Pages Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
In work, typing *word* will make 'word' bold, and typing _word_ will make 'word' italics. But in Pages, taht doesn't seem to be the case. Is there some way I can create this option? Also, is tehre an autocorrect feature in Pages like there is in Word? I use it to make things like b/c become because and w/ become with. Is tehre a way to do this in pages? I am a student and type a lot of reports and Chapter Study Guides, and I use these features all the time. I was hoping to move away from Word and use Pages instead, but these things are kind of holding me back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Autocorrect is the absolute worst feature in Office. Rather than rely on Word to correct your work, invest the effort into making it correct the first time.

And no, Pages does not have Autocorrect.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

Autocorrect is the absolute worst feature in Office. Rather than rely on Word to correct your work, invest the effort into making it correct the first time.

I find it to be the best feature. When typing, I generally make mistakes that AutoCorrect easily fixes. I know how to spell the words, just when I type I accidently hit the wrong letter. Thats like saying instead of using Spell Check, you should get a dictionary out if you won't know how to spell the words. Its one of the best things about typing things instead of hand writing. You may say taht making it to b/c become because is lazy, and it is, but it makes typing a 5-page report that much faster.

AutoCorrect is usually right, sometimes not, but overall it is a feature that I love about Word. But to every man his own.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    People are way too focused on getting things done fast rather than getting them done well. Imagine: It's 2015, and TextMessage shorthand has replaced correct English as the written language of English-speaking nations. You open up the newspaper and are greeted with language along the lines of "Teh prsn wnt 2 Cnada b/c his frnd wnt tehr w/ hs car."

Basically, if you know how to spell the words but type a wrong letter, you're fine: OS X will underline the word to show you that you misspelled it. You can go back and correct it. Over time, you will stop making as many mistakes because you begin to realize it when you make them. With autocomplete, however, you basically train yourself to misspell (as is evident with "Tehre" and "taht" in your post) because there is no consequence or indication when you misspell something.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    LOL

Good point, I never thought about it like that. I never type shorthand (b/c, w/, etc.) unless it is IM, or notes taht (I did it again) are only for myself. I see your point, though.

Either way, nothing I can do about it, and I do hope taht they impliment it in future versions.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Don't have Pages, but I would assume that Cmd+I and Cmd+B and Cmd+U work for italics, bold and underline respectively. Right? If so, why not just use those?

And, frankly, if Word has to correct 'that' and 'there' for you... you need to work on your spelling anyway (or at least your typing). I turned off AutoCorrect ages ago and can't remember the last time I needed it for something. The worst thing it does (IMO) is make the 'th' superscript when dealing with a century. i.e. 20th Century. As a student, musicology, that upsets me to no end.

Work on your typing and try those keyboard combinations.

BTW... the word is "implement" not "impliment."

Quote:

Originally posted by football751

LOL

Good point, I never thought about it like that. I never type shorthand (b/c, w/, etc.) unless it is IM, or notes taht (I did it again) are only for myself. I see your point, though.

Either way, nothing I can do about it, and I do hope taht they impliment it in future versions.

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

...I would assume that Cmd+I and Cmd+B and Cmd+U work for italics, bold and underline respectively. Right? If so, why not just use those?

You are correct. That is what I use.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I advantages of *word* and _word_ is that I do a lot of vocab definitions on my computer as a student. So I type *Biology:* definition. Then Biology is bold, and definition isn't. And you don't have to go and highlight Biology, then bold it. Just easier and quicker.

I find it interesting taht you don't like the superscripth 20th. I love taht feature and think taht it makes it look much neater. But this thread really isn't baout discussing our own prefrences. But is tehre a way to use superscript or subscript in pages?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

I advantages of *word* and _word_ is that I do a lot of vocab definitions on my computer as a student. So I type *Biology:* definition. Then Biology is bold, and definition isn't. And you don't have to go and highlight Biology, then bold it. Just easier and quicker.

You don't have to highlight the word to use command-B either - just hit it once before you type it (where you'd put the first star), type the word, then hit it again.

Amorya
  • Reply 9 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Amorya is right. Instead of hitting Shift-8 to make an * before the word, you just hit Command-B instead. Type the word. Then Command-B again, instead of Shift-8 again.

It's just a matter of retraining your fingers a little.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

I find it to be the best feature. When typing, I generally make mistakes that AutoCorrect easily fixes. I know how to spell the words, just when I type I accidently hit the wrong letter. Thats like saying instead of using Spell Check, you should get a dictionary out if you won't know how to spell the words.

Instead of using Spell Check, you should get a dictionary out. I keep Webster's 3rd International Unabridged nearby, just in case.

Chellspeckers can tell you if a word is spelled correctly. They can't tell you whether the word makes any sense where it is. To the extent that people rely on them, I see all kinds of to/too/two, can't/cant, there/their/they're, affect/effect, complement/compliment, and similar errors that no chellspecker will ever catch.

The simple fact is that the only effective editors are human. Computers can point out some glaring errors (OS X has helpfully singled out every occurrence of "chellspecker" in this post) but in the long term there is simply no substitute for learning which words are appropriate, and learning how they are spelled, and learning how to type them correctly.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Amorya is right. Instead of hitting Shift-8 to make an * before the word, you just hit Command-B instead. Type the word. Then Command-B again, instead of Shift-8 again.

It's just a matter of retraining your fingers a little.

Thanks for that, I never thought of it.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    not exactly the same topic...

hi gang,

aren't you supposed to able to open word documents via pages and visa versa?

i cannot open a word 2004 document with pages and visa versa.

is this right or am i doing something wrong?

thanks,

chung lee
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

Autocorrect is very irritating when it's doing what it was designed to do and a total godsend if you use it, well, properly.

If you're using graphical paragraph / page breaks (or any little icon or image you're going to be repeating in your document again and again) you can tell Word's autocorrect to drop in said icon or image whenever you type 'xxxx' or 'zzzz' or something, and it'll do it, formatted like you want. Thank-you.

With Pages it looks like you have to repeatedly copy and paste, if I'm right (I haven't tried too hard to find out so far and I'd love it if I'm wrong.)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Autocorrect is very irritating when it's doing what it was designed to do and a total godsend if you use it, well, properly.

If you're using graphical paragraph / page breaks (or any little icon or image you're going to be repeating in your document again and again) you can tell Word's autocorrect to drop in said icon or image whenever you type 'xxxx' or 'zzzz' or something, and it'll do it, formatted like you want. Thank-you.

So you're using the AutoCorrect as an ad hoc macro system?

*shudder*

Much better to have an actual macro system...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So you're using the AutoCorrect as an ad hoc macro system?

*shudder*

I don't know.

I do know that I can get AutoCorrect to drop in my paragraph break thingies, formatted and everything, and all I have to do is enter a few letters. Bam bam bam bam, lovely.

If I knew a better (easier?) way of doing it I'd definitely use it, though.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I have to admit, I hadn't thought of using AC that way, and it is quite clever... not to mention more useful than how it tries to work.

A macro system is generally more full featured, but that's a slick little simplistic but useful version.

Eg, in TeXShop, there's a nice macro system built-in that lets you generate menu items and/or keystrokes. Hit the magic Cmd-whatever, and it runs a script that can input text, take what you've selected and mangle it somehow, etc etc.