Those wacky check marks in iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there no way to check (or uncheck) more than one song at a time in iTunes?

I'm not talking about selecting them... I mean the little check mark next to the song name...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by sasa

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there no way to check (or uncheck) more than one song at a time in iTunes?

I'm not talking about selecting them... I mean the little check mark next to the song name...

you can use apple+click to do it. i still have no idea why people use those check marks. just delete them from your playlist.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you can use apple+click to do it. i still have no idea why people use those check marks. just delete them from your playlist.

how can you delete them from your playlist? I don't use them but for those with small capacity iPods they can uncheck the songs they don't want transferred or played. I think it's a good idea.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

how can you delete them from your playlist? I don't use them but for those with small capacity iPods they can uncheck the songs they don't want transferred or played. I think it's a good idea.

i dont make playlists with songs in them that i dont listen to. thats jsut dumb. so if i stop liking a song, i delete it from a playlist or listen to a different playlist. you know you can just tell itunes to only sync up certain playlists right? so if you have a small pod you can just only sync up the playlists with tunes you wanna listen to, and then maybe a couple with songs you might wanna listen to. do what you like, but i swear i havent found anyone with more efficient music organization than i use and i've never touched the check boxes.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    Apple + click... yeah, that works. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i still have no idea why people use those check marks. just delete them from your playlist.

Sure, but if you want to sync - for instance - and you want all your music except, say Xmas music (humor me here)... the only way to tell it NOT to transfer to the ipod is by unchecking the boxes.

I agree, though, they do seem a bit redundant.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, you can't just delete songs from smart playlists for one. Also, you can choose to manage your iPod's songs manually, or simply select which playlists to sync, so you're not stuck with checking and unchecking songs.

I uncheck all my audiobook and spoken word tracks because I don't want them playing in the middle of a workout or showing up in some playlists like my top rated or most played. Unchecking them keeps them out of those smart playlists, and I can listen to them when I specifically select them. If I could describe exceptions to the smart playlists rules (include this but not that), then I wouldn't have to do this, but in the meantime this approach works.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Well, you can't just delete songs from smart playlists for one. Also, you can choose to manage your iPod's songs manually, or simply select which playlists to sync, so you're not stuck with checking and unchecking songs.

I uncheck all my audiobook and spoken word tracks because I don't want them playing in the middle of a workout or showing up in some playlists like my top rated or most played. Unchecking them keeps them out of those smart playlists, and I can listen to them when I specifically select them. If I could describe exceptions to the smart playlists rules (include this but not that), then I wouldn't have to do this, but in the meantime this approach works.

make a workout playlist (and obviously dont include spoken content or whatever). this is what i was talking about earlier. if you dont want to add songs individually, make a smart playlist that says (for example):

match ANY of the following criteria:

genre is: rock

genre is: alternative

playlist is: upbeat songs

and there you have it. all your faster music and no spoken words. if you have a small pod and cant sync up everything, go into itunes>prefs>ipod, and select only your workout playlsit and maybe one other. then you dont have to go through and uncheck lots of stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I like my way better. Whenever I try to make a workout playlist, it never sounds right in the gym. I'm better off with shuffle play from the library for whatever reason. Anyway, there's more than one way to get things done. It's not prescriptive.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

I do think this deserves the attention we're giving it. I have hundreds of playlists. But not all the songs I like are in playlists. If i wanted to not include a few albums I can uncheck them, I don't have to go through my playlists and take them out - it's actually more efficient. I said I didn't use the buttons but could see the use.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

I do think this deserves the attention we're giving it.

Oh, if we only talked about things that deserved attention here, it'd be an awfully empty forum... don't ya think?

• Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

I like my way better. Whenever I try to make a workout playlist, it never sounds right in the gym. I'm better off with shuffle play from the library for whatever reason. Anyway, there's more than one way to get things done. It's not prescriptive.

agreed
  • Reply 11 of 19
    the way i set up my smart playlists is by using a kind of "quota" system. i'm quite genre orientated, i have a 15gb pod, so i tend to set up quotas of particular genres, say a random 3gigs of rock, 3gigs of live stuff etc. then i make another list with a random selection of whatever's left. using checkboxes i can disclude tracks that i don't want to listen to on the move or am bored of.

this is quicker than making stacks of "manual" playlists... seems to work for me
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

the way i set up my smart playlists is by using a kind of "quota" system. i'm quite genre orientated, i have a 15gb pod, so i tend to set up quotas of particular genres, say a random 3gigs of rock, 3gigs of live stuff etc. then i make another list with a random selection of whatever's left. using checkboxes i can disclude tracks that i don't want to listen to on the move or am bored of.

this is quicker than making stacks of "manual" playlists... seems to work for me

Exactly, I think the point is some people have uses for the check boxes and some don't. Apple should leave them in, they don't do anything bad.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I use some smart playlists to remove stuff like Holiday music and speeches, but I use the checkboxes to disable parts of an album (like skits) that I don't want on my iPod. I have used them for a few other uses, but the specifics elude me now.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

You want to download the "Enable/Disable Selected Tracks" AppleScript. With this script, you can select a bunch of tracks and check or uncheck them all with a single menu command.

I use it all the time, because I want all my playlists on my iPod, but its capacity is only about a third of my music collection (10GB vs. 30GB). A Smart Playlist showing all checked songs lets me keep track of how much I can fit on there. Anyway, it does the trick for me.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

You want to download the "Enable/Disable Selected Tracks" AppleScript. With this script, you can select a bunch of tracks and check or uncheck them all with a single menu command.

I use it all the time, because I want all my playlists on my iPod, but its capacity is only about a third of my music collection (10GB vs. 30GB). A Smart Playlist showing all checked songs lets me keep track of how much I can fit on there. Anyway, it does the trick for me.

someone said earlier - you just select the tracks and apple-click the tick box.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

someone said earlier - you just select the tracks and apple-click the tick box.

Well, no... if you select a series of random tracks in your library and simply apple-click on a checkmark, it toggles ALL of the tracks shown (ie. all of the ones in your library) on and off.

In order to use apple+click, you have to isolate just the ones you want to check/uncheck so that they're the only ones on the screen, then apple+click.

The script works much better... thanks, Reid.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Well, no... if you select a series of random tracks in your library and simply apple-click on a checkmark, it toggles ALL of the tracks shown (ie. all of the ones in your library) on and off.

really, i didn't realise that. I've just tried it, that's pretty shit!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    What is "apple" click??? I'm new!!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soonergirl View Post

What is "apple" click??? I'm new!!

On older Macs (pre-2007), the Command button also had the Apple symbol on it.