Final Cut Express versus Adobe Premiere: Which one do you prefer?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone have any pros and cons on either of these two apps?

I've used both, first Adobe Premiere and then Final Cut Express and personally, I prefer using Final Cut Express. It's everything they say it is, intuitive, friendly, it lets you just do your work instead of wasting time trying to fix the app...

But people who use Premiere vehemently say, there's no difference. you're still doing the same thing. Premiere can do everything Final can do.

But bottom line, i don't want to be staring at Premiere's ugly screens for hours trying to edit video, period...been there done that, it sucks...I can tell you that from the one+ year of experience I've had working with Final Cut that the only thing I'm thinking about is how to make my video edits better and not cursing at the screen because of the latest blue screen or the horrible way it scrubs...

Anyway, I'd like to hear anyone else's two cents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Adobe still makes Premier?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Final Cut Pro.

Sure you can do the same things...but it's the "way" you do things in FCP/FCE that is appealing.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I need more ammo..enough to convince people that final cut is so much better...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    final cut. i actually just started using premiere for a crappy class (it's too basic for me), and i prefer final cut, but i use final cut pro (expres is almost as good). i actually prefer final cut pro to Avid, which drives some people crazy (it's that whole "everyone in the industry uses it" thing). it's important to know Avid, premiere, and final cut though. I guess here's a better way to explain it:

--If you're a graphics guy using a PC (like after effects, etc, you should be using Premiere.

--If you're in the film industry, you need to know Avid but can use final cut

--If you're an editor or using a Mac in general, you should be using Final Cut, express or pro.

In the end, it's not the tool, it's the artist. Heck, it would be painful, but you could make a decent movie of 40 minutes or more in iMovie.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    I make a good portion of my living working with Final Cut Pro and have worked with many of the other editors, including, Vegas, Premeire, Avid Express, Avid, Speed Razor, video Toaster NT and hands down out of the box I was more proficient and quick with Final Cut Pro. It just worked the way I wanted to work.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    I'm going to piggyback on this one...

For those of you who have used Avid Express, how does Final Cut Express/Pro compare?

I use Avid Ex. professionally for TV current affairs - on a souped up PC laptop (don't ask - network's choice) - and a G5 dual Mac at home.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Why would you try to stop somebody using an app they prefer? It's a tool. Different people prefer different things - our minds work different ways.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Neither;

Avid Xpress Studio
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by sasa

I'm going to piggyback on this one...

For those of you who have used Avid Express, how does Final Cut Express/Pro compare?

I use Avid Ex. professionally for TV current affairs - on a souped up PC laptop (don't ask - network's choice) - and a G5 dual Mac at home.

final cut pro works much better for me than Avid Express. i'm still taking an Avid class so i know how to use it, but FCP is more intuitive for me and i work faster in it. Oh, and I've had a lot fewer tech issues with FCP.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

But people who use Premiere vehemently say, there's no difference. you're still doing the same thing. Premiere can do everything Final can do.

Well, that's not true - FCP can do compositing - have they added that functionality to Premiere yet? And how about audio editing capabilities? What are the real-time effects like on Premiere? Can you import Photoshop files and seperate their layers like in FCP? FCP is much faster and stable because it handles it's render files in a much more advanced way.