iPhoto doesn't recognise USB camera (canon 20D)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 1.33Ghz 15 Powerbook and Canon 20D.

When I plug the 20D into the powerbook iphoto doesn't start.

In About this mac I see the canon on the USB but I the card isn't mounted and iphoto doesn't see the camera.

This is a pain as I have to take photos with the camera plugged into the laptop with is rather hard when doing wedding photos, sports etc.

Anyone have this problem?

I've tried using the 2 canon programs but I would prefer the one from LightPhase.

Dobby.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dobby,

When you download into iPhoto you need to change the communiction setting on your 20D. Go into menu (on the camera) and scroll down to communication. There are two choices PTP and normal. With iPhoto you need to select PTP and with everything else (Camera Raw, Canon Viewer utility etc) you need to select Normal.

Before iPhoto will reconize the 20D you'll have to exit the menu function. Sometimes I have to turn my camera off and power it back up to start the process. It can take quite a while before the import button is active, but while you are waiting the 20D top screeen should be flashing 'Busy"

Hope that works.

A good source for info is DPreview.com. The mac and 20D forums are particularily useful.

You probably want to get a firewire card reader. Much faster

Joe
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Thanks Joe, that worked a treat. I didn't realise you could set the download type.

Dobby.