Odd Food of the south

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Found a story in USA TODAY

Some of the wierdest things that I have ever heard of, like the hamdog
Quote:

The dish, a specialty of Mulligan's, a suburban bar, is a hot dog wrapped by a beef patty that's deep fried, covered with chili, cheese and onions and served on a hoagie bun. Oh yeah, it's also topped with a fried egg and two fistfuls of fries.

This thing is not for the faint of heart...literaly
Quote:

"...I'm the only girl who can eat a whole one without flinching," Cleaveland said proudly.

The article has some great advice for would be patrons
Quote:

"If you choke that down, you might as well find a heart surgeon because you are going to need one."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Sounds pretty tasty. As long as you don't make a habit of eating them, it doesn't like a big problem. I'd even go so far as to say that it doesn't compete with the aptly named "heartstopper," a delicacy of the area stretching between Philly and New York, which is a 12" long cheesesteak topped off with a mound of bacon, russian dressing, and fried eggs.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Never heard of it. Sounds deliciously life-ending.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    if the whole thing were stuffed inside some chitlins, it'd be perfect.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Ah, Splinemodel beat me to it. Ooh, don't forget about the Fat Lady: cheesesteak with fries, mozzarella sticks, onion rings (IIRC) and hot sauce all squeezed into one torpedo roll. The first dish sounds great too.

I was talking to someone about getting season tickets to the (Durham) Bulls games this year, and we got into ballpark food. I said I loved baseball more for the hot dogs than the sport itself, and he looked at me kinda funny. "Hot dog? Not barbequed pork?" Mmmmm... vinegary.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Sounds pretty tasty. As long as you don't make a habit of eating them, it doesn't like a big problem. I'd even go so far as to say that it doesn't compete with the aptly named "heartstopper," a delicacy of the area stretching between Philly and New York, which is a 12" long cheesesteak topped off with a mound of bacon, russian dressing, and fried eggs.

All you need to do is drop the sub roll (bad, bad, evil carbs, doncha know) and you'd have a lovely Atkins diet treat.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    theres a thing up in Roch, NY called a "Garbage Plate". it becomes less appetizing as you hear what the garbage part consists of.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Yankees don't know how to cook. Give me Texas BBQ and Cajun food and of course Mexican food.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Ah, Splinemodel beat me to it. Ooh, don't forget about the Fat Lady: cheesesteak with fries, mozzarella sticks, onion rings (IIRC) and hot sauce all squeezed into one torpedo roll. The first dish sounds great too.

I was talking to someone about getting season tickets to the (Durham) Bulls games this year, and we got into ballpark food. I said I loved baseball more for the hot dogs than the sport itself, and he looked at me kinda funny. "Hot dog? Not barbequed pork?" Mmmmm... vinegary.

The "Fat Lady" is nice as well, but I've only seen it at the Haven. The heartstopper, believe it or not, can be found a most good hoagie shops in Philly and Jersey. New York has its own share of excellent, high-performance sandwiches, but none offer quite the intimidation of the heartstopper.

Currently I'm in coastal FL (due southeast of Orlando) and there's not at all the level of independently owned, greasy-spoon establishments. It's a shame. However, there is one place near the house called "Longdoggers," which among other things serves footlong hotdogs. The Reuben-dog with chili is a good one.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Give me a double Volcano maki roll woth extra chili sauce and extra tempura flakes.

mmmmm...
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

Yankees don't know how to cook. Give me Texas BBQ and Cajun food and of course Mexican food.

Agreed, except for the Texas BBQ. IIRC, Texas BBQ is all beef and all "wet." I like pork and dry rub.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Not quite as calorie rich, but Ontario and Quebec have this french dish "putsin", which is french fries with cheese and brown gravy. Quite yummy.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Not quite as calorie rich, but Ontario and Quebec have this french dish "putsin", which is french fries with cheese and brown gravy. Quite yummy.

Do you mean "poutine"? Or is "putsin" different?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

true, texmex kicks ass, but a hamburger, hotdog, and EGGS....that is just wrong...
  • Reply 14 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

If I am not mistaken, Steak and Shake has something like that.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Do you mean "poutine"? Or is "putsin" different?

I thought that Poutine meant prostitute? The fries with gravy and cheese is pronounced "Put-Sin", but I don't know how to spell it.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

I thought that Poutine meant prostitute? The fries with gravy and cheese is pronounced "Put-Sin", but I don't know how to spell it.

Poutine. Looks like the same thing. Maybe pronunciation differs depending upon where you are.

edit: yup. It's the same thing.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

you said it...

You guys havent truely experienced life until you've had a couple of sacks of boiled crawfish straight from the boiler to the newspaper (those of you who have been to a real crawfish boil know what I'm talking about). It is quite possibly the best compliment to a icey Corona I've ever had.

• Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

I think you mean poontang, which is something entirely different.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I think you mean poontang, which is something entirely different.

I thought you guys from the bayou were at least partially familiar with French.

Perhaps we Yankees can't cook because we were too busy kicking ass.
  • Reply 20 of 33

People down here are still a little sensitive about that Civil War thing