Worth it to buy Shuffle?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have an iPod already and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and get the Shuffle as well. Anyone have and love the Shuffle? I listen to songs in shuffle anyways so I dont care about no menu, but should I get it if I already have a normal iPod or no?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I got my 1gig Shuffle a couple of days ago and I really like it.

I've got a 40gig iPod that I've been using move files back and forth between work and home. Kinda want to get away from using my iPod for that, so I bought the Shuffle.

It's tiny! And very light.

I lost it for a while before I discovered it in a shirt pocket.

If you can afford to have both - why not. As easy as the regular iPod is to take where ever you go, the Shuffle is so small that you won't even know that you have it in your pocket.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I finally got my iPod shuffle today (should have arrived last Wednesday, but I missed the delivery, and TNT didn't bother to turn up for the re-arranged date on Friday!) Quite happy with it - nice and small, and the sound quality is pretty good. I'll probably keep it until the 5th gen iPod is out, and then possibly swap it then. If you have the money, I'd certainly recommend one of each. The shuffle is ideal for things like the gym, and for when you have two many things to carry already!

The only things that I have noticed today is that;

1) I personally would very occasionally like a little more bass in it

2) It would be nice to be able to jump to the next artist using a special key combination when using it in standard mode (eg hit forward three times in quick succession or something - I'm sure this could be added in a firmware update Apple?!)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

I got my 1gig Shuffle a couple of days ago and I really like it.

I've got a 40gig iPod that I've been using move files back and forth between work and home. Kinda want to get away from using my iPod for that, so I bought the Shuffle.

It's tiny! And very light.

I lost it for a while before I discovered it in a shirt pocket.

If you can afford to have both - why not. As easy as the regular iPod is to take where ever you go, the Shuffle is so small that you won't even know that you have it in your pocket.

Does the shuffle work as a plug and play flash drive - if it does that I'm sold - if it doesn't my order may be cancelled!!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Does the shuffle work as a plug and play flash drive - if it does that I'm sold - if it doesn't my order may be cancelled!!

It does indeed. When you are on your main computer, just go to the iPod preferences in iTunes and set a certain amount of space to be set aside for a flash drive. After doing this, this space will always be reserved as a separate partition, and loads up when you plug the iPod in anywhere.

As an aside, further to my previous comments, I have sorted my complaints with the slight lack of bass - changing the headphone covers on my Sonys from Small to Medium (you get three sizes with the Sony MDR-EX71SL headphones) has made it sound much better- I should have done this years ago! I highly recommend getting these headphones in white for your iPod - great quality, and very little background noise. My iPod headphones have never been out of the wrapping!

Also, in reponse to people complaining about the button on the back, it really isn't fiddly, you just need to know how to do it, then it is incredibly easy. My only slight gripe is that it seems a bit sluggish in skipping forward to different tracks. Still, I'm happy because it is insanely light, so I'd still give it 9 out of 10
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

It does indeed. When you are on your main computer, just go to the iPod preferences in iTunes and set a certain amount of space to be set aside for a flash drive. After doing this, this space will always be reserved as a separate partition, and loads up when you plug the iPod in anywhere.

As an aside, further to my previous comments, I have sorted my complaints with the slight lack of bass - changing the headphone covers on my Sonys from Small to Medium (you get three sizes with the Sony MDR-EX71SL headphones) has made it sound much better- I should have done this years ago! I highly recommend getting these headphones in white for your iPod - great quality, and very little background noise. My iPod headphones have never been out of the wrapping!

Also, in reponse to people complaining about the button on the back, it really isn't fiddly, you just need to know how to do it, then it is incredibly easy. My only slight gripe is that it seems a bit sluggish in skipping forward to different tracks. Still, I'm happy because it is insanely light, so I'd still give it 9 out of 10

Brilliant I'm sold - I told my gf it was plug and play so thought i better check!! I'm getting hers tomorrow.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The Shuffle does NOT work as a PnP USB drive on Windows PCs. It requires a driver installed first. May be a non-issue for some of you. I'd like to use the Shuffle as a tech device on PCs at work, but since all 600 PCs would need the driver, its not gonna happen. Back to Lexar for USB thumb drives (for my PCs).

The Shuffle DOES work as a PnP drive on OS X. Pretty cool little device. Handy too.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    I don't see why PC users would buy a shuffle when the lexar flash device is coming out in a little bit. I've heard that with the lexar thing it has a screen and you can view text document on it. Dont know why you would want to do that but it might be pretty cool. I have always felt that iPods work better on macs.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

I don't see why PC users would buy a shuffle when the lexar flash device is coming out in a little bit. I've heard that with the lexar thing it has a screen and you can view text document on it. Dont know why you would want to do that but it might be pretty cool. I have always felt that iPods work better on macs.

I've used an iPod on both Macs and PCs and the user experience was exactly the same - apart from the PCs wouldn't charge it because they were laptops.