Mac mini as a server

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
what do you guys think? i work in an office that has a blue and white g3 as their server, in desperate need of an upgrade...it needs to be on all the time though...i'm worried that this might eventually melt the mac mini. thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    what are the needs?

If it has to do the same thing an old BW G3 has to do, then add some ram and install Server and off you go, no doubt about it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Many servers are I/O limited rather than CPU limited. If this is the case for your serving duties, the mini will actually be slower than the G3.

More info is required before anyone can offer advice that isn't just out of their ass.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have another thread about Mac mini server colocation. I think for a file server the drive speed may be a significant issue, but if you upgrade the drive it may suit you better.

I want to know if OS X Server is supported in the mini. I'll post when I find out.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    my ass gives good advice ya know

Im just figuring that a BWG3 will handily be beat by a Mini in all respects, including I/O.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Sorry... wasn't directing that at you.

I'd bet that a G3 ATA66 (i think) with a 7200rpm8mb would out perform the mini in disk bound tasks.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Why not buy a firewire harddrive for the mini and boot of that. The throughput on firewire is better than IDE anyway.

Dobby.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    here's what we use it for: hosting the department's calendars, website, and file maker pro database. that's it. i'm thinking the B&W with a memory and HD upgrade will be sufficient to run OSX server, right?