Apple Unveils Faster, More Affordable PowerBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 197
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Fiber Optic In/Out is only available on the 17" model. No 128MB graphics option on the 1.5 GHz model anymore. What good are price cuts if you are forced to pick from the more expensive options? Damn you Apple.

That decides me, I need the 17" to get the optical output.
  • Reply 22 of 197
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I wonder what drive is being used for the Superdrive. Same as the Mac mini but without the firmware limiter? Someone please run System Profiler when you receive it. Thanks!
  • Reply 23 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Also, the 256+256 ram is only on the 12", the other two models have 2 DIMM slots that you can fill as you like

(no on-board ram).

Well spotted - thanks!

Re: comparing well to a PC, I went and tried to configure something similar on Dell's site. I ended up with:

Lattitude D400, 12" screen

2 GHz Pentium M

512 Mb

60 Gb Disk

(lose the insurance)

8xDVD+RW

No floppy drive

So basically a rather nasty laptop, missing several of the bits on the 12" SuperDrive PB, but with a better warranty and a bit lighter.

But it's a Dell, so it's cheap right?

GBP 1035, fifteen quid more expensive than the PowerBook.

Kudos to Apple, excellent work guys.

Martin.
  • Reply 24 of 197
    what was the pricing on the previous models?
  • Reply 25 of 197
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Very nice, the new goodies make it tempting. However I think I'm still going with the next Mini since I'm poor.

I wonder, is that new trackpad scrolling in software or hardware? In other words, could they update current PowerBooks for that?

Nice bump, good hard drives finally. Only thing is the NVIDIA. NVIDIA sucks in laptops. The G4, oh well, what can you do. Hopefully next time, Freescale will deliver.
  • Reply 26 of 197
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    The 17-incher is a pretty sweet laptop to get. I'll probably pick it up when

Mac OS 10.4 comes out. Any chance for the new OS to come out before

April though?
  • Reply 27 of 197
    No FW800 in 12"
  • Reply 28 of 197
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'll be right back, after I pour over the new PowerBook tech specs and find something new we can all cry over. </everyone>
  • Reply 29 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by datamodel

Well spotted - thanks!

Re: comparing well to a PC, I went and tried to configure something similar on Dell's site. I ended up with:

Lattitude D400, 12" screen

2 GHz Pentium M

512 Mb

60 Gb Disk

(lose the insurance)

8xDVD+RW

No floppy drive

So basically a rather nasty laptop, missing several of the bits on the 12" SuperDrive PB, but with a better warranty and a bit lighter.

But it's a Dell, so it's cheap right?

GBP 1035, fifteen quid more expensive than the PowerBook.

Kudos to Apple, excellent work guys.

Martin.

Oh come on, you can configure a much better system than that.

Inspiron 9200

17" Ultrasharp

Pentium M 2.1ghz "Dothan"

1gb DDR333

ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 128mb

100gb hard drive

8x DVD +/- dual layer burner

$2396

There, more powerful than the 17" Powerbook and cheaper too.
  • Reply 30 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by archer75

Inspiron 9200

17" Ultrasharp

1gb DDR333

100gb hard drive

$2396

OK - I was comparing the 12" SuperDrive as that's what I'd be in the market for, and in UK prices, as that's where I'd buy it, so looking for a realistic alternative.

But well done anyway, I'm sure.

M.
  • Reply 31 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by datamodel

OK - I was comparing the 12" SuperDrive as that's what I'd be in the market for, and in UK prices, as that's where I'd buy it, so looking for a realistic alternative.

But well done anyway, I'm sure.

M.

Ok, we'll look at another 12" from Dell.

Inspiron 700M

Pentium M 1.6ghz

1GB DDR333

60gb hard drive

Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics

Graphics aren't as good as the 12" powerbook. I think the one you configured would be a bit better.

Also, Dell has coupon codes out all the time that can be found at www.gotapex.com

In october they were giving $750 off notebooks.

That said, i'm actually selling my 2 dell notebooks so I can get a 17" powerbook.
  • Reply 32 of 197
    Quote:

Inspiron 9200

17" Ultrasharp

1gb DDR333

100gb hard drive

$2396

More powerful how, exactly? Is there one task that you can perform on that machine that you can't on the Powerbook? Or is it just some task that will take, like, 10 milliseconds longer on the Mac? Or just that some of the numbers are bigger?

Frankly, everyone here gets so worked up over there own fantasies of G5 ultra cheap mind-reading portables that anything seems disappointing. But my little iBook keeps chugging along, keeping me entertained and making me money.
  • Reply 33 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

More powerful how, exactly? Is there one task that you can perform on that machine that you can't on the Powerbook? Or is it just some task that will take, like, 10 milliseconds longer on the Mac? Or just that some of the numbers are bigger?

