Dashboard for Finder (and other improvements)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was looking at my Palm the other day and there's a calendar view which lists your activities and to-do and e-mail. I thought it would be really cool If in OS X you could see a similar screen rather than having to go mail and iCal separately. I was wondering if there was anything like this anywhere? Or if anyone else thinks it would be cool if it was built into the finder. Obviously dashboard has some of these features but doesn't address it the same.

I would also like better .Mac integration. For example being able to create a homepage from OS X and then connecting to the net to upload all files etc.

Also it would be cool if you could specify that the dock should auto-hide in some apps.

If this stuff is available I apologise in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I'm not sure how it relates to the Finder -- it's more of a concise, less visual, text-y mini-Dashboard, but it's a nice concept. Seems like a good opportunity for a programmer who wants to learn how to skim data from various apps.

Panic's Stattoo is similar to this idea, btw, though it suffers IMO by being bound to the desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

I'm not sure how it relates to the Finder -- it's more of a concise, less visual, text-y mini-Dashboard, but it's a nice concept. Seems like a good opportunity for a programmer who wants to learn how to skim data from various apps.

Panic's Stattoo is similar to this idea, btw, though it suffers IMO by being bound to the desktop.

It's not quite as subtle as I wanted it, I would love Apple to make dashboard widgets that looked a bit classier as well. They all look a bit garish and tacky. However, the link is a similar concept. I basically want to log in and see a status of my diary, to-do and mail without having to launch anything. Just a way to check what's on the agenda.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm also not sure why this would have anything to do with the Finder per se. Let each app and widget have a specific purpose instead of over-burdening one.

However, wouldn't it be nice if you had a calendar view in the Finder to help you find files by date created, modified, last opened, etc. like what iPhoto lets you do now? For that matter, you could do it all over the place.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I'm also not sure why this would have anything to do with the Finder per se. Let each app and widget have a specific purpose instead of over-burdening one.

However, wouldn't it be nice if you had a calendar view in the Finder to help you find files by date created, modified, last opened, etc. like what iPhoto lets you do now? For that matter, you could do it all over the place.

I thought it could be on the desktop in finder - like the buttons in the Apple stores? I though you'd press F11 to see your schedule and F12 to see eBay, stock, etc.

Apple could build it into the Finder (into the side-bar) but you'd need to index first (Spotlight) in order to know when files were created etc. Maybe we should suggest it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Nice idea! This would work beautifully with Spotlight.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I was just longing for something like this a few days ago. Specifically, I was lamenting the disappearance of a view in MS Outlook 97 where it'd tell you EXACTLY the information you're wanting to have displayed.

Nice. I miss it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I was just longing for something like this a few days ago. Specifically, I was lamenting the disappearance of a view in MS Outlook 97 where it'd tell you EXACTLY the information you're wanting to have displayed.

Nice. I miss it.

well that's one person like me then!