PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 632
    Thanks again for your thoughts.

On Jan 20th I ordered a dual 2.0. I ordered an extra GB of RAM from OWC, which I will install myself. I went for the $50 extra card. Next year, or the year after, when I start to get the hankering for more power, I will buy the best card available.

I also bought a 20" apple display, which has already arrived.

Apple store quoted me 2-4 days shipping for my BTO Dual 2.0... they just sent me a message last night saying it would be delayed until Feb 1st.

Sigh.

-d
  • Reply 42 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I had no idea so many others in here were as dependent on the PowerMac as I am from what Apple has to offer from their lineup. I really have no use for any other Mac that they have. I have no idea what they intend to do to the PowerMac in the next revision of the motherboard, and processor, but I am curious because it will give me a clear indication of where they intend to take it in the near future. I can only hope. (again)
  • Reply 43 of 632
    I'd wait for Antares
  • Reply 44 of 632
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    so the new updated powerbooks have just been announced. which actually seem better equiped and more up to date then the powermacs...

am hoping something similar hits the pm's very soon
  • Reply 45 of 632
    Oh the pain...

I went through that "OMG-I-need-a-new-machine" agony... 4 years ago. Eventually you get over it.

I'm posting this from my rev1 B&W G3, bought in Feb 1999 (?) making it my six year old beauty. Recall, if you will, those heady days of the early candy towers. We were seeing the new apple for the very first time (and those lovely clamshell ibooks with *gasp* airport!). I was scouring the appleinsider boards for months prior to that release, and there were indeed hints that something big was in the air. I jumped on the train at that time, with the release of the G3 blue beauty, buzzing with the expectation that I would have a machine to past well into the future... 2-3 years at least! Heh.

Well, shortly after the G4 was released I started to feel the upgrade itch. Velocity engin sounded fast... and then there were speed holes... well, that almost broke me. But you know what? I took a hard look at my usage and my needs. They had not changed much over the years. I was pretty hardcore in some ways. My machine was dual boot linux/OSX. I was doing unix apps on OSX long before Fink came out. I was doing scientific computing. And I like playing some games on occasion, with Quake3 Arena, Baldurs Gate, Everquest and Unreal Tournament really at various times pushing my hardware to the edge. Amorph is right though. Look at what you really need, and what you have. Is the OS or app you use unbearably slow? Most of us are subject to the "OMG-I-think-I-need-a-new-machine" agony, and not the "OMG-I-need-a-new-machine" agony.

That said, six years is pushing it. I am beginning to need a new machine. It's a testiment to Apple that they manufactured a machine that was functional as long as this one has been. But maybe its time to upgrade. Or maybe I'll wait for 2006. Seven years doesn't sound bad, does it? Just imagine the upgrade experience...
  • Reply 46 of 632
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wormboy

Oh the pain...

I went through that "OMG-I-need-a-new-machine" agony... 4 years ago. Eventually you get over it.

I'm posting this from my rev1 B&W G3, bought in Feb 1999 (?) making it my six year old beauty. Recall, if you will, those heady days of the early candy towers. We were seeing the new apple for the very first time (and those lovely clamshell ibooks with *gasp* airport!). I was scouring the appleinsider boards for months prior to that release, and there were indeed hints that something big was in the air. I jumped on the train at that time, with the release of the G3 blue beauty, buzzing with the expectation that I would have a machine to past well into the future... 2-3 years at least! Heh.

Well, shortly after the G4 was released I started to feel the upgrade itch. Velocity engin sounded fast... and then there were speed holes... well, that almost broke me. But you know what? I took a hard look at my usage and my needs. They had not changed much over the years. I was pretty hardcore in some ways. My machine was dual boot linux/OSX. I was doing unix apps on OSX long before Fink came out. I was doing scientific computing. And I like playing some games on occasion, with Quake3 Arena, Baldurs Gate, Everquest and Unreal Tournament really at various times pushing my hardware to the edge. Amorph is right though. Look at what you really need, and what you have. Is the OS or app you use unbearably slow? Most of us are subject to the "OMG-I-think-I-need-a-new-machine" agony, and not the "OMG-I-need-a-new-machine" agony.

That said, six years is pushing it. I am beginning to need a new machine. It's a testiment to Apple that they manufactured a machine that was functional as long as this one has been. But maybe its time to upgrade. Or maybe I'll wait for 2006. Seven years doesn't sound bad, does it? Just imagine the upgrade experience...

I got that beat! I still have a functional Powermac 7100/66 (upgraded to

250mhz, 4 gig hardrive & 128meg ram max.) I pretty much use it for

internet & wordperfect but the ROI for a 10 year old computer is still pretty

amazing. I use my computer at work for the heavy duty stuff.
  • Reply 47 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by wormboy

Seven years doesn't sound bad, does it? Just imagine the upgrade experience...

