Mini can't see kbd/mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My mac mini works fine when I plug the keyboard and mouse directly into the unit, but when I plug it into a hub, then it can't see it anymore. Any ideas?

This is my setup:

USB perif -> hub -> kvm -> two computers

I know that everything is hooked up OK, because my PC can see the keyboard and mouse, it is just the mac that has troubles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

My mac mini works fine when I plug the keyboard and mouse directly into the unit, but when I plug it into a hub, then it can't see it anymore. Any ideas?

This is my setup:

USB perif -> hub -> kvm -> two computers

I know that everything is hooked up OK, because my PC can see the keyboard and mouse, it is just the mac that has troubles.

It could be a firmware issue -- is there a need to use the hub?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    It seems fairly obvious that your KVM switch is not designed to work with a hub ( which doesn't surprise me in the least).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

It seems fairly obvious that your KVM switch is not designed to work with a hub ( which doesn't surprise me in the least).

I tried the hub without the kvm, and the kvm without the hub (well, without the 2nd hub, there is a 3-port hub built into the kvm), and still no luck with the mac.

I don't think it is a problem with either the kvm or the hub, because the PC sees the keyboard and mouse through both the KVM and the hub.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

It could be a firmware issue -- is there a need to use the hub?

The KVM has only 3 USB ports, and I have 2 printers, 1 camera, + keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The KVM has only 3 USB ports, and I have 2 printers, 1 camera, + keyboard and mouse.

bluetooh your keyboard and mouse
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

bluetooh your keyboard and mouse

That would work, except how would my PC and mac know when to ignore the other guys keyboard and mouse input?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    does the mac recognize a drive pluged into the kvm switch?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Keyboards and mice really aren't designed for running through USB hubs. Especially if the hub doesn't have a power brick plugged into a wall outlet. Unpowered hubs are notorious for not carrying a signal properly to peripherals.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Keyboards and mice really aren't designed for running through USB hubs. Especially if the hub doesn't have a power brick plugged into a wall outlet. Unpowered hubs are notorious for not carrying a signal properly to peripherals.

I'll second that. I have a mac mini and a PC, which then go into a switchable USB hub. I had to make sure the hub was powered (I also upgraded to a USB2 one), otherwise the keyboard didn't work.

I get the feeling that the mini just doesn't supply as much power to the USB ports as PCs do..
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I made some progress - I unplugged everything, and just plugged both the mouse and keyboard into the kvm switch (rather than plugging the mouse into the keyboard).

The trick must me that you can't plug any unpowered hub into the kvm switch or the mac.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Most KVM's are very very picky when it comes to Mac compatibility. We have Belkin Omniviews at work and they always cause problems when going from PC to Mac.

However, I've had great success with Dr. Bott's USB KVM's.