Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

PLEASE DELETE

umm.... okay someone's been somethin'
  • Reply 2 of 22
    No, what happened was I meant to hit 'New Reply', but instead his new Post, and didn't realize it till iy had been posted. And since it made no sence by itself, I would like a moderator to delete it b/c I cannot.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

No, what happened was I meant to hit 'New Reply', but instead his new Post, and didn't realize it till iy had been posted. And since it made no sence by itself, I would like a moderator to delete it b/c I cannot.

no worries dude, i'm just messin about... looks like the mod has not deleted it ;-0
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

no worries dude, i'm just messin about... looks like the mod has not deleted it ;-0

I didn't think you were being seriouse, lol
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

I didn't think you were being seriouse, lol

lol lets keep this thread alive just for the hell of it !!! yeahh !!!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Well if everyone is doing it please can you Ignore this post as well

j.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

But I have always wanted a Quadra 950

hey john for me too, when i was about 12-14 years old and really starting to become a fan of this 'multimedia' thing (MYST!!), to me, whenever i saw a Quadra, i was like, yeah... some harcore, no-bullsh*t awesome multimedia IS happening right here...

I'm 26 now, and even to this day, to me, the name Quadra (quadra 800 does it for me ) brings back a sensation of old-skool Apple-pro-style multimedia back when it was about the passion, when it was about being part of the cee-dee-rom-revolution and digital graphics and animation and video.... not about making a button that said 'buy now' for justsomeotherrubbish.com

man oh man why am i already jaded at 26?

http://www.phatcraft.com

http://switchcraft.blogspot.com

• Reply 8 of 22
    You should have seen the pure computing power of the Lisa. She was a magnificent beast. Maybe I was young at the time but she dominated a room!

• Reply 9 of 22
    sunilraman

You are right, they even looked serious "hard core" machines.

When I started work in a studio for the first time there were a couple hanging around, made me feel like I had a "real" design job.

And of course they came with thr crazy split keyboard thet just rocked.

j.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

sunilraman

You are right, they even looked serious "hard core" machines.

When I started work in a studio for the first time there were a couple hanging around, made me feel like I had a "real" design job.

And of course they came with thr crazy split keyboard thet just rocked.

j.

i kid you not when i was 12-15 Macs were only in the computer labs at school used by kids in the "gifted" programme (i was ok smart, but not considered "gifted")

and i did some work experience at some multimedia-type places which if i am not wrong was where i first saw Quadras, like you, 'hanging around'. i used to look up with a sparkle in my eye and wondered, who were these amazing people that got to use these amazing machines

*sniff* ah well its good all these repressed childhood memories are coming back. saves me a few therapy sessions... ...."so tell me about your first experiences with the Macintosh....uh huh... go on...."

Old QUADRA AD !!! I've never seen this

http://www.quicktime3.com/samples/appleads/quadra.html

some quicktime 3 samples still lying around here

http://www.quicktime3.com/samplelist.html

(i forgot that was what video on the internet used to be like)
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Those things were real workhorses and seemed to last for ever, we were using one as a "scan mac" untill a couple of years ago (upgraded with a b+w g3).

http://www.apple-history.com/noframe...lery&model=800

j.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    And.... to keep this thread going forever and ever, here's a gem in Quicktime 3

Win98 BlueScreenOfDeath ... 7 years later, CES 2005, same story, same winCrap

http://www.quicktime3.com/samples/hu...in98crash.html

things always go wrong during a demo... even for poor Steve
  • Reply 13 of 22
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I thought about closing this, but... nah. Carry on.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    In reply to a post from above:

I actually have a Quadra 950. Got it for about $2.00 from a University Surplus Auction. Never used the thing though. Keeping it around in case I can ever get a copy of A/UX
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Yeh when I left Uni the techntian let me have 4 Mac plus from an old lab..

two of which were fully working I was going to make a coffee table out of them.

I gave one away to a friend and made (half) an aquarium out of the other.

The two working ones are sat here in my office collecting dust :-)

j.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I thought about closing this, but... nah. Carry on.

• Reply 17 of 22
    ah.. in 1995 my first major HyperCard project was for a final year of high school subject "information processing and technology". Made a kind of environment-saving quiz thingy which tracked your points and made funny Simpsons sounds and itchy & scratchy animations (which i ripped from somewhere)

good times i got the top score in that subject for my year that 1995.

Jesus christ that's 10 years ago

I think we had LC3s or less likely the first PowerMacs or a mixture of both

(based on what rings a bell from this chart:

http://www.tofslie.com/files/evolution_apple.jpg
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Does anyone have any images of old Apple prototypes.

I remember seeing an image of a machine with the stylings of a Mac Plus, but headless, with a full page monitor.

That was a long time ago ( bbs days I think ) and Ive never seen it again.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    LowEndMac.com

Quote:

SkyLab

"As far as Mac Prototypes go, one of the most glorious I ever saw was the Radius 'SkyLab.' That was the development name for the project we were working on. Radius at that time was an early Mac peripheral manufacturer. We had made a Mac II accelerator called the Radius Rocket.

"The SkyLab was a server with 14 NuBus slots and a power supply so huge you could do arc welding on the side with it. It also had fifteen 3-1/2" drive bays, and four 5-1/4" drive bays (for CD ROMs or optical drives).

"The idea was for it to be a dedicated Image RIPer for graphic houses. It never happened.

"I was a Radius employee from 1988 to 1997. The SkyLab box was just as I described: power supply, drive bays and slots. The processors were the Radius Rocket Accelerators. Each Radius Rocket contained its own 68040 Processor and six 72-pin SIMM sockets. The concept was that it would operate as a distributed processor. A render farm. Your computer would have a plug-in that would break down your tasks and divide it amongst the Rocket Processors.

"At the Time of development, we didn't have an agreement with Apple. Only after showing SkyLab to Apple did they have us sign a Licensing agreement. (This was before the PowerPC clones.) An interesting result of the licensing agreement allowed us to use the actual Mac ROMs, but we were forbidden to include a boot floppy. Which was fine, since the whole thing ran from a console application anyway. So we had a Mac SE/30 as the console, but it would run with almost any '020 Mac.

"Another stipulation of the agreement was that we could not actually come out and say we were using the Mac ROMs. This was because at the time DayStar Digital and a few others were working on accelerators, and Apple didn't want to look as if they were playing favorites.

"From what I remember it was possible to boot the whole shebang from a floppy, but for fear of God and Apple it was not pursued or ever mentioned ever again. Using the SE/30 or a Mac IIcx, the whole thing was run like a headless server. The ROM issue was handled by us loading the ROM image into RAM. I forget why we did that, but just another aspect of the goofiness."

-by Anonymous Former Radius Engineer

Dangerous info, that. Even worse, a few days later we were all teased with the possibility that one of these might still exist. VMac'er Gregg Eshelman made contact with one "JFK" who claimed to have seen a SkyLab at his workplace -- "stuffed with Radius Rockets"! Holy Grail, indeed!

• Reply 20 of 22
    Hahaha! We had Mac II's in my elementary school computer room. I remeber getting to go every thursday to play carmen san diego and it was all I looked forward to. It took me 4 years to convince my mom to buy me a mac and when she did she got me a performa 630 CD (sept 94). I thought I was such hot shit cause it had a cd rom and a modem that was 25 times slower than 56k

I still remember my 4th grade teacher giving me 10 pages of standards for talking to my computer lab partner, AND she made me leave!. GRRR!

Ahhh, I thank my elementary school everyday for not making my life hell with windows and getting me started early