[ANN] -- Ambrosia releases WireTap Pro: your digital recording device

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Rochester, NY -- December 20, 2004 -- Today Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced the release of WireTap Pro: your all-purpose digital recording device. With the click of a button, WireTap Pro allows you to record any audio on your Mac. WireTap Pro's simple but powerful interface allows you to record audio from any running applications, as well as from any microphone, line-in, headset, and even your radioSHARK.

Want to record sound snippets from your favorite DVD movie, digitize your old record collection, record streaming audio from the Internet, or even use your iPod as a personal Dictaphone? WireTap Pro is your solution. Download it and try it out for free now:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    What makes it better than regular free wiretap? Also, what makes wiretap better than other program which do similar stuff?

I am not trying to be a jerk, i am simply wondering
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

What makes it better than regular free wiretap? Also, what makes wiretap better than other program which do similar stuff?

I am not trying to be a jerk, i am simply wondering

Everything that was free in the older, free WireTap continues to be free in WireTap Pro. You can use it to your heart's content to record AIFF recordings, and never pay for it.

As for what's new in it, it's really almost too much to mention -- .mp3, .m4a (AAC), and QuickTime movie file formats, recording from the Microphone/line in, scheduled recording sessions, radioSHARK integration, packaged sessions... give it a whirl.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    off subject, but is there any chance you'll release a SnapzPro Lite that has somekind of video recording features... but costs less? I need to capture on-screen video like once or twice per year, and I just cant get myself to unload 60+ $

Dont get me wrong, SnapzPro is just simply amazingly well done and worth every penny... but would be nice to have a sort of occassional use license too.. like pay 10 dollars for 10x24hour sessions... or something... :-) Software rental concept.

Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

off subject, but is there any chance you'll release a SnapzPro Lite that has somekind of video recording features... but costs less? I need to capture on-screen video like once or twice per year, and I just cant get myself to unload 60+ $

Dont get me wrong, SnapzPro is just simply amazingly well done and worth every penny... but would be nice to have a sort of occassional use license too.. like pay 10 dollars for 10x24hour sessions... or something... :-) Software rental concept.

Thanks!

Hopefully not to hijack, but along those lines: anything come out of consideration for Education pricing on Snaps Pro? I mentioned it when it first came out, but hadn't really heard anything since.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    How does Wiretap compare with Audio Hijack, which I just bought. I see there is an "upgrade" path for AH users. Should I stick with what I got?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by parvenu

How does Wiretap compare with Audio Hijack, which I just bought. I see there is an "upgrade" path for AH users. Should I stick with what I got?

Try them both, and see which you prefer. I'm obviously biased
  • Reply 7 of 15
    If you own a radioSHARK... check it out:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/ind...cmd=si&img=286
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Do I need Radioshark to download and save streaming audio with Wiretap Pro, or can Wiretap use Audio Hijack? Or can Wiretap do it w/o Radioshark?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by parvenu

Do I need Radioshark to download and save streaming audio with Wiretap Pro, or can Wiretap use Audio Hijack? Or can Wiretap do it w/o Radioshark?

You do not need a RadioSHARK to record streaming audio with WireTap Pro. The radioSHARK support is just an added feature. Audio Hijack is not needed either; one of the things WireTap Pro does is what Audio Hijack does.

Download it and give it a try.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Dominic has created some very useful AppleScripts for use in conjunction with WireTap Pro. They also serve as nice examples of how to AppleScript WireTap Pro. Grab 'em here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/addons.html

TimedRecording:

This script starts WireTap Pro recording and stops it after the specified duration (in minutes).

If WireTap Pro is already recording, it will still stop the recording after the specified duration.

iTunesSplit:

This script will record the currently selected track in iTunes with WireTap Pro and split it evenly into the specified number of recordings. The folder that the recordings will be saved into on the Desktop is also specified when the script is run.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Rochester, NY -- January 31, 2005 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the release of WireTap Pro 1.0.1. This minor revision, which is free to registered users of WireTap Pro 1.0.x, may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/wiretap/

WireTap Pro 1.0.1 features the following changes/enhancements:

-- Now includes Traditional Chinese localization.

-- Includes an updated kernel extension that addresses a problem with some sound cards.

-- Scheduled sessions now run properly when WireTap Pro isn't already running.

-- Fixes several crashes that could occur during recording.

-- Fixes a hang that could occur during saving when encoding fell behind.

-- Fixes a crash that could occur when launching the System Prefs during recording.

-- Fixes a problem that could result in new sessions that couldn't be edited.

-- Fixes a crash that could occur when plugging or unplugging some devices.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Rochester, NY -- May 24th, 2005 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the release of WireTap Pro 1.1.0. This major revision, which is free to registered users of WireTap Pro 1.0.x, may be downloaded here:

WireTap Pro 1.1.0 features the following changes/enhancements:

-- MacOS X 10.4.x (aka "Tiger") compatibility

-- A "dual recording" mode allows you to record both Microphone and Mac audio simultaneously (great for recording Skype conversations)

-- WireTap Pro now contains a built-in equalizer with useful presets for optimal recordings

-- A new Tivo-like "one-off timed recording" feature that allows you to record with a time delay

-- Adds support for Automator actions under MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger)

-- Fixes a few bugs in the underlying recording mechanism that will make for better recordings for some users

-- Addresses a number of bugs and issues

• Reply 13 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Hi Moki,

The upgrade works great so far.

Considering the name of the product, it'd be great if there were instructions/suggestions on how to use it to record phone conversations.

From time to time I need to do an interview by phone, and it would be great to have the call go directly to my hard drive instead of trying to hold a microphone near the handset.

I realize that this will require some kind of hardware interface from the phone to the Mac, but I can't think of what I need to get.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

From time to time I need to do an interview by phone, and it would be great to have the call go directly to my hard drive instead of trying to hold a microphone near the handset.

I realize that this will require some kind of hardware interface from the phone to the Mac, but I can't think of what I need to get.

Hrm. Well, if you did your interview via Skype, WireTap Pro would work for that with no hardware.

Barring that, I suppose you'd need some kind of an audio-output port on your telephone... I'm sure there is some solution for this, but I'm not aware of what it specifically would be.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Rochester, NY -- September 28, 2005 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the release of WireTap Pro 1.1.2. This minor bug-fix update of the audio capture utility, which is free to registered users of WireTap Pro 1.0.x, may be downloaded here:

WireTap Pro 1.1.2 features the following changes/enhancements:

-- Lowers WireTap Pro's encoding thread's priority to alleviate a problem with skipping playback in DVD player during recording.

-- Trimming could cause "Recording too short" errors in subsequent recordings. This has been fixed.

-- Resolves an outstanding incompatibility with Skype.

-- No longer mutes the audio on non-default output devices when recording.

-- Trimming now trims absolute silence as expected.

-- Fixes several 10.2.8 (Jaguar) issues.

-- Saving to iTunes now works as expected.

-- Other bug fixes. See "WireTap Pro notes.txt" for a complete listing.