Post Your Computer Setup 2005!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac on a Mac

Thats is quite a collection datamodel ! Do all those machines work? Some of the older SGI s are cool in an ugly sort of way\

Yep, they all work - I had a collection of dead ones until recently, when they went in a skip.

I forgot - there's 2 SGI Crimson's too, but only one works, and then only intermittently. Very cool though - the Jurassic Park "Unix System, I know this!" box...

The Onyx is pretty cool - massive, but great tech back in the day. Mainly the kids use it to play bzflag, but the RE2 graphics are pretty nice - 160 MB graphics set in 1994, with features still missing from current gfx cards. I used to use an Indigo2 for all my image editing until I got the iMac last December.

The VR rig all works, but the Fastrak (magnetic tracker) has a wobble that makes it pretty much unusable, which is a pity - it was becoming a nice project.

The SPARCs are all servers (firewall, mail, desktop, SunRay server, DNS/NIS, etc.)

I came close to getting an older EMC Symmetrix last year, but luckily saw reason before committing any money/sanity.

I may not see dead people, but I have spoken to the PROM monitor of a VGXT Display Generator (one of the four 9U high cards making up a high end graphics set for 1991 SGIs) down a serial line. It's a surprisingly similar experience...

Aw, see... ya got me started ramblin' again.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 22 of 135
    For anyone interested, older Suns are pretty cheap on eBay. A lot of universities just gave them away when OS X came out. I know that I had a bunch of Ultra 5's sitting in the basement back when I was living in Princeton.

Incidentally, I also got a free Sawtooth GigE Dual 500MHz with an ATTO Dual Express (SCSI 160) Card, an 120GB RAID connected to the said controller, a 90GB IDE drive, and 512MB of RAM. It's pretty nice, but a bit noisy.
  • Reply 23 of 135
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Updated Picture

• Reply 24 of 135
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Very nice. But doesn't the glare bother you a little?
  • Reply 25 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Very nice. But doesn't the glare bother you a little?

The picture was taken at like 5:00am in the morning at sunrise. The glare would normally bother me, but it is very rarely that I am working at that time in the morning. From about 7:30am or so each morning I can comfortably work at my computer without the glare causing a problem.

I enjoy having a big window to look out of as I work each day.
  • Reply 26 of 135
    cmacma Posts: 25member
    Because some folks liked my setup and it disappeared from the server here it is again with a second pic as an extra angle.

• Reply 27 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

Because some folks liked my setup and it disappeared from the server here it is again with a second pic as an extra angle.

Please tell me that you're putting that setup to good use- web design, print design, video editing, something!
  • Reply 28 of 135
    eeeeh...nope..just surfing the web, downloading songs,burning cd's and some text-working, you know the usual home-things.
  • Reply 29 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

Updated Picture

the pic looks really cool but that's gotta hurt your eyes to work with the sun like that.
  • Reply 30 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

eeeeh...nope..just surfing the web, downloading songs,burning cd's and some text-working, you know the usual home-things.

What size Apple Studio Display is that and is it hanging on the wall? I want to do a similar setup but I'm having trouble deciding between the 20" & 23" but I like your setup. Sorry can't tell from those pictures as to what size it is.
  • Reply 31 of 135
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I do EVERYTHING on my setup. Video editing, web development, graphic design, gaming, entertainment, photography work, programming, you name it.

and it's real purdy too (sarcasm)

here ya go

Not seen here is my network drive I use for backup--a G4 Dual 800 powermac with 2x250GB hard drives in a hardware RAID-0. My whole network and every node on it is 1000BaseT Switched.

I'm also using all but 1 port on my G5 (the fw800), and that includes the front ports and my cards too!

Feel free to comment.
  • Reply 32 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

http://homepage.mac.com/rcpm/PhotoAlbum21.html

broken
  • Reply 33 of 135
    Does anyone have pics of a 30" cinema display? i would love to see pics of that beast! and the set up along with it
  • Reply 34 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blascock

Does anyone have pics of a 30" cinema display? i would love to see pics of that beast! and the set up along with it

may be try MacNN.com Forum?
  • Reply 35 of 135
    Quote:

There's one a few posts up. . . dummy.
  • Reply 36 of 135
    Quote:

Does anyone have pics of a 30" cinema display? i would love to see pics of that beast! and the set up along with it.

Yes..i also have those.For the occasion(picture taken) transferred them to my sleeping-quarters were my previous setup is.

HERE YOU GO

@Slughead:

Man...great that you have a G5! BUT....sorry for saying: " What a mess and not even a cinema display with it?

• Reply 37 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

@Slughead:

Man...great that you have a G5! BUT....sorry for saying: " What a mess and not even a cinema display with it?

after buying the G5, I couldn't afford one :X

I bought everything mentioned in that picture, without the G5 it all totaled less than $2,000 (over the course of 7 or 8 years).

Two 30 inchers though... damn. Looks really pretty, but I paid more for my G5 than I did for my car, so you can understand my position on buying an Apple display
  • Reply 38 of 135
    Quote:

All of my numerous postings include pictures of my 30" Apple Cinema HD display..
  • Reply 39 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

Yes..i also have those.For the occasion(picture taken) transferred them to my sleeping-quarters were my previous setup is.

HERE YOU GO

@Slughead:

2 30" displays is absolultey stunning but I find 1 very satisfying. If money were no object I'd have 2 but one is more then I originally imagined so I am happy.

I don't think I'd cope with 2.....
  • Reply 40 of 135
    Oh those are 30".. wow 2! holy shit.. anyways i couldnt tell in some of those pictures