What is up with Gmail.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
GMail just gave me 50 invites in my account. This is just from 1 acount. Are they ready to get out of beta or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Seems like it should have been out of beta a while ago. I wonder if this whole invite-only aura is just a marketing ploy. Who could even possible give out 50 invites at this point?

Whatever, I'm not complaining. Gmail rocks. Just wish it had IMAP support.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

Seems like it should have been out of beta a while ago. I wonder if this whole invite-only aura is just a marketing ploy.

Agreed... what in the hell are they still testing over there at gmail? I've been using it for only a few months now, but I have found that I like the clean interface more than hotmail's and the free storage space is really cool. Maybe they are working on a premium type pay service or something? to be released whenever gmail gets out of beta?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i think its a god idea to have it invite only. potentially keeps out no-good people and signing up for dozens of temp accounts, etc etc...

I have probs with logging in to Gmail through web (safari). It does really weird things, sometimes goes into a loop. *sigh*
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    its still in Beta because they need to get ready for the huge demand - their servers need to be ready and stable, the software needs to work good, etc.

plus they're adding new features all the time, so they keep it in Beta until they are done with their feature-goal so they can release a full-featured Gmail instead of a basic one whilst adding features later on.

good practice, I say.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Tired of the "loading" tennis match...

Loading in red box on left. (usually stays on this until I refresh).

Loading in plain Times, no box on left.

Loading in red box on right.

Gmail loads.

Until that's fixed, it's beta in my book.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    I have probs with logging in to Gmail through web (safari). It does really weird things, sometimes goes into a loop. *sigh* [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah... I've noticed the same thing. I have to ask Safari to reload after the password page, before it'll cough up the message page.

What's up with that?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

[B]Whatever, I'm not complaining. Gmail rocks. Just wish it had IMAP support. [00/B]

I have it working good in Thunderbird, but it's a bit strange without threading, so every time I click Get Mail, it loads ALL of the replies that have been sent between me and a friend in a given conversation, not just the new ones.

And it doesn't work in Apple mail.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I know that the gig makes message size less of an issue, but is there no way to organize messages by size or at least have the size included in the mailbox view? I don't really have time to go fooling around with it at the moment, so I may be overlooking something obvious...

--B
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

And it doesn't work in Apple mail. [/B]

It works fine for me. Have you followed the instruction in your Gmail account settings?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It works fine for me. Have you followed the instruction in your Gmail account settings?

You mean POP?

POP settings take up to a day to be actually enabled in gmail, for me at least.

Works fine after that, but it drove me nuts when setting it up. One of those instances where you enter the right info in the first time but then when it doesn't work right away, you go through countless variations of what you know are probably wrong pieces of info.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

You mean POP?

POP settings take up to a day to be actually enabled in gmail, for me at least.

Works fine after that, but it drove me nuts when setting it up. One of those instances where you enter the right info in the first time but then when it doesn't work right away, you go through countless variations of what you know are probably wrong pieces of info.

Yes, I meant POP. I remember them having instructions for Apple Mail. I tried Mail.app back when they enabled POP and it worked fine for me. Then I switched to Thunderbird. Which is a better e-mail client, but Mail has a better interface. Oh well, trade-offs. Why must they exist?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    not enough server space?

I just got the ability to invite up to FIFTY people... crazy. They musta upgraded/expanded their servers
  • Reply 13 of 13
    go get entourage. it's just.. amazing. best mac mail client bar none.. its just too bad office x is such crap.