Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.8

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i havent even installed it yet, but its there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not seeing it. Odd.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    It seems not to be up on SWUpdate but first on their support website!

<http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...pdate1038.html>

<http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/>
  • Reply 3 of 105
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple releases maintenance update to Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" operating system.

Apple on Wednesday afternoon released both Mac OS X 10.3.8 and Mac OS X Server 10.3.8.

According to Apple documents, a list of enhancements delivered by the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Client Update include: improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers; improved file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks; improved compatibility for third party applications and devices; and previous standalone security updates.

Meanwhile, key updates to Mac OS X 10.3.8 Server include: improved reliability of Open Directory replication and PDC authentication; more reliable binding to Active Directory domains; improved compatibility for third party applications and devices; and previous standalone security updates.

Both updates are recommended for all users. The updates weigh in at 27.7MB and 27MB for the client and server editions, respectively. At press time, Apple had posted the software packages to its Web site, but had yet to distribute the releases through its Mac OS X Software Update mechanism.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    For the guinea pigs:

Unplug external drives

Repair permissions before the update

Repair permissions after the update

...and then tell us how WoW plays.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 105
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Yeah, i don't see it in the Update window.

But I am d/l'ing it right now on my iBook off the listed website above.

Eric
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Works fine here ...

... just repairing permissions right now after the update!
  • Reply 7 of 105
    Code:

Determining correct file permissions.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1

We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

• Reply 8 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Code:

Determining correct file permissions.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1

We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Seen this before - don't have the link at hand, but IIRC this is something Apple knows and that's not considered serious...
  • Reply 9 of 105
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

Seen this before - don't have the link at hand, but IIRC this is something Apple knows and that's not considered serious...

Yes, it has been around for quite some time, but I have no idea if it is something to be concerned about.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    WTF? I didn't think I'm that much of a Mac newbie. But what is "repair permissions?"
  • Reply 11 of 105
    I have the imporession that the name lookup (DNS proxy) problem has been solved! I do not longer have to manually list my ISPs name servers in the network config, but can use "pure" DHCP that will just list my WAN router as the only DNS server.

Timeouts seem to be gone!

Can anyone confirm?
  • Reply 12 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

WTF? I didn't think I'm that much of a Mac newbie. But what is "repair permissions?"

Yes, what is that all about?
  • Reply 13 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

Is it something to do with the flashing finder/question mark icon I get when I restarted my Mac? I went into the help and it pointed me to First Aid in Disk Utility, and to repair permissions, which is what I'm doing at the moment...

PS. Mac's Help impresses more than Windows' ever did.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    I did the repair permissions thing, restarted but I still get a flashing world followed by a ? and finder symbol... What does this mean?
  • Reply 15 of 105
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Repair Permissions = Applications folder -> Utilities folder -> Disk Utility

Select your hard drive and then select "repair permissions"

Good to do once a month or so.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

I did the repair permissions thing, restarted but I still get a flashing world followed by a ? and finder symbol... What does this mean?

How did you resart then? Are you posting with that computer?

In old MacOS 9 if you got a question mark it meant there was no System Folder or the Startup Disk was not selected.

If you can. go to Preferences and select "Startup Disk" and select the correct one. This will tell the OS where to start from right away.
  • Reply 17 of 105
    I just repaired permissions too... whole bunch of crap got repaired, including that message about "WE changed this" and "WE changed that".

Christ, my Mac has gone Gollum on me
  • Reply 18 of 105
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My iBook and G5 iMac seems to run fine. Permissions repair looked like the one above posted.

I can'te really tell a difference. Maybe my network stuff works a little better but that could be in my head.

Eric
  • Reply 19 of 105
    from zee orsses mout

Quote:

Mac OS X 10.3.8 Enhancements

These are some of the enhancements delivered with the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Update:

Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.7 in which iChat, Mail, or other network-based applications could take a long time to open.

Addresses an issue in which a computer wouldn't always restart automatically after a power failure, even when the Energy Saver preference option "Restart automatically after a power failure" was selected.

Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.

Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Resolves an issue in which a "flicker" could be seen when navigating DVD menus in DVD Player on certain PowerBook G4 computers.

Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer would, on rare occasion, wake from sleep with a black screen and not respond to any keyboard, mouse, or trackpad input.

Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.

Resolves an issue on certain Power Mac G5 computers where a fan cycles erratically at unexpected times, such as when Seti@home software is running.

Speeds up Address Book and Mail LDAP lookups that are performed by a Cisco DistributedDirector DNS server.

Addresses an issue that could prevent clients using the Active Directory plugin from binding to their Active Directory server.

• Reply 20 of 105
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

from zee orsses mout

Your englench is very nice!