Errors in movies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

In Spiderman 2 Doc Ock wants Peter (who he thinks is just a student) to contact Spidey for him.

So he whips A CAR through a diner window at Pete and Mary Jane to say hello!

Still love the movie, though.

J

I guess we are all entitled to our opinions...
  • Reply 22 of 45
    In The French Lieutenant's Woman, in one of the 19th century scenes with the ocean in the background, you can see a guy cruise by on a windsurfer.

Not a mistake (well, maybe it is) but this guy (clip included) reckons there's a UFO flying around in the background in a scene from Rio Grande.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Not a "mistake" in the normal sense, but I remember a big discussion with my friends about the "haunted set" of Three Men and a Baby.

We rented it just to check it out.

Of course, now it turns out it was just a cutout of Ted Danson accidently left in a couple shots.

J
  • Reply 24 of 45
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    nothing beats Dawn of the Dead ....

they escape on a boat to a tropical island.. from Milwaukee. And a lot of minor minor minor things like the PFK logo on the KFC drinks, teh russian chick having a white baby ... when her man is black and he does not even notice that... i want to buy that movie in dvd so i can try to see how many errors i can catch in it.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

teh russian chick having a white baby ... when her man is black and he does not even notice that...

Thats not unlikely.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    I'm too lazy to check the links to these sites. but I remember in Commando when Arnold drops the little guy he said "He was gonna kill last but was lying" off the cliff then goes over and rights the little guys overturned, and smash up car that it was in nearly perfect condition as they drove away in it.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Um. Oops. I said the same thing as the post above this one.

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the mistake of that Star Wars stormtrooper hitting his head as he comes through the door.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    The Mighty Ducks has a scene where a puck shatters a window in a van, and in the next shot the window is perfectly fine...
  • Reply 29 of 45
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    There was a big one in "Die Hard 2". Bruce Willis is supposedly at Dulles airport in DC, he's shown using a payphone that's clearly marked Pacific Bell.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    In Boys and Girls, Freddie Prienze Jr (whatever his name is) drives over the Golden Gate Bridge to berkeley from SF. One would drive over the Bay bridge to do that unless they wanted a 90 min detour
  • Reply 31 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Flipping frames is a common mistake -- especially when the film is shot in, well, film...

So some time when editing someone flipped the film around? It's surprising no one noticed it at all before the movie released.

Maybe Hellboy Directors Cut Extended DVD Collectors Edition will fix it.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Dawn of the Dead .... the PFK logo on the KFC drinks...

Really? Haven't seen the movie, but PFK are the initials of KFC in Canada via a translation in French (something like Poulet Kentucky Fried). I do know parts were filmed in Toronto, as some news guy from a local paper - The Toronto Sun - was bragging about his role as an extra.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    imdb.com

-> goofs
  • Reply 34 of 45
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Most of what I've read so far are not really mistakes that a casual moviegoer would care about (what phone company's at the airport etc.)

I think he's looking for real mistakes in the movie's script, like in that movie with Julia Roberts and her abusive husband.

She fires seven bullets to kill him in the end, from a gun that only holds six bullets.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

I think he's looking for real mistakes in the movie's script, like in that movie with Julia Roberts and her abusive husband.

I'm looking for obvious examples of what are called visual continuity errors - like one in Spiderman where there's a broken window in one scene and then a few seconds later the window is intact.

I'm looking for these for a little project I'm doing on what's called change blindness - when there is a visual change that we don't notice unless we're shown it specifically. The phenomenon is associated with the idea that people engage in top-down processing, rather than detail-oriented processing.

There are a bunch of good examples in the Demos section of this page.

Here's an example I'll put inline. How long does it take you to figure out what's changing?

• Reply 36 of 45
    My wife and I were just watching Wild Strawberries. In one ?flash back? scene where they are eating brunch or something the ?twins? are right next to one another jibber jabbering and then in a wide shot they are spaced apart.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

<image>

wow, that did take me awhile
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Here's an example I'll put inline. How long does it take you to figure out what's changing?

I can't see any difference.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    The painted lines underneath the aircraft seem are never parallel, and are not the same in the two frames.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I can't see any difference.

Look about 1 cm to the southwest of the middle point.