iPhoto problem - albums there but no pictures!! HELP!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi folks. Working on the new G5 1.6ghz here. 10.3.7 Hardly a mac idiot here but OUT OF NO WHERE, I opened iphoto 4.0.3 and found NO albums, NO pictures.

I did a restart and prayed - then I got all my albums in order BUT NO PICTURES in the entire program or in the albums. NADA.

The pictures are on my computer hard drive - in their little numbered/dated albums and aliases. The data IS there, but they are not in their nifty iphoto order. There is absolutely NO photo date in my iphoto. iPhoto reads "0 pictures" -

Can I do an import? Talk me through it if possible.

What the heck happened? I did nothing! I use the program daily for photo storage and order and that is about it.

I am in desparate need of memory - only working with 256k (ok, so I am an idiot) but that should not screw up my iphoto right?

Thanks in advance here. I will absolutely choke if I have to REorganized a thousand pictures into 30 albums!!!

I also tried to do iPhoto 5.0 update and got this error on my computer - I am guessing b/c I do not have 5.0. Do I have to spend the $79 to get it? I mean I Just got this computer 4 mo ago?!

"iPhotoUpdate501 cannot be installed on this computer.

Neither iPhoto 5.0 nor iPhoto 5.0.1 could not be found in /Applications."

so..I did a command alt shift and I am waiting for a miracle!

Ps- my mac friend said not to the 10.3.8 update b/c his computer got @#$%ed up afterward and so did his friends. Is this true? Should I worry about the update or just do it? Could that be why iphoto is acting up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    problem solved. my albums rebuilded. all is well.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craftymacgirl

Ps- my mac friend said not to the 10.3.8 update b/c his computer got @#$%ed up afterward and so did his friends. Is this true? Should I worry about the update or just do it? Could that be why iphoto is acting up?

Any time you update any OS in a major way, (osx 10.3.x -> 10.3.y, windows service pack, linux new kernal build, whatever) you should back up anything that you do not want to loose, These updates may work as intended 99% of the time, but you never want to be that one percent if you have no backup.

I have read some great reviews online for .8, was there a particular app that the update messed up or conflicted with?

In conclusion, there are three rules when talking about data of any importance: BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP

iDisk, CD/DVD, 2nd or external HDD, email it to yourself, whatever, just back up your stuff
  • Reply 3 of 3
    NEW PROBLEM>...I had all my albums organized and then opened iphoto and no albums or pictures where there (but they are on my hard drive). SO I restarted...then all my album names where there but NO IMAGES. So I went to apple site support and they said to open iphoto while holding down such and such keys (control alt shift or something close to that)...so I did that...then iphoto went into "rebuild and restore albums/images" mode...it took about 45 minutes and everything was back up and fine. Then today...all my albums are there but no images again. What is the best thing to do? Completely trash iphoto (keep the album data on my HD) and then rebuild from there? I have iphoto 4.0.7 and I heard iphoto 5 is much worse with bugs.