Whatcha Listening To? Thread v05

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't know what the usual convention is as far as how long a WLT thread lives for but the old one's buried back on page 4 so I'm starting a newy. Plus we're now in sync with the year. Barring revolutions, version number = year. I think it would be helpful if anybody referring to a song or album released in the year of the thread could note it as a "new release".

OK. So this is a new release this year or late last year (close enough). Heard this last night on the all night music show, Rage. Most of you will hate it. But I'm quite partial to plickety, pluckety guitar and a sweet melody. I've d/led it last night and thought I'd like to know more. Turns out the guy is Australian (yay) but as an added bonus, you can download two of the tracks for free off his web site. Whole songs (none of this 30 second crap) at 192 kbps mp3 thank you very much.

Nice. THIS IS THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE! Chester is impressed. Chester will buy. Anyway, here ya go

Lior

Also heard on Rage recently "Tonight's the Night" (no, not that one) by Little Birdy. This must have come out late 2003 or early 2004. Didn't think much of the single off the album so have pretty much ignored them. But I don't mind this. Nothing out of the box but nice bit of alternative pop. Cute rock chick as lead singer fellas.

Also on high rotation of late CSNY's version of "Blackbird". Was actually looking for a different version but this is very nice by the masters of harmony. Eva Cassidy's version of "Cheek-to-Cheek" which I have to give a wide berth to every so often because I get sick of it but it's currently back on the list and I love it. This sort of stuff was my earliest musical influence. More trips down memory lane with some Tears for Fears. Haven't listened to them for ages. Damn they were a good band.

Wait for it...."Doo Waa Ditty" by Zapp and Roger Troutman. Never quite my cup of tea but spent last week learning popping (rather unsuccessfully) with 'B' Boy Swipa and so Zapp Band it is.

Then that got me thinking back to Gil Scott-Heron. So started digging through some of his stuff. It literally would be 20 years since I've listened to B Movie. Pretty goddamn interesting in terms of today's political situation. Smart dude old Gil. Then heard and filched off the internets Lazy Boy's "Underwear Goes Inside the Pants" and couldn't help but be struck by the creative debt it owes to Scott-Heron.

Gotta defeat the copyright Nazis. In the words of Woody Guthrie:

"Use your eyes, watch other, good, bad and medium players, do like they do. Learn a wiggle from one, a slide from the next, a tickle from the next one, a whang and bang, a walkalong from somebody else, and before you know it, you'll be just as good a doubler and faker, lead finger and follower, as the rest of them."

That's the way it works. That's the way it's always worked. May you 2005 be filled with the sound of music.

Chester bows to the crowd, climbs down off soapbox.

So whatcha got for me tonton, mattjohndrow, somebody? Come on, cough up. And don't give me any atonal shit. I'm in a good mood. Don't spoil it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 200
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

In C by Terry Reilly

You are a fucking bastard sego. As I was downloading it, I thought, this'll either be something really good or a piece of atonal crap he's posted to spite me because he's still shitty with me for accusing him of playing the enigma card. Oh don't fucking deny it! I know wounded male pride when I see it.

Anyway, I unexpectedly have an ailing desktop on my hands and spent the afternoon alternately cursing Apple, trying to deny reality, and spitting in Steve Jobs general direction because my Applecare ran out last September and I am officially poor. Until I checked my receipts, and discovered it doesn't run out until this September!

So nothing you do can touch me sego. Yes, I am wise. But it's wisdom born of pain. Yes, I've paid the price segovius but look how much I've gained. If I have to, I can do anything. (I can, for instance, insult the hell out of you while deftly staying just within the posting guidelines.) I am strong (I can crush your balls, Sunshine). I am invincible (I can be haughty to the nth degree when necessary).

I am owed a new display by Apple for nix. And by god I'm gonna get it.

Hateful person.

And I leave out smilies whenever they're most needed so only the cleverest can figure out if I'm joking or not.
  • Reply 2 of 200
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Correct response. You've partially redeemed yourself.
  • Reply 3 of 200
    Home Thoughts From Abroad - Clifford T. Ward

A gift from a friend. The album's title track was recently voted the 4th best British song ever. interesting stuff if you're into wordy singer-songwriters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/cr...thoughts.shtml
  • Reply 4 of 200
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

You are a fucking bastard sego

So nothing you do can touch me sego. Yes, I am wise. But it's wisdom born of pain. Yes, I've paid the price segovius but look how much I've gained. If I have to, I can do anything. (I can, for instance, insult the hell out of you while deftly staying just within the posting guidelines.) I am strong (I can crush your balls, Sunshine). I am invincible (I can be haughty to the nth degree when necessary).

As a young teen I used to get really hot and bothered by Helen Reddy, she would wear those bare shouldered numbers and......good times, good times
  • Reply 5 of 200
    My Sweet Prince-Placebo

it sucks that a lot of people only know "Pure Morning" and then, only because of the weed reference, when Placebo has much better songs.
  • Reply 6 of 200
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What ya saying about me?

