Which old PB should I take?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a choice between a 3 month old 1.5GHz 15inch Superdrive or a 2 week old 1.33 spuerdrive 12. The 15 has one small dent on the lid. I only go back and forth to work so not much traveling. It's up to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I have a choice between a 3 month old 1.5GHz 15inch Superdrive or a 2 week old 1.33 spuerdrive 12. The 15 has one small dent on the lid. I only go back and forth to work so not much traveling. It's up to me.

The 15 inch has a better screen, so if portability is not your biggest issue I would go with it. The 12 inch is great, but does make some compromises in order to keep the size small.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Have you had a chance to test drive them both? This is really a personal decision. Neither is a bad machine. One differentiation may be the internals. The 15" PB probably has a better bus, HD, GPU and such. The 15" has a PC card slot and FW 800 port and an S-video out port which are missing on the 12" PB.

I have a 15 inch Al 1.25GHz and just love it. I've had five or six PBs going back to the original PB 140 and this one is far superior to the others. The screen is large and bright and very sharp. The speed is adequate for most of what I do. OS X handles everything you throw at it as far as running multiple programs at the same time.

While making an applications note I was running the following:

VPC with windows 2k with a proprietary app we sell

Stone Studio Create for creating some quick graphics

Graphic Converter for prepping images

Tex-Edit Plus for text editing notes and such

InDesign for laying out the document

DeltaGraph 5 for generating charts

Mariner Calc for spread sheet calculations

Safari for reading manuals

OS X Mail - just to keep in touch while working

Preview
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Here is a picture of the "ding" on the cover.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yikes, thats an ugly dent!!!

If the dent isn't really an issue to you I'd get the 15", the extra speed and screen real-estate can make quite a difference - especially if you're going to be working on it a lot.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Lord, what it must be like to have to make such choices! [/youbastardmode]

If you don't mind the extra size I agree with Qchem, go for the 15.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have decided to keep the 12. I have a nice big display on my desks at home and the office. I did tell him that if he gets the cover fixed and there is no damage to the display I would do the trade then. I noticed this morning that the dent was causing a faint white mark on the screen and did not want to risk it dying and be out a whole display.