Pro Apps on PB

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone, I'm about to take a plunge into the wonderful world of apple with a powerbook, and I'm trying to decide between the 12" and 15". I love the portability of the 12", but am worried on how well it will run pro applications (logic, final cut, etc.) with only the 64MB nvidia card, and also how functional the 12" screen is. Does anyone have any experience using pro apps(espc. logic) on the 12", could you describe your experience on it? Thanks!!

Also, I must admit that I'm attracted to the lighted keyboard, simply because I can imagine it must make the powerbook look godly. Does anyone really find it useful?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon appleseed

Hey everyone, I'm about to take a plunge into the wonderful world of apple with a powerbook, and I'm trying to decide between the 12" and 15". I love the portability of the 12", but am worried on how well it will run pro applications (logic, final cut, etc.) with only the 64MB nvidia card, and also how functional the 12" screen is. Does anyone have any experience using pro apps(espc. logic) on the 12", could you describe your experience on it? Thanks!!

Also, I must admit that I'm attracted to the lighted keyboard, simply because I can imagine it must make the powerbook look godly. Does anyone really find it useful?

go for the 15, VRam is important but so is resolution - the pro apps were not made to be run at 1024x768, IMHO.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    if this powerbook will be your primary computer for using the pro apps, the 12" is too small. it works for me in situations where i have to use it, but on an everyday basis it would drive me crazy. definitiely get the 15".
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if this powerbook will be your primary computer for using the pro apps, the 12" is too small. it works for me in situations where i have to use it, but on an everyday basis it would drive me crazy. definitiely get the 15".

You may also consider an exteternal LCD, 19 inches or so for more workspace when you are not mobile, and also when you are not mobile, you should get a mouse(for your purposes, you may consider things like jog wheeles or draw pads too), and imho, a keyboard for two reasons:

1: comfors/ease of use

2: save wear and tear on the laptop(the laptop is more than durable enough but it is just a thought, the less you use a mechanical part, the longer it lasts)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thanks for the responses...

15" sounds like the way to go, and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the 1.5 ghz combo drive. However, I'm kind of worried about the 64MB GPU vs 128MB GPU. I

realize more memory is always better, but I'm wondering if I really need this extra memory now, or in the future (it's almost $400 more). What advantages does the 128 card have, and what is Tiger going to require when it's released. Sorry, very new at this, but appreciate any help.

edit: wow, i looked at the apple website, the only model PB that's in stock is the 15" Combo. It must be really unpopular?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon appleseed

thanks for the responses...

15" sounds like the way to go, and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the 1.5 ghz combo drive. However, I'm kind of worried about the 64MB GPU vs 128MB GPU. I

realize more memory is always better, but I'm wondering if I really need this extra memory now, or in the future (it's almost $400 more). What advantages does the 128 card have, and what is Tiger going to require when it's released. Sorry, very new at this, but appreciate any help.

edit: wow, i looked at the apple website, the only model PB that's in stock is the 15" Combo. It must be really unpopular?

well, if youre gonna use the pro apps, i would suggest getting a superdrive. you will need it for backing up data if nothing else. if you plan on using dvd studio, then of course you need it. as far as the video card, you'll be fine with the 64MB one and tiger will still take some advantage of it, but you know the 128MB will work better. at this point, i would get a superdrive and stay at 64MB.