Quickbooks from Windows to Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just bought my first PB. I need to install quickbooks for very basic accounting. I am currently using a 2001 version for Windows.

Has anyone had any problems in converting the file to work with Apple's Quickbooks?

THanks....First time, long time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Trust me I am a die hard mac fan, but there is nothing worse than using quick books on a mac. You will hate it. If you must use it on a Mac I would suggest using virtual pc and the windows version of quick books.

I've never converted a pc file to mac, but have had problems trying to convert from mac to pc.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    I'm using Quickbooks Pro 2005 for the Mac. On this latest version, Intuit has updated the Mac version to a point that the menus between the Mac and PC version are the same. When you open a Windows version on the Mac, it creates a copy and converts it automatically. If the file is password protected, you will need to supply the password to convert it. To save a file back to the PC version is as easy as selecting the PC version of the backup file, which the PC version can open and read.

The key difference between the two programs now is that the Mac version still utilizes Aaitrix software for payroll. However, the program posts the payroll information directly into Quickbooks.

I've been using Quickbooks for Mac since they came back out with Version 5 (Quickbooks Pro 2005 is actually version 7).

In my opinion, for your basic needs, I'm sure you'll be happy with Quickbooks Pro 2005 for the Mac and you will be able to easily make files that you can send to your accountant using a PC. That's what I've used it for as well. Obviously, Intuit is selling a lot of copies because they are continuing to upgrade the Mac version with features and driving the compatibility closer and closer to being seamless.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I can attest that 05 actually delivers on cross platform support. It really frustrated me that on the 04 box it claimed the ability, but in reality there was no way. We just exported our 04 file to our PC accountant and it worked perfectly.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Glad to hear they've updated '05. The previous version was unusable if you were used to the pc version. I should add that I consider myself a power user and might run in to more limitations than someone who is running a small companies books.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Glad to hear they've updated '05. The previous version was unusable if you were used to the pc version. I should add that I consider myself a power user and might run in to more limitations than someone who is running a small companies books.

Will converting my 2001 windows file to 2005 MAC be possible? Once converted I am not concerned about the cross-platform ability...only the ability to not have to re-create the wheel when switching my OS to OSX

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    You can always order a FREE TRIAL of the QB 2005 for Windows version. That will upgrade the file from 2001 for you.

"Q: If I upgrade, will my current QuickBooks data still be available?

A: Upgrading from an earlier version is fast, easy and seamless. The automated process saves a backup of your existing file, then updates the data for use with the new edition. You can automatically transfer data from QuickBooks 5.0, 6.0, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 for Windows to QuickBooks 2005."

"Q: I use QuickBooks for Mac. My accountant uses QuickBooks for Windows. He can't help me out because our menus are different. Why aren't they the same?

A: They are now! New QuickBooks: Pro 2005 for Mac uses the same menus as the Windows edition. So you can take advantage of advice not only from your accountant but also from millions of QuickBooks for Windows users. You can also get help from other QuickBooks for Mac users in the QuickBooks for Mac Online Forum. And it gets even better! With Pro 2005 for Mac, it's even easier for you to get help from your accountant. Your accountant can open your QuickBooks for Mac files, edit them in QuickBooks for Windows, and send them back to you to open again on your Mac."

"Q: What's involved in upgrading from an earlier version, or from QuickBooks for Windows or Quicken?

A: Upgrading from an earlier version of QuickBooks: for Mac is easy. You can automatically transfer data from QuickBooks 4.0, 5.0 or 6.0 for Mac. You can also easily convert your data from QuickBooks for Windows. If converting from QuickBooks for Windows, you'll need to copy your data file to the Mac. Then simply open or restore the file on QuickBooks for Mac. To convert your data from Quicken for Mac, you first import your Quicken data file and then walk through a quick, automated conversion process."
  • Reply 7 of 7
    THanks, everyone...we'll see how it goes next week. Definitely going to keep a copy of the old version around if necessary