4 minutes to eject empty cd drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

Ok, I have the Quicksilver PowerMac with 800 MHZ G4 with 1.5 gig of RAM and running 10.3.7. I have had it for about two and a half years now, and I am really starting to notice some performance issues. About 5 months ago, my primary hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall OS X and all my programs, so it is a fairly new, clean install. About a week ago, I started noticing some performance lag. It would take 3 - 4 minutes after pressing the eject key for the cd rom drive to eject and it takes firefox a while to load up and I am basically running at 80-90% CPU usage at all times. So I ran the maintenace scripts (mac janitor) and I fixed up the directory with Disk Warrior and I updated the prebinding for faster launching and I cleared my cache. After this everything seemed to be working fine for about 3 - 4 days, then all of a sudden its happening again. Except now, I am getting a lot of 'Application not responding' messages. More than I have ever gotten, and I only have about 5 or 6 applications running.

Is there something I can do to help this, or is it just because the machine is getting older. Again, I have never experineced anything like this until about a week ago, and it has me perplexed as to why it would take almost 4 minutes to eject my cd rom drive.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    It's nothing to do with age. It's probably a corrupted file or something.

Did Disk Warrior find any errors on the disk (apart from the normal index rebuild)?

Have you checked /var/log/system.log for any error messages that might mean that the HD is on the way out or memory errors.

My Dual 533 does all my internet crap and has never needed to be reinstalled since 10.3 was released. It hasn't goten noticably slower either. My QS733 is for games and iphoto and word and printing and seems to slow down progressively over a period of time.

As I support computers all day I never clean up my own systems so I end up re-installing it when it gets bad.

Don't know why. None of the work machines slow do either.

Sorry for not being much help.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    In my /var/log/system.log I am getting this message over and over and over and over...

Feb 9 03:16:00 localhost kernel: USBF: 1466849.227 CanoScan[0x22b3600]: error setting config. err=0xe00002ed

Any thoughts...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, you have a Canon scanner (LiDE?) and the driver is behaving very very badly. That driver is what monitors the buttons on the front of the scanner. If you don't use them, you don't need the driver.

Also, I've seen this when the scanner isn't plugged in - the driver just keeps looking for it again, and again, and again, and again... see if there's a new driver at Canon's support site.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Well that was it. I downloaded the newest driver for it and bam everything is working faster than it has in a while. I'm just excited to have my cd tray open in real time. Thanks everyone.

Brian
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Holy crap, it *worked*? Wow, sometimes wild-assed guesses *do* come true!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Holy crap, it *worked*? Wow, sometimes wild-assed guesses *do* come true!

good work people