15-inch Combo or SuperDrive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am about to dive-in for a 15-inch PowerBook, either the Combo or the SuperDrive. My main concern is, is the SuperDrive worth the extra bucks? Or am I better off getting a Combo with an external DVD writer? I understand that iDVD does not support external DVD writers. So...

My choices are:

1) Get the (1.5GHz) 15-inch Combo or

2) Get the (1.67HZ) 15-inch SuperDrive + 128 VRAM (since the option is available)

Ps. If I get a Combo, will I be able to add a SuperDrive a few months down the road on the machine?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    It is hard for us to know, if the $300 for a superdrive and faster G4 is worth it to you.

Do you want to make DVDs? $300 for an extra 167 MHZ and the Superdrive isn't a bad deal in my opinion. For me, I really want a Superdrive. If you have the money and it won't hurt too much, you might want to go with the superdrive. It will save you from regretting it later. Yes, you could always use an external burner with the Powerbook and use a third party application to burn your DVDs. However, do you think you'd ever want to burn a DVD on the road, or around the house, without an external burner attached? If so, you might consider the superdrive model.

There is an authorized Apple service center online that will upgrade you to a Superdrive. I forget exactly how much it costs. I believe they can even put a dual-layer burner in it, for you. That might be a good value, for I think it costs only $250. Does someone have a link to that site? I always lose that address. You send the notebook in, they swap the drives, and they get it back to you very quickly. They are an authorized service center, so you still have your warranty, if I'm not mistaken.

You mention the 128MB of VRAM being available on the super model. Again, if you really want that, go for it.

However, if the DVD burning and extra VRAM is not something you will use, the combo drive machine gives you everything else.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Do you really need DVD burning capability on the go?

Just BTO a 1.67GHZ - SuperDrive + 128MB VRAM and still save 50 bucks!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    If you are willing to open it up you can actually add an 8x dual layer burner for 120 if you order it here:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....iteria=AA32760

Think I am going to order one for my rev. 1 17" Powerbook in the near future...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Is it possible to expand the video RAM of the Powerbook 15" later?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by n2o2

No, Graphic cards on Laptops are built on to the moherboard. I just orderd the 15 with the extra 128mb and I think you should do the same ever if you feel that you don't really need burn DVD's at the moment,simply because this setup will last longer into the future than if you only have combo and 64mb. 128mb really comes in handy if you were to hook your powerbook to an external display.

Viktor
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by n2o2

No. If you want more than 64 you have to go SuperDrive. And then, of course, you'll be "stuck with" 128.

--B

Edit: Beat me to it, Vik.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks for all the replies! Another question is, is the 8x SuperDrive currently offered by Apple dual-layer?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by tling

Thanks for all the replies! Another question is, is the 8x SuperDrive currently offered by Apple dual-layer?

No.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    1) The extra megahertz don't mean anything. Punch the numbers into a calculator and see how many % improvement you get. Anything under 20% difference you won't notice.

2) If you have to ask whether or not to get a Superdrive, don't. If you need it later, add on a nice Firewire dual-layer (or HD-DVD if much later) drive.

3) The only way you are going to see a difference from 128MB VRAM is if you use an external screen. I wouldn't count on seeing any difference on the 20" though, only from there up. If it slows down, it's only Expose that skips frames, and that does nothing to the usability of the computer. I have experience from a 64MB Powerbook and a 32MB iBook, and a low res external screen. Also measured used memory with Quartz monitoring tool. I managed to burn 50MB on the PB at most.

All that said, if you have extra money to burn, there are probably many worse places to put it than Apple hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

1) The extra megahertz don't mean anything. Punch the numbers into a calculator and see how many % improvement you get. Anything under 20% difference you won't notice.

2) If you have to ask whether or not to get a Superdrive, don't. If you need it later, add on a nice Firewire dual-layer (or HD-DVD if much later) drive.

3) The only way you are going to see a difference from 128MB VRAM is if you use an external screen. I wouldn't count on seeing any difference on the 20" though, only from there up. If it slows down, it's only Expose that skips frames, and that does nothing to the usability of the computer. I have experience from a 64MB Powerbook and a 32MB iBook, and a low res external screen. Also measured used memory with Quartz monitoring tool. I managed to burn 50MB on the PB at most.

All that said, if you have extra money to burn, there are probably many worse places to put it than Apple hardware.

Great advice man, thanks! Also, would I be ok with the 64 VRAM for the upcoming release of Tiger? I'm planning to use the PowerBook at least 4-5 years...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    The graphics setup will be good for tiger, and if the published specs remain the same will run core image in gpu. One option that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that you can add a superdrive to the 1.5GHz machine as a BTO option - although you can't add the 128MB VRAM option.