Mitsubishi beats Apple to the punch?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Looks like Mitsubishi may have beaten Apple to the LED projector punch. Mitsu's projector only does 800x600 and won't be out till July, plenty of time for Apple to make an announcement at NAB or the WWDC of a true HD device.

- Jasen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    APPLE will !
  • Reply 2 of 51
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

APPLE will !

Keep saying a lot of things and eventually they will be true.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

APPLE will !

Well, glad to see you still lurking, kormac! Stay close, Tiger is nearing.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    What the hell are you talking about. Apple is going to start marketing projectors now? Huge market there. Ohh yeah I can really see them going after this vast area in need of revision where it's current clientele is going to be jumping for joy screaming. "I've got to get me one of these!." Oh sure we were all planning on buying a projector in the near future anyway.

Where does this stupid crap come from? "Mitsubishi beats Apple to the punch?" Pfffft!
  • Reply 5 of 51
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

What the hell are you talking about. Apple is going to start marketing projectors now? Huge market there. Ohh yeah I can really see them going after this vast area in need of revision where it's current clientele is going to be jumping for joy screaming. "I've got to get me one of these!." Oh sure we were all planning on buying a projector in the near future anyway.

Where does this stupid crap come from? "Mitsubishi beats Apple to the punch?" Pfffft!

It might make some sense if this was indeed the year of HD and with a little do-hicky-gadget projector you could put HD on any wall. That might make someone like me buy one. This also might be in the offing given the recent patent filings of apple and video. Also the impressive video out capabilities of the new powerbooks. (dual dvi to drive the 30" and the dodad?)

I don't know but it could fit into the plan if it is sliced like the mini and could perhaps fit on top/bottom

Tiger and QT7 are indeed needed before such a product hits the shelves.

What else you got up your sleeve Mr Kormac?

do tell!!

• Reply 6 of 51
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

It might make some sense if this was indeed the year of HD and with a little do-hicky-gadget projector you could put HD on any wall. ...

Also they'd have to do something about the incredibly hot, short-lived, and expensive lamps. Joe Consumer is not going to spend $700 every couple of months.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Also they'd have to do something about the incredibly hot, short-lived, and expensive lamps. Joe Consumer is not going to spend $700 every couple of months.

ah!! so there is the rub!
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Please pay attention and read the original post and/or the press release it linked to. The Mitsu projector uses LEDs with a 20,000 hour life (estimated 10 years running 5 hrs/day).

onlooker, your pessimism and lack of vision disappoint me. Methinks folks said the same sort of things about the iPod. What a failure that's been!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

onlooker, your pessimism and lack of vision

- Jasen.

Puullleeezzz... Your speculating from such thin air it's pathetic. My skepticism on the iPod was based on supposed leaked documents. This is some guy standing on his head, and talking out of his aaassssss. This isn't going to happen.

Do you even remember where these projector rumors started from?

It was a few years back and your hero here caught wind of another rumor saying apple was in talks about projectors with one of their current suppliers.

Do you know why Apple was talking about projectors with one of their LCD partners who also had connections for projector components? They were opening a retail chain, and every one of their retail stores was to have a projector in it. Duuuhhhh! Needless to say every Apple store has a projector.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    I dunno. Alan Gouger from AVS Forums mentioned he had heard rumors of Apple and Projectors. Alan isn't they type of guy that spreads rumors either.

This thing is cute. I want one!!
  • Reply 11 of 51
    I want one too. But in hidef
  • Reply 12 of 51
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

You mean like digital music players prior to the iPod?

Onlooker, would you like to put a little wager on this? Your choice of escrow. ?50 says that within a year there's an Apple projector.

You widdit?
  • Reply 13 of 51
    If Apple decided to go into the projector business, I highly doubt they'd be doing anything relating to that acutal display design or fabrication.

That is, they don't actually make LCD panels, and I don't expect Apple to be making DLPs or LEDs. They may make a projector that uses OEM display parts, but to say the Mitsu beat Apple to the punch isn't very helpful, since, generally speaking, the two companies occupy two different tiers of the electronics industry.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Your speculating from such thin air it's pathetic.

Sombody posts a press release, and you call it thin air. You then fail to read the article, and complain about short life of expensive lamps when it is really inexpensive/long-life LEDs. Now THAT is pathetic...

Maybe Apple will OEM this or not - unless they add some real value, who cares if they OEM it. It will be available in July, regardless.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

I want one too. But in hidef

I want one three, but in 1080p HD.

Screed
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Sombody posts a press release, and you call it thin air. You then fail to read the article, and complain about short life of expensive lamps when it is really inexpensive/long-life LEDs. Now THAT is pathetic...

No, cubist didn't read the article and complained about life expectancy. Onlooker just voiced incredulity at the whole idea.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

What the hell are you talking about. .......Oh sure we were all planning on buying a projector in the near future anyway.

Possible:

Well, like me, a good chunk of the world is waiting to buy a big HD flat screen TV until prices drop to affordable levels. Apple could have a hit with a sensible living room HD projector that was small and mobile, easy to use, and at a non-HD flatscreen price.

Less possible:

Wireless and ceiling mountable. I have an led flashlight that is "always on" a single 9volt battery gives you like 20,000 hours. Faster wireless and smaller movie files could eventually make this happen.

Out there:

Put a DVD drive in it and it is a complete solution...although, I don't see Apple going that route. Maybe if it were linked to a movie software/distribution app. like the iTunes/store. It would be the video iPod. You buy movies or you could rip your DVDs's into the new video codec and load up your projector thereby ditching the need for a DVD drive on it. I can see Apple's marketing campaign already.... people painting white rectangles everywhere to project on.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I've never ever liked this particular rumour...I just don't see the potential 'Appleness' of it.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Since all of you "senior" members insisted on posting about the stupidity of this before knowning what the hell was going on...

***The projector?s advanced lighting technology is rated to last an unprecedented 20,000 hours; with an average use of five hours per day, the lamp is expected to last over ten years.

***The PocketProjector powers on or off instantly

This isn't a lamp based project, it's a cheap LED based, cheep easy to use, and pretty damn good idea. If you can put a $200 device in your pocket that projects a 12 FOOT screen anywhere would you buy one? While they don't fit in your pocket yet the technology is getting there.

For those of you who said there is no market for projectors you are probably living in the middle of nowhere in a grass hut. In a "real" work enviroment projectors are everywhere. There are 20+ "portable" projectors in our office alone for sales teams to take.....

Quote:

ah!! so there is the rub!

• Reply 20 of 51
    you are all forgetting job's comment right at the beginning of the last keynote where he says something like "this is the first time we're projecting in HD. It's gorgeous. I'll leave you to ask yourselves WHY?"