Capturing broadcast video on a G5 in multiple formats

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently purchased a G5 and will be using it to capture broadcast video. Currently I've been doing this on my Alu Powerbook using EyeTV 200, which only allows me to capture in an MPEG 2 format. Can anyone recommend a way in which to capture broadcast video that allows me to capture in other formats i.e. uncompressed video, AVI, etc.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by C-Bear

I recently purchased a G5 and will be using it to capture broadcast video. Currently I've been doing this on my Alu Powerbook using EyeTV 200, which only allows me to capture in an MPEG 2 format. Can anyone recommend a way in which to capture broadcast video that allows me to capture in other formats i.e. uncompressed video, AVI, etc.?

you can buy an analog to digital converter (like the canopus ADVC-100). plug your cable (as in, from the cable company) into a vcr or something, then send composite video into the converter. go into final cut and 'capture now' using your converter. i record several shows this way.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you can buy an analog to digital converter (like the canopus ADVC-100). plug your cable (as in, from the cable company) into a vcr or something, then send composite video into the converter. go into final cut and 'capture now' using your converter. i record several shows this way.

Gotcha. What format is the capture in?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by C-Bear

Gotcha. What format is the capture in?

anything that final cut captures in. natively it captures as DV/DVCPRO-NTSC.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The EyeTV 200 also captures MPEG 4 files as well as MPEG 2. Either way, you can use the program to export the video to all kinds of other formats.