Garageband2 pitch bender

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I finally got iLife05 and have been messing around with Gband for a while. It appears as though the only way to "enchance tuning" on a small section is to move it to its own track, which is stupid. I've tried splitting it into a separate loop and only selecting portions i want to change, but it's either on or off for the whole track. Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Does it actually work? Also, is there a site with garageband tutorials anywhere? I want to make guitar loops (my own guitar) but when I record I always get silence before and after I finish playing because it takes me a second to go from hitting record to playing guitar, then hitting pause. It's really hard to edit it perfectly manually.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

Does it actually work? Also, is there a site with garageband tutorials anywhere? I want to make guitar loops (my own guitar) but when I record I always get silence before and after I finish playing because it takes me a second to go from hitting record to playing guitar, then hitting pause. It's really hard to edit it perfectly manually.

it sorta works. i'm actually not too happy with ilife05 in general. iphoto is the best, but still needs a couple basic UI changes. anyways, if you play with the metronome in gband, you should be able to trim your loops right up to when you start playing. also, if you zoom in more using the slider on the left (near the top) it allos you to make more precise edits. its kinda similar to iMovie like that--the more zoomed in you are, the more accurate the cutting.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it sorta works. i'm actually not too happy with ilife05 in general. iphoto is the best, but still needs a couple basic UI changes. anyways, if you play with the metronome in gband, you should be able to trim your loops right up to when you start playing. also, if you zoom in more using the slider on the left (near the top) it allos you to make more precise edits. its kinda similar to iMovie like that--the more zoomed in you are, the more accurate the cutting.

I tried both of those but it still doesn't come out perfect. The program doesn't have an option to do this automatically?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

You can have the metronome count in for you before it starts recording. I guess I'm not sure I understand the problem - you should be able to adjust the size of the recording within your track to whatever you want. Maybe it's a latency issue? Are you getting a delay where you think it should have recorded?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    No, let me try to illustrate it.

The -'s = silence

The +'s = me playing guitar

This is what I want

|+++|+++|+++|+++|+++|

This is what I get when I try to loop

|--+++--||--+++--||--+++--|

Basically the silence happens between the time I click record and start playing. It's not latency, I just can't start playing the exact second I hit record.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

No, let me try to illustrate it.

The -'s = silence

The +'s = me playing guitar

This is what I want

|+++|+++|+++|+++|+++|

This is what I get when I try to loop

|--+++--||--+++--||--+++--|

Basically the silence happens between the time I click record and start playing. It's not latency, I just can't start playing the exact second I hit record.

right--if you put the cursor on the left edge of the first 'loop' or whatever, it turns into a |-> or something like that. use that to clear out the silence. If you can't get it at the right spot, zoom in or out using the slider (bottom left) and you will be trimming over a smaller or bigger space, which will let you eliminate just the silence.