DVI to Video adapter is out of stock now can I use third party one?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have dual 2.5gh with 6800ultra ddl powermac

and 23"monitor

I also have 34" CRT HDTV and I do not have DVD player

with DVI to Video apple adapter I can use my computer as

dvd player and media player

so I was trying to buy DVI to Video adapter and..

I found they all out of stock through north america.

apple us (Estimated Ship: 4-6 weeks)

apple ca (Estimated Ship: 4-6 weeks)

and other stores (out of stock)

omg... what is going on..maybe because of mac mini...

fortunately I found DVI TO COMPONENT CABLE

(my TV has component and HDMI input)

or dvi to HDMI cable

can I use thouse cable with my G5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    for the time being just use your amazing 23" apple display to watch movies. i watch movies on my 20 inch all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    when I watch movie on my couch with my friends

23" moniter is not big enough.

since I have 34" HDTV

I just want to use it.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by khkoo

(snip)

fortunately I found DVI TO COMPONENT CABLE

(my TV has component and HDMI input)

or dvi to HDMI cable

can I use thouse cable with my G5?

I am not too much of an expert on HDTV stuff, but as far as I recall neither the regular component (the yellow RCA type plug) nor S-Video (a small round plug) support HDTV resolution.

I would recommend to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable to hook your G5 up to your TV and run it at the TV's native resolution. This is slightly more expensive, but the superior quality should be worth it.

In doing so, you would use your TV as a secondary monitor. I have heard complaints from people with similar setups (Mac connected to HDTV via DVI/HDMI) saying that there is a certain amount of space that gets cut off. This is due to the way the TV works.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

I am not too much of an expert on HDTV stuff, but as far as I recall neither the regular component (the yellow RCA type plug) nor S-Video (a small round plug) support HDTV resolution.

I would recommend to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable to hook your G5 up to your TV and run it at the TV's native resolution. This is slightly more expensive, but the superior quality should be worth it.

In doing so, you would use your TV as a secondary monitor. I have heard complaints from people with similar setups (Mac connected to HDTV via DVI/HDMI) saying that there is a certain amount of space that gets cut off. This is due to the way the TV works.

well, dont forget that there arent hi def dvd's yet either.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well, dont forget that there arent hi def dvd's yet either.

But the signal and the picture quality will definitely be better using DVI/HDMI at native res instead of the scaled down (and up again on the TV) washed out picture you get using a DVI-to-component or DVI-to-s-video connection. Have you ever seen the picture quality a computer delivers hooked up to a TV via component/s-video? Aweful!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    thank you!

I thought I can not use that cable.

I'll buy DVI to HDMI cable.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

thank you!

I thought I can not use that cable.

I'll buy DVI to HDMI cable.

HDMI is DVI "backwards compatible" as it carries a DVI signal. You can connect every DVI source to an HDMI display, but not every HDMI source will play on every DVI display due to copy protection which is compulsory with HDMI output but optional on DVI.

Edit: Would be nice if you could post your experiences with a Mac connected to a HDTV set.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Ok I bought DVI to HDMI cable... it is working

alright on my HD Cable TV box to HDTV but

not working with G5 to HDTV.. so maybe I just need to buy

DVI to S-VIDEO adapter(apple)
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Ok I bought DVI to HDMI cable... it is working

alright on my HD Cable TV box to HDTV but

not working with G5 to HDTV.. so maybe I just need to buy

DVI to S-VIDEO adapter(apple)

What happens when you connect your G5 to your HDTV set via DVI/HDMI?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    just black screen on my TV and first time when I tried to mirror connection thing.. it was working but image quality on my TV was very poor

after that time, every time I tried to connect g5to tv.. it is just not working

and my 23"apple monitor is blinking and if it is mirror mode.. my monitor resolution also go down to 1920X1080AND SOMETIMES CAN EVEN SEE ANYTHING ON MY MONITOR .. maybe I do not know

how to do this.. or.. maybe it is just not working .
  • Reply 11 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If you have an HDTV, use a DVI cable and a res of 1920×1080, you will get the best quality that a dvd can give and a kick ass 2nd display for well....anything else that you do on that killer Mac...behold UT2k4 on that...WOWSA

But it is absolutely key that you run the output connected to the TV at 1920×1080 because it a is native resolution supported by the unit I also have to say that in this case I do not recomend mirroring because of the res differance between the Cinima display and the TV.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If you have an HDTV, use a DVI cable and a res of 1920×1080, you will get the best quality that a dvd can give and a kick ass 2nd display for well....anything else that you do on that killer Mac...behold UT2k4 on that...WOWSA

But it is absolutely key that you run the output connected to the TV at 1920×1080 because it a is native resolution supported by the unit I also have to say that in this case I do not recomend mirroring because of the res differance between the Cinima display and the TV.

This is what he did upon my recommendation - connecting his G5 to his HDTV via DVI-to-HDMI cable.

A few more questions:

- How long is the DVI/HDMI cable?

- What brand/manufacturer?

- How is your G5 confiured GPU-wise?

- How much video RAM is available?

I don't recommend mirroring either as it would be a waste of one of the screens. But it is ok, as long as it works. Which it does not.

Did you try the HDTV as your primary monitor? The problems you describe seem rather strange. It should work as described. Maybe the graphics cards is defective...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    now it is working.. as 1st monitor and 2nd monitor..

I do not know what I did(sorry)

oh..I just fixed it 1920 X1080, 30 Hz working great

" I have heard complaints from people with similar setups (Mac connected to HDTV via DVI/HDMI) saying that there is a certain amount of space that gets cut off. This is due to the way the TV works."

yes it is..

anyway thanks guys..

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

now it is working.. as 1st monitor and 2nd monitor..

I do not know what I did(sorry)

oh..I just fixed it 1920 X1080, 30 Hz working great

" I have heard complaints from people with similar setups (Mac connected to HDTV via DVI/HDMI) saying that there is a certain amount of space that gets cut off. This is due to the way the TV works."

yes it is..

anyway thanks guys..

Good to hear that it now works. But why do you run your HDTV set at just 30Hz? Wouldn't at least 50-60 Hz be more appropriate?

How much of the picture is "cut off"?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    if I set 60Hz .. it is shaking continually ..

and.. it was working great with 30Hz but it is not working

again.. I think it is my TV problem.. maybe not..

my video card is 6800 ultra DDL 256M

and cable is 2m Ultralink dvi-hdmi(hdmi-dvi)cable

cable is working good with HD cable tv box...

it is woking when working.. but not working usually

and now I'm using cable with my HDcableTV box so

I'm going to use apple dvi-s-video adapter...

I found the shop selling dvi to s-video adapter so I'll use that one..
  • Reply 16 of 16
    "How much of the picture is "cut off"?"

I say you can not use TV as 2nd monitor but

watching movie is alright.. that much.. cut off all around

little bit..