Stupid Airport Express!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i just got Vonage VOIP service but I have no phone jacks neat my cable connections. Well I thought I could use a Airport Express to connect the Vonage router to my Wireless access point and cable modem... Wrong. Aparently it disables the ethernet port when connected to a wireless network. I called the local store I bought it from and was told that i am not the only one that has tried this. Does anyone know how I can achieve what I need to do? I need the VOIP box connected to my phone lines so that my alarm system will be able to dial out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

i just got Vonage VOIP service but I have no phone jacks neat my cable connections. Well I thought I could use a Airport Express to connect the Vonage router to my Wireless access point and cable modem... Wrong. Aparently it disables the ethernet port when connected to a wireless network. I called the local store I bought it from and was told that i am not the only one that has tried this. Does anyone know how I can achieve what I need to do? I need the VOIP box connected to my phone lines so that my alarm system will be able to dial out.

I don't think its supposed to work both ways, the eithernet port on the airport express is to plug in from your main router to extend your network, not to recieve and send to another router... am I correct?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Yes this is true but frustrating none the less. I was told otherwise.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Yes this is true but frustrating none the less. I was told otherwise.

Don't ever trust that person again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

I have a similar setup - but I just ran a cat5 cable from my wireless access point to the VOIP box. I returned my airport express also, but because I was getting audio dropouts when I used airtunes.