RAM slot issue on 15" Al Powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

I noticed today that my two month old 15" Powerbook has suddenly lost half its RAM. Apple System Profiler reports only 512Mb of RAM and the bottom slot is 'empty'.

I've swapped the RAM round and it's all working fine - it appears to be the slot itself.

I've been onto the Apple support forums and there are lots of messages there saying similar things and stories of replacement motherboards etc. Worryingly there are variations in whether Apple will do the repair under warranty or not.

Thought I'd check and see if anyone here has had the same problem and if there are any suggestions of workarounds that don't involve sending it back for repair (really need it to earn money).

Also, if you have a PB you may want to check your RAM is still there!

One other symptom: the startup chime has gone...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

you should check out this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=50907

Just been there - it was apparently a muting issue, but I posted my problem just in case the guy thought he was out of the woods ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by artistry

Just been there - it was apparently a muting issue, but I posted my problem just in case the guy thought he was out of the woods ;-)

sorry I hadn't twigged it was you making the comment!! I've got no idea mate, sorry.