Weird Issue with Panther (10.3.7)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For the last week or so, I have been experiencing a problem with Panther. It seems to hang during start-up. Once I get to my desktop, it take a good 3 or 4 minutes for the OS-X menus to appear and for my HD and other desktop icons to appear. All of my dock items are accessible (from the dock) and load as fast as usual.

When this problem, popped-up ? I also noticed a problem with one of my main applications ? BIAS? Peak 4. It takes at least 2 minutes for Peak to now load a file and becomes unresponsive during playback (I can press buttons but it takes up to 30 seconds for the button presses to actually work).

I hope I?m making some sense with my explanation. I have a feeling that these problems are the result of the using the OS-X Optimizer utility ?Onyx? since my system was fine prior to trying it. I have tried to reinstall Peak 4, the OS-X 10.3.7 Update and I have run DiskWarrior. Nothing has been able to fix the problem.

I noticed a ?delete ?core.xxx? files? option in Onyx that was most likely selected when I had run it. Do you think this caused the problem and if so, is there anyway to fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I noticed the same problem when I restarted after the security update. It took several minutes for the icons and menu to show up, but the dock was working. I thought it was a one-time thing because of the security update, but mabe not. I have a 15" PB 512mb 1.25ghz.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

I noticed the same problem when I restarted after the security update. It took several minutes for the icons and menu to show up, but the dock was working. I thought it was a one-time thing because of the security update, but mabe not. I have a 15" PB 512mb 1.25ghz.

It's been happening to a lot of people. There are threads about this already. It has been revealed that it is caused by Networking, if you have a network or wireless internet that could be causing it, a member of Appleinsider came up with a solution. I'll copy it over. It doesn't affect everybody though.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Here's the thread: I've tried changing the host file and failed, if you have any luck tell me how!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=2
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Here's the thread: I've tried changing the host file and failed, if you have any luck tell me how!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=2

Unfortunately that did not fix my problem. I think I might have to back-up all of my files and re-install Panther.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I'm trying to avoid the pain-in-the-ass task of backing up all of my files and re-installing Panther.

Does anyone know if using the System Restore discs that came with my machine could fix the problem, or would I just be better off reformatting the drive and doing a fresh install?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhoq

I'm trying to avoid the pain-in-the-ass task of backing up all of my files and re-installing Panther.

Does anyone know if using the System Restore discs that came with my machine could fix the problem, or would I just be better off reformatting the drive and doing a fresh install?

I don't think they work like OS 9 did. I'm getting a new computer in a few days so wont have the hassle, I would recommend reinstalling though!!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I did a fresh install of Panther. Everything appears to be working now - except for Peak 4. I'll try re-installing that tonight.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

I did a fresh install of Panther. Everything appears to be working now - except for Peak 4. I'll try re-installing that tonight.

well that's good and bad. It means that people with this problem have the hassle of a fresh install. I think people will wait for Tiger though. I can't wait for my PowerBook!!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Well, I decided to run the 10.3.7 combo updater and sure enough - I'm back to the 3 minute start-up. After a reinstall of Peak 4, it is still not running properly.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Well, I decided to run the 10.3.7 combo updater and sure enough - I'm back to the 3 minute start-up. After a reinstall of Peak 4, it is still not running properly.

that's not good
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Right now, I am in the process of switching my phone and DSL service to another carrier. I have been without my DSL for 2 weeks now. I hadn?t realized that my problems began at the same time as I cancelled the DSL from my old carrier.

Anyways, I followed the advise in THIS thread. I manually reconfigured my IP address and I am happy to report that my machine is back to normal.

My desktop now loads up in under 5 seconds and Peak 4 loads a file within 1 second.