark and Australia also down...