Enterprise cancelled

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    The current season is certainly better than the first three. I blame Rick Berman and Paramount. Rick Berman has single-handedly destroyed what we like about Star Trek. Paramount bouncing it around finally finished it off.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I always thought they missed out on a lot of opportuniies to make the show a bit funnier.

I was wondering why they didn't play with the transporter more often.

Tucker would be seen testing the shorter range capabilities of the transporter by beaming a ham sandwhich around the ship. In the middle of the testing, some emergency would happen involving the entire ship, and tucker would leave his experiment unattended.

During the course of the "emergency, objects and people would be randomly transported from one part of the ship to another. Each time the ham sandwhich appeared somewhere, there was a bit taken out of it. Eventually (near the end of the episode), Porthos and the sandwhich would be beamed to the bridge, and he could finally get a decent meal.

In general (and compared to all the other iterations of the Trek franchise), Enterprise sucked the most.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I like enterprise. I especially like the way 911 was handled. At first I thought that the spirit from TNG was lost on an all american cowboy captain. But as said I think they did a great translation of 911 and the war on terror.

Parts of the serie up until now may have been a bit boring for the weekly viewer. I saw first three seasons in less than a week and at that speed it came to act as a novel. The idea of letting a year have a main plot and weekly or biweekly side plots works in its favor IMHO.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    My understanding of the issue is that Enterprise made a terrible mistake out of the gate, which was to rely upon a time-travel narrative so complicated that, in the end, it could never be resolved adequately, nor could a casual viewer slide into it without difficulty. And so this season, the replaced the writer who turned the show back into "let's advance this along according to trek lore and get to the war with the Romulans and then the founding of the federation."

But it's too late.

And I agree with several of the posts about DS9 and the Dominion War. I thought that was a fantastic phase of the series. The problem was that when it wasn't doing that, it was doing Space Mall.

I also would *love* to see Star Trek: Federation or some such. The West Wing in space. Hrm. Captain Josiah Bartlet, First Officer Leo McGary, Communications Office CJ Cregg...
  • Reply 25 of 36
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

Yes, it is an american show. But it is sold to the whole world, and has a strong fan base all over the world.

But that's not the point. The point is, Enterprise is an Earth vessel, not an American vessel. They even talk about founding a federation of planets. so everybody should be involved. There is no French starship, no German starship.

The spirit of Star Trek is missing. It's just "go in, solve the problem, and if it's still there, send the Marines". That's what I mean with "too american".

I just think that comment is off base. Star Trek has basically always been like that. It's an American show. As for "sending in the marines", get over it. The show isn't being canceled because its too American. It's on at a bad time and hasn't been marketed correctly.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I enjoyed last season with the long plot line and this year wasn't so bad either. Then again, I HAVE to watch Star Trek-good or bad-I grew up watching this stuff.

I thinl my only complaint with the show is Archer over-reacting (over acting) all the time. Makes no sense that the best of the best from all of planet Earth can't control himself. I miss the wisdom of Picard and Sisko.

At least we have Battlestar Galactica...
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Googling "transporter malfunction" returns this page (bad midi warning)

Shetline, Fangorn, Carson O'Genic and a few others here are singing some truth.

Tonight's episode built the proto-Federation a bit further.

Doubly a shame to kill another Trek just as it starts to hit its stride.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    All these series needed time to warm up. TNG was great for about 2 years with its last 6-9 months starting to slide downhill again. Last episode of TNG was better than some theatrical releases. But, the two great years were great.

DS9 (my favorite) really got good in its last years, but why did they have to kill Dax???

Voyager didn't hit the magic two years IMO. Seven of nine improved things -visually and story line- but some of the cast was lacking. Doctor was GREAT. Belanna (sp?) started good struggling with her temper and then they cooled her off too much-killed the drama. Paris was ok, but they mellowed him out as well. They ran into the usual 'everybody gets along and there is no drama left' problem that exist in the star trek world. B5 knew how to keep things interesting by having its characters try to kill one another from time to time.

Enteprise, well here we are. It started to improve but they killed the baby before it had a chance to develop. Sucks.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Bingo. I don't really care much for any of the ST series until the third season.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

Let's call it Star Trek Federation. Sort of like West Wing meets Trek. Each week we see a crisis. The Federation president and council plot, scheme, stab, and argue. Doing exactly what politicians do.

Let's call it "Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict."

--B
  • Reply 31 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I started to really like Enterprise with the last season. Vulcan aren't as angelic as we were lead to believe, humans trying to carve a little slice of the galaxy for themselves, etc, etc. It was getting interesting. Ah well. I think this may be the last Trek series for a while now.

Honestly, I'm really excited about the new Firefly movie that should be out by summer, "Serenity". And with SG1, Atlantis and BSG we have plenty of Sci-fi to keep our Tivos busy for now.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Let's call it "Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict."

--B

Actually, let's call it "Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict, But With Better Actors and Direction This Time"
  • Reply 33 of 36
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

Star Trek: Enterprise

What?

Oh, the suxor, unwatchable Trek series....good riddance!

(link is PG-13)
  • Reply 34 of 36
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

good riddance!

(link is PG-13)

Wow. Someone has issues.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I think people past judgement too quickly. I have heard people say, "I have watched one episode and that was too many." Well, you cant expect to turn on UPN and an hour later to be moved and a new person.

You gotta get to know the characters and watching one episode is not enough to say, "he's dull and the captain is ..." I mean, I think alot of people got disappointed by season two and stopped watching and have been bad mouthing it ever since. Well, they have corrected their fumbles yet people wont give it another chance.

I think people prime themselves to hate the series, refuse to watch, and sit secure in their belief it must still be bad.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Just watched the last episode, "United" I think it was called. That was very good! (Except for the silly "I can recover from radiation sickness in 5 mins- come on writers, just cut the O2 supply or something). All in all that was very good stuff. I think that Andorean actor (Combs I think) that has been showing up since the DS9 days does a good job. Maybe they should make him the next captain.