Low Power USB ports on iBook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I've recently bought an external HD for my iBook G4/800. The problem is, I need to plug it in with 2 USB plugs, and I don't have a port left for my mouse. Are the USB ports on my iBook software limited, can I change this? If I have to use 2 USB ports, can I connect a USB hub to one, and run my mouse together with the HD?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I think you are confused. I have never seen a device that could use 2 USB ports, let alone require them. And you can always get hubs, the USB spec requires that ability to address 127 devices per controller, and Apple always has one for every exposed port (Windows computers often share a port).

If you are looking for power (as in amperage) enough to drive an external hard drive... then you should not be using a laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

I think you are confused. I have never seen a device that could use 2 USB ports, let alone require them. And you can always get hubs, the USB spec requires that ability to address 127 devices per controller, and Apple always has one for every exposed port (Windows computers often share a port).

If you are looking for power (as in amperage) enough to drive an external hard drive... then you should not be using a laptop.

using a laptop is fine! But the two USB thing is a mistake. Why do you need two? If you need to power the HD plug it an and access it at home/work. Using a laptop is fine as long as you don't want the HD to be portable.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I've seen this recently when setting up a portable external USB 2.0 HD (2.5" 60GB Fujitsu) for a client.

The case looked like a mate for a VAIO, but its cable had two USB plugs forked at the computer end and a proprietary end at the drive.

USB is officially rated for 500mA devices max.

The drive itself had stickers that listed its draw at 550mA.

Both USB ports were required to power it from a 14" iBook.

One port on the back iMac G4 seemed to handle it (keyboard USB port wasn't enough), but the HDD was flaky if underpowered, so 2 ports was preferred, and I didn't test it long enough to definitively measure.

It would appear that laptop USB ports don't carry the power of desktop ports... though the real issue wasn't the capacity per port, but the fact that the drive demanded more than any single USB cable could carry anyway.

Another argument for sticking with 6-pin FireWire for external drives, I'd say.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Oh, maybe I didn't explain it correctly: it's a portable 2.5" HD, they come with a forked cable that has 2 USB plugs. It worked fine, however, on my friend's PowerBook. I would have gone for a FW-drive, but you cant't find'em here in China...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    USB / Firewire drive i bought once had a similar cable. It had a redualr USB end and then another one that allos you to still plug stuff into it. I guess it is to allow you to have more power.