One last time: What should I buy and when?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I know I have made multiple threads about what I should buy, but I realized some things about my situation and this is my last "what should I buy thread." Here we go:

I sold my iMac G3 a couple years ago. I have my photos/music/files scattered among a bunch of ZIP drives, CDs, CF cards, and two computers. I have $300 in Apple Store gift certificates and a little under $2000 to spend. I have wanted a new Mac and an iPod for a couple years now but have kept putting it off because I knew something better was always around the corner.

This is what I mainly want to use a new Mac for: iLife, Office, internet, and Dreamweaver. I don't need portability and I don't really like laptops. You get less for what you pay for and I would have to buy a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to be able to use a laptop at home. I don't like the eMac's CRT display, the Powermac is too expensive, and I don't have an extra keyboard, mouse, and display to use with a Mini. Because of these reasons, I decided the iMac G5 would be the best Mac for my needs.

A couple months ago, I decided to wait for a revision B iMac G5 since I thought it would come with standard 512 MB RAM, an 8X Superdrive and updated graphics card with more video RAM. I also wanted to wait for OSX 10.4 and was worried about the current iMac's fan noise issues.

My situation now is that I will be living in Europe starting in late summer for about 9 months to a year. I really want a computer before then, but I don't want to take it with me to Europe. I just want something so I can organize all my stuff in one place, buy an iPod that I will take to Europe, and have a computer I can call my own and that I can use during these next 6 months and then when I come home.

My question is: What would you do if you were in my situation? I also don't want to spend too much money since I won't really be using the thing during my time in Europe (other than when I come home to visit). Is buying refurbished a good idea? What should I do? Also, the thing that worries me the most about the current iMac is the fan noise problems. Is the problem less widespread than it seems? Does it have a fix yet?

About revision B, I have heard that it could come out earliest March and latest June. Is this true? Could it only be updated in June? The fact that it might only be updated in June is the main reason I would want to buy now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Well I couldn't live nine months without my Mac, living in europe or not. I can't tell you what you should do as that is a personal opinion. However, I would suggest you get a PowerBook and use it in Europe and when you get back sell it and get a powermac G5. If you really don't care about having a computer in Europe I suppose I'd get a PowerMac. I'm not a big iMac fan. I rotate between PowerMacs and PowerBooks most of the time.

One thing about the PowerMac is that they have really good resale value, thus you can sell it and get a newer version pretty easily. I wouldn't put my money into the iMac. Get a Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac or wait till they update and get a dual 2Ghz for the same price.

Apple should update the PowerMac the next few months now...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Just so you know; if you buy the iMac G5 in America and take it with you to Europe, it won't work. Not without some expensive, mambo-jambo AC adapter that will convert your 120 to 220W that is used in Europe. All iMac G5's do this automatically, except the ones sold in the US and Japan.

I don't know why the did this, but its one of the things keeping me away from it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Just so you know; if you buy the iMac G5 in America and take it with you to Europe, it won't work. Not without some expensive, mambo-jambo AC adapter that will convert your 120 to 220W that is used in Europe. All iMac G5's do this automatically, except the ones sold in the US and Japan.

I don't know why the did this, but its one of the things keeping me away from it.

I know. I would never take a new Mac desktop to Europe with me. I would however take a laptop. But then my question is:

How much are iBook/Powerbook adapters/battery chargers that will work Europe? Where would I get them?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I know they (Apple) sell a World Traveler Kit for iPods, but I'm not sure about iBooks/PowerBooks.

Maybe you can ask them?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

How much are iBook/Powerbook adapters/battery chargers that will work Europe? Where would I get them?

You can use the same adapter and battery, all you'll need is a plug-adapter that's widely available or you can buy the travel kit Gene Clean mentioned for $40

:-)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Why not just buy a cheap as chips base model iBook and keep it for 1 year? It will do you til you get back from Europe - it will be fast enough, do all your iLife etc, and you can take it to Europe. All you need is a plug adaptor which would cost you about $5. When you get back, just stick it on eBay, you will get decent money for it, and you then still have the best part of $2000 to spend on a Rev C iMac which will be out by then!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Why not just buy a cheap as chips base model iBook and keep it for 1 year? It will do you til you get back from Europe - it will be fast enough, do all your iLife etc, and you can take it to Europe. All you need is a plug adaptor which would cost you about $5. When you get back, just stick it on eBay, you will get decent money for it, and you then still have the best part of $2000 to spend on a Rev C iMac which will be out by then!

That would seem to make the most sense, but there are some things that I definitely want in a new Mac such as 512MB RAM, and 80GB hard drive, a Superdrive, and a screen that's as big as possible.

An iBook with those specs and APP would be about $1700! A Powerbook would be several hundreds of dollars more, but I would get more power, more features, and a bigger screen. I think my next thread will be an iBook vs. Powerbook thread and then I'll finally make a decision.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I buy all my Macs from Yellow Dog Linux which are US versions. The power is 110 -220, no problems there. Buy the Mac in the US though their cheaper then Europe. The Apple warranty is also good here to. Which are county(ies) are you visiting, can I recommend Switzerland?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I buy all my Macs from Yellow Dog Linux which are US versions. The power is 110 -220, no problems there. Buy the Mac in the US though their cheaper then Europe. The Apple warranty is also good here to. Which are county(ies) are you visiting, can I recommend Switzerland?

Buying in Europe isn't too expensive right now. Apple has dropped the price of the whole range here in the UK a few months back because the dollar is so weak. Great news for us UK residents.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

LOL! I'm not sure exactly where I'm going yet this summer, but I will be traveling across Europe in August and then living in Budapest for about 9-12 months. I am Hungarian after all.