Mitsubishi beats Apple to the punch?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Alan Gouger from AVS Forums mentioned he had heard rumors of Apple and Projectors. Alan isn't they type of guy that spreads rumors either.

He doesn't spread rumors yet he posted on a messageboard talking about a rumor he had heard?

• Reply 42 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

You would think so being that projectors have been around the better half of the last century.

Regardless, of the opinion on how cheap projectors can be comprised of fairly standard parts I still think existing projector companies would have no problem making higher quality, and underpricing Apple while riding Apples buzz to the bank on this.

First off, I'm not saying that Apple will make a projector. I am saying, though, that it's not very hard. It's really not. NEC makes a nice, DLP projector. DO they make lenses? No. They may or not make a DLP chip.

If Apple were to make a very-easy-to-use projector, that could (gasp) project in various aspect ratios, and (gasp), have an internal control that didn't absolute fuck up Windows, it would be worth the extra cost. (Let's face it, a lot of computers are Windows, and Windows blows at anything that involves hardware interfacing.) Now, it doesn't have to be Apple to make this, but they seem to be the only company that goes into a project development cycle with a list of feature improvements that actually mean something.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    See link below for story on how Nicholas Negreponte sees how to potentially use such technology...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4243733.stm

Dont be distracted by the cost factor focused in on this story but consider by using stripped down technology with non fixed screen could bring much benefit to many. Life changing/enhancing/educational etc.

For me a real interesting prospect. Wish Mr Negropente the best with this venture.

/userone
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

He doesn't spread rumors yet he posted on a messageboard talking about a rumor he had heard?

Good point. I remember this from a year ago and dug out the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=3237921
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Apple's strength is software too, I agreee. The halo effect is accelerating. Apple is ready. Are you? 8)
  • Reply 46 of 51
    There is a lot of research into very tiny projectors (size of a sugar cube). Imagine one of these in a video iPod. That gets over the objection of a small screen size.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

There is a lot of research into very tiny projectors (size of a sugar cube). Imagine one of these in a video iPod. That gets over the objection of a small screen size.

I was also pondering the video iPod angle though I was not aware of the "size of a sugar cube" potential. Do you have any links on this? If the projector had a hard drive, it could be used for all kinds of things without needing to be attached to a computer. Add an airport card for streaming and this would really rock.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    What I want to know is how long before an iPod HoloVideo can do this:

"Help me, Steve Jobs, you're my only hope..."
  • Reply 49 of 51
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

i thought this was because of the new HD codec of quicktime and not new hardware?

That's how I took it! I would love to be able to pop a projector in my backpack along with m PB and fo to class for a set-up that takes 5 minuntes at my pace and did not leave a whole class waiting for a Projector Deliveray man to appear or me to un-tangle the wires on one of those monstrosities borrowed from the Library!
  • Reply 50 of 51
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

What I want to know is how long before an iPod HoloVideo can do this:

"Help me, Steve Jobs, you're my only hope..."

I like the hologram solution, but the ones in Frank Herbert's Dune were even better.

(Sorry no pics today...)
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

I like the hologram solution, but the ones in Frank Herbert's Dune were even better.

(Sorry no pics today...)

damn... describe them to me? i read Dune but i can't remember what the Dune holograms were like? hmmmmmm too much psytrance and drugs for me in the past few years