Fiorina resigns as Hewlett-Packard head

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
BBC News Service (breaking news)

Fiorina resigns as chief of HP

Carly Fiorina, the chairman and chief executive of Hewlett-Packard, has resigned.

Ms Fiorina, one of America's most powerful businesswomen, said she was leaving after a dispute with the company's board over future strategy.

"While I regret the board and I have differences about how to execute Hewlett-Packard's strategy, I respect their decision," Ms Fiorina said.

Chief financial officer Robert Wayman has replaced Ms Fiorina temporarily.

More soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well there goes the possibility of a Fuschia colored desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Sweet. See ya, bitch. Good for HP...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hmmm... this is a bit disconcerting. like her or not, she was the one who drove the hp iPod deal, probably in spite of the board and certainly in spite of redmond. one wonders if this, plus the recent issues on the iPod deal in general will kill the program off before it really gains any momentum.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    If Apple could build a better relationship with the Sony Corporation, would it really be such a loss? HP has good market share, to be sure, but they are not the only game in town, and I wonder if iTunes support is easier for HP now to swallow than iPods with their brand attached.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm not surprised.

Fiorina is a bold, gutsy CEO, and smart as a whip, but she was also a poor fit for HP's culture. And frankly, the HP/Compaq merger was a really bad idea. Bill Hewlett was right.

I've watched all this from my perch at an old DEC shop, and I can tell you that neither DEC's purchase by Compaq, nor Compaq's merger with HP, was pretty. There's still a lot of Balkanization, duplication of effort and general ill will floating around in that Frankenstein monster of a company.

johnq's post reminded me, that a lot of engineers at HP simply referred to her as "the bitch."
  • Reply 6 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

johnq's post reminded me, that a lot of engineers at HP simply referred to her as "the bitch."

I made this earlier today for 'Nova when someone implied she was attractive.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

There's still a lot of Balkanization...

I've seen you use this term around quite a bit. Don't you think that its a little offending to people that are actually from the Balkans?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Must we be so sensitive? I think the term has been around far too long and used far too often and generically to have any ethni-- er, relig-- er, geographic bias or connotation to it.

Geez, people make jokes about the Polish and Irish all the time, and I don't get pissed about it.