Start-up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a PB G4 that I bought the moment they were available. I just bought my daughter a new eMAc for Christmas. The eMac boots up way faster than my PB.

What can I do to make sure the my PB is running optimally and not bogged down by a bunch of crap that I don't need?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    qchemqchem Posts: 73member
    First thing is to ensure you don't have any servers (eg remote login or apache) running that you don't need.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    NO.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    The eMac will probably have more Mhz than the powerbook and the harddrive is also 7200rpm opposed to the smaller 4500 (or similar) laptop harddrives.

Do you have any startup items etc?

Are you at the same OS version etc?

The new powerbooks (1.5Ghz) boot nearly as fast as a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 so perhaps you need to run disk utility or disk warrior over it to see if there are file inconisistancies or permissions to be repaired.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    OK. Repair permissions. I remember from a few years ago, that in Windows, you could tell the system not to run some apps at start-up. Like, Netscape always had a bunch of crap that would run in the background. How do I know if there is a bunch of crap bogging my PB down?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

OK. Repair permissions. I remember from a few years ago, that in Windows, you could tell the system not to run some apps at start-up. Like, Netscape always had a bunch of crap that would run in the background. How do I know if there is a bunch of crap bogging my PB down?

system preferences, accounts and then startup items. Clear cache and preferences may help
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I wouldn't worry too much. Startup time comparisons are wildly inaccurate. For example, my 400Mhz Pismo boots 17 seconds faster than my Dual 2Ghz G5. I do have a bunch of startup items on both (many of the same programs). Don't sweat it and run some kind of optimization utility now & then.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I wouldn't worry too much. Startup time comparisons are wildly inaccurate. For example, my 400Mhz Pismo boots 17 seconds faster than my Dual 2Ghz G5. I do have a bunch of startup items on both (many of the same programs). Don't sweat it and run some kind of optimization utility now & then.

what optimization tool do you use?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OnyX

Maybe once a month I clear the caches, run the maintenance scripts, and repair permissions.

I also use Tech Tool Pro (not free) for disk maintenance. I've come to trust this program, but there are many others out there.