Will the miniMac drive down used Mac prices?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just something I was thinking about the other day, why spend >$800 on a used Quicksilver, or >$600 on a used 'iceBook', when you can get a mini and a 3rd party display for that? (comparing reseller prices) I think it's very possible there could be a drop in used Mac prices due to the mini, at least in the models less capable than the mini. Discuss...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Just something I was thinking about the other day, why spend >$800 on a used Quicksilver, or >$600 on a used 'iceBook', when you can get a mini and a 3rd party display for that? (comparing reseller prices) I think it's very possible there could be a drop in used Mac prices due to the mini, at least in the models less capable than the mini. Discuss...

I thought of this as soon as they came out. My dad repairs and sells old macs for part of his living - I hope that he did not have a lot of stock on hand, because I am sure that the prices dropped like a rock.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I think they will eventually. Prices on eBay seem to be the same.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    The mini is rather limited (256MB, tiny & slow notebook hard drive, outdated GPU). By the time you add features on, the $499 pricepoint is long gone. Not to mention the upgrades are nothing to get excited over... 4x Superdrive... 1GB RAM... 80GB 4200rpm 2.5" HD. A used Power Mac on the other hand, retains its value far better. Upgrades are cheap and plentiful: there's a variety of GPUs, nearly all of which destroy a Radeon 9200 32MB. 16x dual layer burners for under $60. 3 or 4 RAM slots. Up to 4 hard drives. Multiple displays, optical drives, dual CPU's, multiple PCI slots, etc.

A used Power Mac is a very viable option right now even with the new Mini. They're vastly different and are not directly competing-- and that's why the mini won't drive the price down. It may drive the price of the eMac/iMac down, however.