M4984 What do I have?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There are better places to sell your goods. I am NOT selling anything, but I'd appreciate any help understanding what I have so we can sell it elsewhere.

My son bought a computer after he was told it was a 700 MHz iMac. It seems he was swindled, and he needs your help to cut his losses. The only identification we can find is a tiny sticker that says M4984 family. On powerup, it displays an icon alternating between a question mark and two squarish looking faces (probably forever, but I didn't wait that long).

It came with some manuals and a load of Apple developer-oriented CDs, dated around 1993-1995.

That's all I know. Does anyone here have any idea what this is, how badly it is broken, whether it can be repaired, and maybe even what it's worth? Or has he bought an expensive paperweight?

If I can provide any more information, just tell me where to look. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Maybe you can describe what it looks like? Color, shape, etc.? According to google, M4984 refers to a line of older iMacs, but any iMac is quite distinctive looking, so it should be obvious whether you got a real one or not.

The icon you see on startup (the flashing question mark) means that the computer cannot find a functional system folder. That can mean any of a number of things: the computer may not have a hard drive at all, the hard drive may be corrupted, the drive contents may have been erased by the previous owner, the system folder on the drive may be corrupted, etc. If the computer came with an install CD, try putting it in the CD drive and starting up while holding down "c". If nothing else is wrong with the computer, it will happily boot into the installer program. You can then install the MacOS and start using the computer.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The iMac didn't debut until well after the dates on those CDs, so the chances are they're unrelated. Any chance you could post a pic of the unit for us, it'd go a long way towards idenitfying it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The M4984 are the older line of iMac's. Go to www.everymac.com and you should be able to identify which one you have. They also give an estimated value of the machine. Then check ebay for current prices.

Hopefully one of the disks you have is a system disk or a Software Restore. That will have the utilities. Reformat the hard drive, run disk first aid just to make sure the hard drive is okay. Then do the software restore. Good luck.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cmacma Posts: 25member
    Just my 2 cents: I presume no picture of your iMac was taken before it was stolen?

I for example make of everything i have a pic just incase.Photo and documented in all.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I guess I didn't make it clear. It wasn't stolen. He bought the computer (which does say iMac on it, by the way) then learned he had been swindled when it wasn't what the seller had claimed. He either loses the purchase price, or the purchase price less what he can sell it for. I'll post a picture when I can, but it seems my wife has the camera in her purse.

No system disk Anybody know where I can get one? (After I know what I need perhaps.)

Thanks for the help so far.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by bazerko

I guess I didn't make it clear. It wasn't stolen. He bought the computer (which does say iMac on it, by the way) then learned he had been swindled when it wasn't what the seller had claimed. He either loses the purchase price, or the purchase price less what he can sell it for. I'll post a picture when I can, but it seems my wife has the camera in her purse.

No system disk Anybody know where I can get one? (After I know what I need perhaps.)

Thanks for the help so far.

Yeah- you basically need a copy of the Mac OS. You can get a copy from Apple- OS 10.3 "Panther" or I'm sure you can find something on eBay or something...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    APPLE IMAC M4984 G3 266MHz

Don't install OSX 10.3 on it unless you like to watch the spinny wheel of death for kicks. This computer was more suited for OS 9.2, I would install Linux on it however. go here => http://www.yellowdoglinux.com. It's a PPC Linux version for Apple computers, runs great, comes with lots of software and it's FREE.

To speed the computer up there is a 500mhz daughter card upgrade for it. I wouldn't bother though, saving up for a Mac Mini is probably the better idea.

Good Luck!