More ram, faster CPU.
  • Reply 34 of 197
    Quote:

More ram, faster CPU.

Ah, bigger numbers then. In real world applications, the 'Faster' cpu will make almost no difference. Comparing the different architectures is difficult--but for most of what a laptop is used for, I can't a big difference. I can't make my presentations run any faster, email any faster, and any speed gained on the bits of video I do would be lost trying to find a software package with as nice an interface as iMove or Final Cut Express.

RAM is cheap, and I always choose to go with the minimum possible from the vendor and upgrade for cheap elsewhere.

Just to be clear, the PC is not bad. It may be better in some ways and for some tasks. But the Apple is competitive--and it's just a pet peeve of mine when people compare numbers on machines, rather than looking at the tasks that need to be done with them. I can't count the number of people at work who have kick-ass video cards, and then just do email and word-processing. But the video card has bigger numbers, so they think they need it.
  • Reply 35 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Ah, bigger numbers then. In real world applications, the 'Faster' cpu will make almost no difference. Comparing the different architectures is difficult--but for most of what a laptop is used for, I can't a big difference. I can't make my presentations run any faster, email any faster, and any speed gained on the bits of video I do would be lost trying to find a software package with as nice an interface as iMove or Final Cut Express.

RAM is cheap, and I always choose to go with the minimum possible from the vendor and upgrade for cheap elsewhere.

Just to be clear, the PC is not bad. It may be better in some ways and for some tasks. But the Apple is competitive--and it's just a pet peeve of mine when people compare numbers on machines, rather than looking at the tasks that need to be done with them. I can't count the number of people at work who have kick-ass video cards, and then just do email and word-processing. But the video card has bigger numbers, so they think they need it.

I understand what you are saying. But if you can get more power for less, why not? For your uses more power would'nt make a difference, but a lower price would.

It's only gamers and video editors that need more power.
  • Reply 36 of 197
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    No you guys don't have to backtrack.

Dell laptops suck. That Inspiron 9200 starts at 7.7lbs before you add in battery and optical drive. That's damn near a 9lb laptop.

Now check the Powerbook 17"

Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (8)

Which do "YOU" want to carry around for any length of time?
  • Reply 37 of 197
    DAMN IT

i was going to order when they updated but now i have to sit back and think about things for a minute

i LOVE these updates except one thing really ticks me off...

WHY does apple Add an extra 215mb ram card instead of giving us ONE 512mb ram card. DAMN IT this would have made me buy one right now!

i wish the 12" had firewire800 and ati graphics (& maybe optical out) or at least a BTO option for these but that isnt such a big deal to me

...i guess ill have to really think hard about all this (as usual)

decisions decisions
  • Reply 38 of 197
    Quote:

I understand what you are saying. But if you can get more power for less, why not? For your uses more power would'nt make a difference, but a lower price would.

But my point is, numbers don't equal power. A smaller size, a better interface, and great application are more equivalent to "power" than a few more mhz that really won't make any difference to my tasks.

Just to make a ridiculous example, say you could get a video card that was twice as fast as you current one, for free, but it caused you machine to crash once every half an hour. Would this make you machine more powerful? No, even if they paid you to take it, it would still be a bad deal.

That's why the question when buying a computer has to start with what you wish to do with it, what applications you want to run, and what operating system you are comfortable with. You don't buy a car based solely on horsepower, and the engine may not even be the most important thing you are looking for.
  • Reply 39 of 197
    why would apple wait to roll out this update? considering their powerbook sales sucked last quarter, why wouldn't they introduce these models in early novemeber for example for the holiday season?

maybe they are trying to stretch out this out because the g5 powerbook is really going to take a while and this update has to last a looong time.

i'm guessing next macworld for a powerbook g5 announcement at the earliest based on this speedbump.

if not then someone in the powerbook division needs to fired.

at least we can see what future ibook specs look like after the powerbook goes g5.

chung
  • Reply 40 of 197
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

But the money saved would need to be spent on new software to replace iMovie and FinalCut Express, as he clearly points out.

And then you're still running windows, so you're more power is lost as the CPU gets clogged with spyware (or with virus and spyware removal tools running non-stop). And then all your productivity is lost just trying to remember how windows works when. [One of my biggest pet peeves is that certain actions in Windows work differently depending on specific states or criteria. For example, double-clicking a CD may or may not open the CD, or it might launch an installer, or it might launch a slide show or WMP. Another irritating example. Double-clicking a network connection will show the status, if its enabled. But if its disabled, it'll enable it. And sometimes, you'll go right to the properties screen. Do you know how hard it is to help a family member through some computer problem over the phone when you're not sure how anything is going to display or work each time they do a task? OK, enough venting, get the impression I spent way too much time on the phone last night trying to get networking working again?]