Mac OS9 and Spyware

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can someone recommend a spyware removal tool for OS9 please...preferrably a free one!

Cheers and TIA

Simon C

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SimonC

Can someone recommend a spyware removal tool for OS9 please...preferrably a free one!

Cheers and TIA

Simon C

IIRC, there is no MacOS 9 spyware.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Well that's what I thought, but my ISP is saying that the braodband connection is slow because of spyware and adaware.

Thanks

Simon C
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Well that's what I thought, but my ISP is saying that the braodband connection is slow because of spyware and adaware.

Thanks

Simon C

Did they say that it was slow because of spyware on your machine or on the machines of other customers? The thing that you should understand is that bandwidth is shared. Perhaps, it would help if you told us the type of broadband you have, the advertised download speed/upload speed you have, and the actual download speed/upload speed you are getting.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    They say the problem is with my computer.

I have a 512k setup with a 50:1 contention ratio and am currently achieving 400kbps/100kbps approx.

It's not the downloading speed that worries me, because that seems fine. It's the general speed at which I can surf.

Maybe when I get my Mac Mini, things will improve?!?!?

Cheers

Simon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

They say the problem is with my computer.

I have a 512k setup with a 50:1 contention ratio and am currently achieving 400kbps/100kbps approx.

It's not the downloading speed that worries me, because that seems fine. It's the general speed at which I can surf.

Maybe when I get my Mac Mini, things will improve?!?!?

Cheers

Simon

All things considered, your ISP is probably correct. You have a slow connection. That is not your computer, but everything else is. Owing to its poor memory management compared to MacOS X, web browsing in MacOS 9 will be slower. Because the popular MacOS 9 browsers are no longer under development, you must use older browsers. From all that you tell me, your browsing speed is about as high as you can expect. You can't get drive a Model-T Ford at Corvette speeds.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

All things considered, your ISP is probably correct. You have a slow connection. That is not your computer, but everything else is. Owing to its poor memory management compared to MacOS X, web browsing in MacOS 9 will be slower.

In theory. In practice, web browsing in OS 9 is faster because the graphics layer is so much simpler. Your computer probably just sucks!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

In theory. In practice, web browsing in OS 9 is faster because the graphics layer is so much simpler. Your computer probably just sucks!

Theory nothing. My experience using MacOS 9 and MacOS X on the same computer is that graphics are faster on MacOS X. I tend to give my MacOS 9 apps a lot of memory headroom. However, the superior memory management of MacOS X and the superior design of MacOS X apps rule the day.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Theory nothing. My experience using MacOS 9 and MacOS X on the same computer is that graphics are faster on MacOS X.

Not true on slower machines. And generally not true on any faster machine capable to run OS 9, when you are not multi-tasking (if you have concurrent tasks, the feel can be quite different). I am trying right now OS 9 and OS X (10.1.5) on an old Wallstreet and the OS 9 has so much faster graphics since, guess what, it has full hardware acceleration. Browsing however is another story, see below.

Quote:

I tend to give my MacOS 9 apps a lot of memory headroom. However, the superior memory management of MacOS X and the superior design of MacOS X apps rule the day.

This is very true. I just have tried to download the same (big) file in OS 9 and 10.1.5, in a broadband line (3000 kbps). Now, under OS 9 I achieve around 800-1000 kbps, while OS X gives me more than 2900 kpbs. And the machine IS spyware free (fresh installation). So it's the OS networking capabilities. Furthermore, browsing in OS X, even in this slow machine without graphics acceleration and in this old OS X version, is MUCH more smooth than in OS 9.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Not true on slower machines. And generally not true on any faster machine capable to run OS 9, when you are not multi-tasking (if you have concurrent tasks, the feel can be quite different). I am trying right now OS 9 and OS X (10.1.5) on an old Wallstreet and the OS 9 has so much faster graphics since, guess what, it has full hardware acceleration. Browsing however is another story, see below.

This is very true. I just have tried to download the same (big) file in OS 9 and 10.1.5, in a broadband line (3000 kbps). Now, under OS 9 I achieve around 800-1000 kbps, while OS X gives me more than 2900 kpbs. And the machine IS spyware free (fresh installation). So it's the OS networking capabilities. Furthermore, browsing in OS X, even in this slow machine without graphics acceleration and in this old OS X version, is MUCH more smooth than in OS 9.

We will have to agree to disagree.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

...under OS 9 I achieve around 800-1000 kbps, while OS X gives me more than 2900 kpbs. And the machine IS spyware free...

How much spyware is out there for osx, i thought it was non existant - are there scanners like spybot for mac? are they needed?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

How much spyware is out there for osx...

Nothing known yet, with perhaps the exception of a couple of unsuccesful attempts, if I remember well. I want just to emphasize the fact that my "test" machine has near to zero probability to already have a spyware program running.

The OS X unix structure makes very difficult to create spyware that will be installed automatically without the user noticing it. A spyware program could be installed without an administrator password only in the user home directory, and so it is very easy to find it and eradicate it. This is one of the reasons to use a normal (non-administrative) user account for everyday activities.