New PowerBooks!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The PowerBook line has just been updated. No G5's, but increased specs. Highlights include:

1.5 and 1.67 GHz G4 cpu's

512MB RAM across the board as standard!!!

Larger disks than before (60/80 on 12", 100 on 17", think 15" is unchanged?)

Also, at least in the UK, I think the proces have dropped a bit (comparing against this news article about the price cuts in early January)

This is making it very hard to resist getting a 12" combo version .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

1.5 and 1.67 GHz G4 cpu's

512MB RAM across the board as standard!!!

Larger disks than before (60/80 on 12", 100 on 17", think 15" is unchanged?)

And Bluetooth+2.0 EDR, a scroll touchpad and dual link DVIs on the 15and 17-inch models.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

And Bluetooth+2.0 EDR, a scroll touchpad and dual link DVIs on the 15and 17-inch models.

You forgot the new scrolling trackpad thing. it looks interesting...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Some very nice touches like the accelleration sensor which parks the HD heads if the Notebook begins to fall to protect it from touching the platters and destroying the data on the disk.

And the digital audio on the 17" - I bet, a lot of people whish Apple had brought that to the 15" as well.

As to the CPUs, well... still the old 7447A :/
  • Reply 4 of 8
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    It's not "really" new. I don't know how Apple gets away with this crap. It's the same freaking trackpad that IS in all the powerbooks. (last revision) they just did a software control that lets you do scrolling on it. Much like sidetrack...

Yawn. Apple loves to sell people on things they should have included from the beginning and show it off as "innovative and new"

Just like the "new" "super" drive included. Where is dual layer burning? Oh wow really cool it supports + burning finally, like every other retailer hasn't offered this for a year.Apple just finally got up to "standard"... Meanwhile everyone else has been offering dual layer drives for at least 6 months. Even 3rd PARTY mac companies are offering it! $199 to have dual layer dvd burner added to any dell. Even the crappy cheepo ones...

" "W-Enhanced" pads that can detect two-fingers on the pad simultaneously. I suspect that this is what Apple is using. If this is the case there is a chance that Apple will be able to offer this feature on most Aluminum models."

I've had this scrolling feature on my iBook for over 6 months now kinda like the HP laptops that have had it for the last 2 years...

Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

You forgot the new scrolling trackpad thing. it looks interesting...

• Reply 5 of 8
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I wish somebody at Apple would read this. Somebody has to think these things as well?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    I agree. I've been using Sidetrack for years now and it works fine. Maybe Apple bought the software?

Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

It's not "really" new. I don't know how Apple gets away with this crap. It's the same freaking trackpad that IS in all the powerbooks. (last revision) they just did a software control that lets you do scrolling on it. Much like sidetrack...

" "W-Enhanced" pads that can detect two-fingers on the pad simultaneously. I suspect that this is what Apple is using. If this is the case there is a chance that Apple will be able to offer this feature on most Aluminum models."

I've had this scrolling feature on my iBook for over 6 months now kinda like the HP laptops that have had it for the last 2 years...

8)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

It's the same freaking trackpad that IS in all the powerbooks. (last revision) they just did a software control that lets you do scrolling on it. Much like sidetrack...

How do you know that it is a software and not a hardware implementation?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's seems that the powerbook G5 are not for tomorrow. IBM has still yet to produce low consumption G5. The 7447 G4 is the equivalent of the Pentium Mobile, and have the edge for consumptions issue over the G5.