You make me miss my Duo 280c. I still boot it up from time to time.

I typed the letters off the keys on that thing. 5 years of bliss.

Life was so much less cluttered when my hard drive was 320 mb.

*Sigh*

I just ordered a Dual 2.0. I think it will last me 3 years before the itch once again becomes unbearable and I buy a "Mac Cell."

-beagle
  • Reply 48 of 632
    Silver bullet please!
  • Reply 49 of 632
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    With the PBs updated today, can it be too long before PMs are updated - I think tomarrow - A 1500$PM has the same specs as a 12 inch pbook sans the chip - and HALF THE RAM!
  • Reply 50 of 632
    Not tomorrow.

2 weeks, at least.

Apple has to ride its press like a wave.

Nothing has been rumored at all.
  • Reply 51 of 632
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Silver bullet please!

Nice one!
  • Reply 52 of 632
    I think you could be right guys ! -- well I hope

It is stupid the powerbook coming with 512mb when some powermacs only come with 256mb

But I bet they will just change the memory this week. Look they've changed prices and the delivery date has fallen down. But does this mean that we can expect a proper update very soon or just the memory ??

I'm hoping for a full update something that gets me to try in my debit card details. But I've been disappointed toooooo many times. I've been waiting since late November for a new update and its driving me crazy.

I MUST STOP READING RUMOUR FORUMS maybe then something will surprise me.

David
  • Reply 53 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    With the release of the G4 PowerBook It makes you wonder if Apple is going to try and keep everything level, or put as much as they can in the PowerMac G5. At least it can sustain the heat of a newer processor if they have one. And it will keep their Power-Line of computers looking a step ahead comparatively vs. consumer level Macs.

BTW .. I knew there was no way they would get a G5 into a PowerBook yet.
  • Reply 54 of 632
    I have lived with my G4 Cube for a couple of years now, still on a 450 MHz. With a geforce3 card and a MCE SuperDrive upgrade, my Cube tugs along nicely. Burning DVD´s for my family is a nice and easy process. Though it takes about 10-14 hours !!!!!

So, I am definitely in a need for a new Powermac. BUT ....... !

With all this stuff about completely new PPC architectures ( Antares ? ) circulating the ´net, I am prepared to wait a little longer. And in the meantime, I am invest in a tiny little thing called . . . . . . .

Mac Mini.

Eventually, I will then buy a 20" apple LCD. And in 2006, my bank-account is ready for the PowerMac monster.

Zon
  • Reply 55 of 632
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Yes, I am also waiting for a PowerMac revision as well. It's been too looonnnng!

Faster CPU (3gig,PLEASE!), more standard memory (CHEAPER TOO!), 16x DVD dual layer burner and bigger standard hard drive are big priorities. it's about time Apple!

My feeling we might see this before end of March. My bet for the 2005 WWDC is the launch of Powerbook G5. So, I think that's why the PowerMacs will be here soon.
  • Reply 56 of 632
    ^^My thoughts exactly. Pleeeaase update, I've been waiting for a long time too. I just registered to drop my comment 'cause I feel your pain!
  • Reply 57 of 632
    I too am waiting. Will be buying a dual as soon as the Power Macs are upgraded.... it feels like a long wait...*sigh*
  • Reply 58 of 632
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

I too am waiting. Will be buying a dual as soon as the Power Macs are upgraded.... it feels like a long wait...*sigh*

I agree. I wanted to buy a dual G5 when they were released in 2003, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the offer, so I decided to wait until the next revision, which I wasn't satisfied by either, so I'm hoping the 2005 revision will kick ass. If not, I'll wait another year.
  • Reply 59 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

I agree. I wanted to buy a dual G5 when they were released in 2003, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the offer, so I decided to wait until the next revision, which I wasn't satisfied by either, so I'm hoping the 2005 revision will kick ass. If not, I'll wait another year.

Unfortunately I don't expect the next Power Mac revision to be more than a slightly incremental upgrade (in the same way as the PowerBooks): slightly higher clock speed (maybe up to 2.8 Ghz), more RAM on the low end models, better graphics (better be!), more HD etc. Nothing too exciting (although I'd love to be surprised )....

I'm still going to buy one though (and a 20" cinema deisplay) because I'll need it for my work this spring. However I am NOT going to buy one of the current model nomatter how long the wait for the new ones.
  • Reply 60 of 632
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    agreed. the current line up is 7months old, which is eons in tech/computer time. and still damn expensive.

any kind of upgrade, and i'll dish out the dough. am guessing that it will come soon, a minor upgrade, and we'll all be happy until wwdc when the big new pm's are announced (or spoken of).