iPod Exchange

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As a reward at work, I was just given an iPod mini. It's a lovely machine, but I could really use a larger model. So I called CompUSA and BestBuy, but neither of them will allow me to exchange the iPod mini. Does anyone know of a store that would allow this kind of exchange? I don't have a receipt, obviously, since it was a gift. I guess if worse comes to worse, I could eBay the mini--but it used to be fairly common for stores to do exchanges of unopened merchandise sans receipt.

If only the nearest Apple Store wasn't Denver.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

As a reward at work, I was just given an iPod mini. It's a lovely machine, but I could really use a larger model. So I called CompUSA and BestBuy, but neither of them will allow me to exchange the iPod mini. Does anyone know of a store that would allow this kind of exchange? I don't have a receipt, obviously, since it was a gift. I guess if worse comes to worse, I could eBay the mini--but it used to be fairly common for stores to do exchanges of unopened merchandise sans receipt.

If only the nearest Apple Store wasn't Denver.

I honestly haven't heard of a store doing that in YEARS.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I honestly haven't heard of a store doing that in YEARS.

That's the problem with being old, Years used to seem like a long time. Now, they shoot by and I can't keep track of them. Nordstroms used to be famous for doing this, even with products they didn't carry. They used to brag about someone returning a set of tires.

I guess I'll have to settle for eBay.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    They stopped doing it because people were returning stuff they stole from other stores.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    A friend of mine exchanged his gifted mini, no prob, at The Apple Store, San Francisco. Almost sure he didn't have a receipt.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by josephg

A friend of mine exchanged his gifted mini, no prob, at The Apple Store, San Francisco. Almost sure he didn't have a receipt.

apple stores can check the bar code for sales history
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

apple stores can check the bar code for sales history

They are building an Apple Store in Salt Lake City, eventually. Then I'll only be two hours away from one. Until then, I'm stuck, although I may check the local Mac dealer and see if they can do anything.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to resist the temptation to open the box? Yeesh.