Where can I listen to music on my Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well. . .I don't exactly have my 12" PB yet but I figured I could ask this question anyway.

I hate Windows and all that it is (hence the PB purchase). However; I love listening to music through Napster for 10 dollars a month. I (even now) purchase my music through iTunes but I listen through Napster so I can hear the whole song and I like the radio feature.

Since I am going Mac, is there any service that will allow me that capability of listening to music the way Napster does. No, not internet radio, that usually sucks. Rhapsody doesn't offer a Mac version either.

Hopefully I'm just not looking hard enough. . .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

Well. . .I don't exactly have my 12" PB yet but I figured I could ask this question anyway.

I hate Windows and all that it is (hence the PB purchase). However; I love listening to music through Napster for 10 dollars a month. I (even now) purchase my music through iTunes but I listen through Napster so I can hear the whole song and I like the radio feature.

Since I am going Mac, is there any service that will allow me that capability of listening to music the way Napster does. No, not internet radio, that usually sucks. Rhapsody doesn't offer a Mac version either.

Hopefully I'm just not looking hard enough. . .

i would think that there are fewer than 10 songs per month you would buy that you thought you would like but didnt if you just quit napster and used 30 second previews in itunes. you're paying $120 per year just to make sure you absolutley like a song before you download it. doesnt make sense at all to me. a 30 second preview should be enough to make an informed decision.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i would think that there are fewer than 10 songs per month you would buy that you thought you would like but didnt if you just quit napster and used 30 second previews in itunes. you're paying $120 per year just to make sure you absolutley like a song before you download it. doesnt make sense at all to me. a 30 second preview should be enough to make an informed decision.

What he said!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Maybe more than what you want, but:

Real Player is decent.

And you have 14 days to try it out.

MA
  • Reply 4 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

Real Player is decent.

LIAR!

Real SUCKS...come on, they lock down crappy video codecs, charge end users to run thier spyware..i mean software... and lock many subscription based services like NFL and NASCAR down into REAL PRO.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

I'm paying 120 dollars per year to listen to any and all of the music I want to. If I purchased all of the songs I liked I would go bankrupt. I use Napster for HOURS a day (aka as my RADIO) when I'm working on my computer. I'm sorry but if you think listening to 30 second samples is ok for more than a preview: we'll have to agree to disagree.

It is well worth the 10 dollars a month it runs me. Rhapsody is also a swell service with many of the same features.

It makes sense to me.

Edit: I also know of MANY of my friends/people I meet that also use one of these two services in the same manner as I do. People don't want to listen to 30 seconds samples--nor purchase ALL of the songs that they may happen to like.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm not clear on what Napster does that's different than iTunes if it's your music. Are you broadcasting your songs remotely? Is the crossfade feature in iTunes in the way?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Why not just use the radio feature in itunes. Argueing how great Napster is won't get you far, and if it's that great...why won't it work on the mac?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

I'm paying 120 dollars per year to listen to any and all of the music I want to. If I purchased all of the songs I liked I would go bankrupt. I use Napster for HOURS a day (aka as my RADIO) when I'm working on my computer. I'm sorry but if you think listening to 30 second samples is ok for more than a preview: we'll have to agree to disagree.

ok if you're using napster at work to listen (as your radio) to music (not just 'previewing') thats a whole different story.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I've always liked the concept of napster's steaming playlist. I think it's great for work, dorms, parties, and if you are at a computer for long periods of time. So I decided to download it and give it a try on my windows machine. The concept is great, just double click a song and it plays, and you can make a playlist, etc, all streaming with no downloads. Sound quality was fine for me, but in no audiophile. However the interface SUCKS, but hey it's Windows. If Apple integrated a streaming service into iTunes i'd play $10/month for it. It's great for parties for example. How many times are you going to listen to the vengaboys or YMCA on your ipod? Probably never. If Apple offered this as part of iTunes they would have the whole market captured hands downs.

Sorry to get a bit off topic from the original post here. As far as I know no streaming service is offered for the Mac. I guess we can hope that Napster will start to move in on Apple and maybe they will get the hint.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

I've always liked the concept of napster's steaming playlist. I think it's great for work, dorms, parties, and if you are at a computer for long periods of time. So I decided to download it and give it a try on my windows machine. The concept is great, just double click a song and it plays, and you can make a playlist, etc, all streaming with no downloads. Sound quality was fine for me, but in no audiophile. However the interface SUCKS, but hey it's Windows. If Apple integrated a streaming service into iTunes i'd play $10/month for it. It's great for parties for example. How many times are you going to listen to the vengaboys or YMCA on your ipod? Probably never. If Apple offered this as part of iTunes they would have the whole market captured hands downs.

Sorry to get a bit off topic from the original post here. As far as I know no streaming service is offered for the Mac. I guess we can hope that Napster will start to move in on Apple and maybe they will get the hint.

THANK YOU!! You understand! Lol. I agree 100%. I would also pay 10 dollars a month for streaming. . .gladly.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    "Dual 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5, 4.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, 160 GB SATA, 250 GB SATA (Hitachi Deskstar250"

Wow that's some awesome system. Can I borrow it?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    So... is it streaming across the web? Apple had this feature in iTunes 4, people abused it and started ripping others' songs from it. Apple, under pressure, then crippled it so that you can only stream songs across the local subnet. So unfortunately, we had it but lost it.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by DifferentLee

"Dual 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5, 4.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, 160 GB SATA, 250 GB SATA (Hitachi Deskstar250"

Wow that's some awesome system. Can I borrow it?

thanks, but no. i've got too many videos in the works right now. maybe some other time
  • Reply 14 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

So... is it streaming across the web? Apple had this feature in iTunes 4, people abused it and started ripping others' songs from it. Apple, under pressure, then crippled it so that you can only stream songs across the local subnet. So unfortunately, we had it but lost it.

Yes, but when your 'local subnet' is the entire campus because they have a flat topology, it's pretty bloody sweet.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    So Napster allows you to create a personalized playlist and then streams the songs to you?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

So Napster allows you to create a personalized playlist and then streams the songs to you?

Yes.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

The biggest catch with napster is this. If you want to burn the music, then you pay 99¢ a song on top of the $10 a month. Personally if it's not available for mac, I'm calling it crap. It can't be that hard for them to make it mac compatable. For you to use on your machine
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yes, but when your 'local subnet' is the entire campus because they have a flat topology, it's pretty bloody sweet.

Most of our office takes advantage of this too.

Except people are realizing that in order for others to hear the iTMS music in their respective library, you have to authenticate their computer. Since there are more than 5 computers listening in, so to speak, it's become a sticking point with people, and dissuading some people to buy from the iTMS. Hm, have to give feedback to Apple on that one. Not sure if that can be changed though. \
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Purdue's rendezvous is split into 2 across the whole campus, so there are always quite a few people with shared music
  • Reply 20 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Purdue's rendezvous is split into 2 across the whole campus, so there are always quite a few people with shared music

...now if only there was a way to record/save that music as it streamed...