Where the hell did my BONG go?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So... I think I fried my powerbook. However I couldn't have for I'm typing this on it now. So, somehow I did something wrong by plugging in my power cord at the same exact time as turning my computer on and I noticed this problem. I don't get a Bong, and then it sounds like the computer turns off after 1 1/2 seconds and then later I see the gray screen, then the apple logo, and then it starts up. The startup time from this has greatly increased... and I don't have my mac bong.

I am scared. What did I do? How can I fix it. I repaired the permissions... but I doubt that would have worked... and it didn't. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    First of all, make sure your speakers are not muted. I think this can turn off the bong. Second, boot off your your hardware test CD to find any problems. Finally, try running some fix-it utilities like OnyX.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    in re: the thread title "where the hell did my bong go"

In my case it was my wife hiding my BONG from me since she couldn't stand the smell of the very used water. I guess me spilling it on her side of our bed somehow aggravated her. dat smells FUNKY

just trying to get to 400 posts
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I don't know what the hell I did... but after waking up I tried to turn it on again and I was greeted my with long-awaited BONG. I am very happy. I tried the speaker things, and as far as I know they were never muted. I ran disk permissions a few times, and I also backed up to my iDisk (Doubt that had anything to do with it) before going to bed last night.

Well... I'll think of it as my computer fixing itself. Oh I count the ways to reason why I switched...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I don't know what the hell I did... but after waking up I tried to turn it on again and I was greeted my with long-awaited BONG. I am very happy. I tried the speaker things, and as far as I know they were never muted. I ran disk permissions a few times, and I also backed up to my iDisk (Doubt that had anything to do with it) before going to bed last night.

Well... I'll think of it as my computer fixing itself. Oh I count the ways to reason why I switched...

Check your RAM slots in Apple System Profiler... is one mysteriously empty?

I have lost my 'bong' and my lower slot is being reported as empty, even though it isn't. I've tested the RAM and all is well, but it seems from the Apple forums there's an issue with Powerbook motherboards...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    You know it repeated it again. And I know what happened... which I didn't know you could do... the mute was on!

I feel stupid.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

in re: the thread title "where the hell did my bong go"

In my case it was my wife hiding my BONG from me since she couldn't stand the smell of the very used water. I guess me spilling it on her side of our bed somehow aggravated her. dat smells FUNKY

just trying to get to 400 posts

i hope you're not posting for the sake of it!