I'm listening to the World of Warcraft soundtrack. Extremely geeky, yes, but I've been having a liking for cinematic-sounding classical music.
  • Reply 7 of 200
    you know, placebo, every time i see your name on here, it reminds me of the band, it's true.
  • Reply 8 of 200
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

An excellent record, and recommended for anyone who likes a Smiths sound, but doesn't just want a Smiths wannabe band.

Thanks tonton.

..and to get with what I'm listening right now, its Adriana Calcanhotto with the beautiful live album called Público.

Other than that, a little bit of Calexico (mostly The Black Light), and The Quantic Soul Orchestra with their Stampede from time to time.
  • Reply 9 of 200
    I'll 2nd that Quatic Soul Orchestra.

Also the New Chemical Brothers "Push The Button"
  • Reply 10 of 200
    Dave Douglas-Mountain Passages

dave's new group NOMAD, whose goal is to play in some of the more hard to get places in the world. this was originally performed in the Dolemites at 14,000 feet.

Elements of klezmer and New Orleans "second line" (the band has a Tuba player) seep into Douglas's sound this time out making it my favorite jazz release in quite a while.
  • Reply 11 of 200
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    "Venus" - Air

Talkie Walkie - 2004
  • Reply 12 of 200
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    ipod attached to external speakers on random through entire library, currently on blue by a perfect circle. Sometimes I flip through songs I don't feel like listening to while I do my photo corrections.
  • Reply 13 of 200
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

"Venus" - Air

Talkie Walkie - 2004

air is amazing...just 2 guys, who then will enlist a 12, 21, or ever more piece orchestra for their songs.

kelly watch the stars-air
  • Reply 14 of 200
    Tim Curry "Simplicity". Man that one's taken some finding. 'Cause, you know, if the music industry can't make money out of it, then we just shouldn't be allowed to listen to it anymore. But his voice is just as good and sexy as I remembered it.

Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Now, I have to rant here about bands that have hidden tracks at the end of a last track.

Snippity snip's the only solution. And yeah, it's more trouble than you should have to go to but that's the way it is unfortunately. You'd think this gimmick would have been dead and buried long ago. I can only think of one album where I thought there was a justifiable reason for it and even then I'd have preferred them not to do it. Besides, they always scare the shit out of me. I've drifted off, thinking about something else and suddenly music blasts unexpectedly through the speakers or headphones. It's not right.

Quote:

The Dears (No Cities Left)

I knew you wouldn't disappoint me tonton! We are awaiting the imminent arrival of our two selected sample tracks this minute - Lost in the Plot and I forgot what other one I had picked out was so I'll have to pick again (that's what happens when you get old see). But The Dears are looking good to score some moolah. If I wasn't such a cynic, I'd think you were being nice to me with that offering.

Ever thought about trying to break into the world of music journalism tonton? I think you'd be rather good at it and I'm almost certain you'd have the self-confidence to pull it off (I was going to say "chtuzpah" but I thought better of using a word I don't really understand. Or know how to pronounce ). Plus lots of sex is part of the deal. I'm almost certain it pays better than limerick writing.

Yours is next on the list skmdc. If it's got a tuba in it, it's gotta be good.
  • Reply 15 of 200
    New album just arrived today:

Simple Kid - 1

All good so far.
  • Reply 16 of 200
    "Get It Together" - Beastie Boys

Ill Communication - 1994
  • Reply 17 of 200
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    "All because of you" - U2 How to dismantle an atomic bomb

"Chocolate" - Snow Patrol Final Straw
  • Reply 18 of 200
    You listen to two songs at once? How do you enjoy it?

"Everyone Chooses Sides" - The Wrens

The Meadowlands - 2003
  • Reply 19 of 200
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Tim Curry "Simplicity". Man that one's taken some finding. 'Cause, you know, if the music industry can't make money out of it, then we just shouldn't be allowed to listen to it anymore. But his voice is just as good and sexy as I remembered it.

Yours is next on the list skmdc. If it's got a tuba in it, it's gotta be good.

I just saw Tim Curry the other night in Spamalot, and although he's not a fundamentaly great singer, he blew every other male voice off the stage (david hyde pierce, hank azaria, and a bunch of broadway journeymen, and i use that term with respect as they came the closest to Curry) but it made think of a Curry album I used to play in one of my stores, there was song about a brontasaures another called "birds of a feather".....man I loved that album!

anyway the reason I posted is the douglas is not yet on iTMS, (I'm told it will be, but when who knows) but it can be gotten here.

p.s. after some searching the tim curry record I'm recalling is READ MY LIPS

(get it? it was his first solo after RHPS) so it's off to eBay I go!
  • Reply 20 of 200
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by groverat

You listen to two songs at once? How do you enjoy it? [/QUOTE

Crossfade playback on maximum

Nah... U2 on iPod while flicking thru iTunes library on iMac (compiling new playlist)