Is a PBG5 really needed?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From what I've read in various posts here, I seem to get the impression that the G4 still has some life left in it. So my question is this: Is a PBG5 really needed or does everybody just want a new toy to play with?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quiet, you!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Is a PBG5 really needed ... ?

Yes.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Sssssssshhht.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Apple needs a faster notebook, if only to keep up with the new Celeron being introduced by Intel. I doubt that most users need a faster laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Apple needs a faster notebook, if only to keep up with the new Celeron being introduced by Intel.

Why couldn't that new PB be powered by of the new dual core G4's? Are the new Celerons next generation top of the line cpus or just improved versions?
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Why couldn't that new PB be powered by of the new dual core G4's? Are the new Celerons next generation top of the line cpus or just improved versions?

I don't care what they produce, so long as it is better than now - because spending $3000 on a notebook computer that is the same speed as my imac mini would be psycologically impalatable.

Also, I don't want Apple to upgrade it for 6 months after I buy, so that the new car smell can ware off before the new model comes out.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

... the new Celeron being introduced by Intel.

Ahem... Centrino.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Ahem... Centrino.

whatever
  • Reply 9 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

whatever

Actually, the PC world is now in the Sonoma architecture. Near desktop-grade performance for mobile power saving features. Here is a review.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Actually, the PC world is now in the Sonoma architecture. Near desktop-grade performance for mobile power saving features. Here is a review.

Sweet! Maybe it should power the next powerbook! (just kidding)

So this is what Intel was doing for the past couple years, PC manufacturers should dump the 100+ watt monsters and use clusters of these Pentium-Ms,

if that is possible.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    I just want a Powerbook that is a little bit faster, gets AWESOME battery life and doesnt burn my lap.

The G4's that exist now wont do that, and Im not sure a G5 would either. I just pray they have been working on something.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    I swear to God/Buddha/Allah, if it is just a G4 Rev., it better come with 512 ram across the board.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

I swear to God/Buddha/Allah, if it is just a G4 Rev., it better come with 512 ram across the board.

HA!

I'll be munching my socks while cleaning the pig poop off my car.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

These centrino's are beginning to cause laptops that are lighter and better battery performance equal to the powerbooks with as of now better performance.

The new toshiba's (quosmio's) are very elegant, but have Dothan's (G5 class) cpu's at 2GHz - about the same price as the PB's but Dull have just released their Dothan 2G 17" widescreen in an ugly enclosure but at the same price as the PB 12".

Again, apple is now being outclassed in price/performance for its laptops - the PBG5 will be able to compete - but only when it is released.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Not so much outclassed as the PC's are just now catching up.

You know Apple has the new PB sitting in their labs right now. The one that will advance the total thinking of what lap tops can be. The only part missing I'm sure is the G5 processor.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    No a PB g5 is not needed... as long as they can improve speed without sacrificing design.

Everyone thinks the powerbook g5 is g oing to be the holy grail. Its not. No one realizes how much wattage the g5 chips use. Battery life would be non existant with current chips.

I know this and heat are the main reasons it's not in a powerbook. No one wants a powerbook with 2 hour battery life.

If i were you, I'd pray for dual core g4's before powerbook g5s.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Not so much outclassed as the PC's are just now catching up.

You know Apple has the new PB sitting in their labs right now. The one that will advance the total thinking of what lap tops can be. The only part missing I'm sure is the G5 processor.

\\

Yes it did take them 4 years since the introduction of the Ti PB to catch up. Im sure a G5 PB will maintain a more than competitive product - but no update since April for the PB is appalling.

The Centrino has stepped up - im confident apple will answer the challenge, just not today.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

No a PB g5 is not needed... as long as they can improve speed without sacrificing design.

Everyone thinks the powerbook g5 is g oing to be the holy grail. Its not. No one realizes how much wattage the g5 chips use. Battery life would be non existant with current chips.

I know this and heat are the main reasons it's not in a powerbook. No one wants a powerbook with 2 hour battery life.

If i were you, I'd pray for dual core g4's before powerbook g5s.

Im not praying for anything in particular - just something faster and preferrably reasonably performance competitive. I think a 7448 @ 2G would be "close" to a Dothan, but a 8641 single and dual core would be very welcome - they dont exist and may not until 2006!.

I think Apple is committed to the G5 for its future and 64 bit than freescale and its 32 bit G4 class chips. I dont recall anyone suggesting 2hr laptops that's just being absurd.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Im not praying for anything in particular - just something faster and preferrably reasonably performance competitive. I think a 7448 @ 2G would be "close" to a Dothan, but a 8641 single and dual core would be very welcome - they dont exist and may not until 2006!.

I think Apple is committed to the G5 for its future and 64 bit than freescale and its 32 bit G4 class chips. I dont recall anyone suggesting 2hr laptops that's just being absurd.

Freescale can as easily manufacture "G5" chips as IBM. It's Apple who gives them the generational name. And its not like Freescale isn't making 64bit processors too, there are plans to make a 64bit of the 8641D. Though myself I'd be plenty happy with 32bit.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    64 bit is great... when its needed. More often then not 64bit is NOT needed right now. Of course I'd like to see more apps take advantage of it. This would make a need for it.

Either way, powerbooks need low wattage chips. This is the major advantage of the centrino technology... it uses so little battery life. A g5 will not be as competitive at this point as a g4.

As far as dual core, it could be as early as this fall for their release. I'd much rather have a g4 right now then a g5. I have a g5 at home, I love it... i'm on it now. But the sacrifice of battery life for power would not be worth it. Just my opinion. I may be alone on this one. Personally I think the current powerbooks are great. Only reason I haven't bought one is because I know there will be an update soon. Soon as the update hits, no matter what it is, i'm buying the low end 15".