Trying to resurrect a G3 iMac (350 MHz) - CDROM Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently came into possession of a 350 MHz G3 iMac that was getting junked at work (still in perfect working order, or at least it WAS...)

I brought it home and booted it up. I found that OS 9.0 was installed on it. I then pulled out the OS 9.2.2 install disk I had from my PowerBook and wiped the HD before installing 9.2.2. So far so good. Once I was rebooted in 9.2.2, I went to Software Update and ran it. I updated CarbonLib, a couple of other apps, and also got the 4.1.9 firmware update, which I ran in the prescribed fashion. Upon another reboot I was informed that the firmware update was a success. However, when I NEXT attempted to put in my Panther install disk, the CD-ROM drive took it in, paused, and immediately spat it back out. I tried other CD's with no luck. I'm wondering if the CD-ROM firmware needs to be updated as well. System Profiler tells me it is a CNR-8242B, from LG electronics. I have searched the company's website with no success in finding firmware for that model. Google was no help either. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the hell I did wrong? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

I recently came into possession of a 350 MHz G3 iMac that was getting junked at work (still in perfect working order, or at least it WAS...)

I brought it home and booted it up. I found that OS 9.0 was installed on it. I then pulled out the OS 9.2.2 install disk I had from my PowerBook and wiped the HD before installing 9.2.2. So far so good. Once I was rebooted in 9.2.2, I went to Software Update and ran it. I updated CarbonLib, a couple of other apps, and also got the 4.1.9 firmware update, which I ran in the prescribed fashion. Upon another reboot I was informed that the firmware update was a success. However, when I NEXT attempted to put in my Panther install disk, the CD-ROM drive took it in, paused, and immediately spat it back out. I tried other CD's with no luck. I'm wondering if the CD-ROM firmware needs to be updated as well. System Profiler tells me it is a CNR-8242B, from LG electronics. I have searched the company's website with no success in finding firmware for that model. Google was no help either. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the hell I did wrong? \

is it a software DVD??
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

is it a software DVD??

Everything I have tried has been a CD. My OS 9 disk and my Panther disks are all CD's (as far as I can tell).

Basically, I think the driver that was installed with 9.2.2 simply doesn't support this model drive, although I thought it should...that's why I'm asking where I can find it. Unless someone has another idea (sigh).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Well, if it turns out to be the drive, I've got a spare from the same model you can use...it came from a failed salvage job of my own.

Hope you get it fixed either way!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

Well, if it turns out to be the drive, I've got a spare from the same model you can use...it came from a failed salvage job of my own.

Hope you get it fixed either way!

You know what, I think I know what the problem is. I looked up the model on Everymac.com, and it says it only supports up through 9.1. The Apple CD/DVD driver that comes with 9.2.2 must not work with the old drive. Crap. Well, does anyone have the CD/DVD extension from 9.1 lying around?