Apple World Wide Developers Conference to kick-off June 6 in San Francisco

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's annual developers conference is set for the first week of June.

All systems are 'go' for Apple's WWDC 2005, according to a posting on the company's Developer Connection Web site. The conference, which will be held at Moscone Center West in San Francisco, Calif., will begin on June 6th and run through the 10th.

"With its unique integration of breakthrough technologies, open standards, and robust development tools, MacÂ*OSÂ*X Tiger is the platform for unparalleled developer innovation. At the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2005, June 6-10 in San Francisco, you'll get the in-depth knowledge, hands-on instruction and one-on-one support you need to deliver products and solutions that transform the way your users work, play, search, and share on a Mac," says a statement on the developer site.

In recent years, Apple chief executive, Steve Jobs, has transitioned the conference into an event that showcases not only the company's latest software technologies, but also its cutting edge hardware offerings.

At WWDC 2003, Apple introduced the Power Mac G5, while last year's event was slated to host the launch of the iMac G5 before issues arose with IBM, Apple's G5 chip supplier. Still, a revamped line of Cinema Displays were rolled-out.

According to a published list of frequently asked questions, complete session tracks information, special events, and keynote speakers will be provided on the WWDC 2005 website in the near future.

Tickets to the conference are priced at $1,295 for orders placed before April 22 and $1,595 thereafter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    well this years WWDC has been pushed back almost a month over last years. Thats a little over three and a half months from now. So im guessing they will wait out any PMG5 upgrades, but when they do they do it will probably be one hell of an upgrade...New MP G5..PCI-e..X800 etc.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    june 6th? will tiger be ready to announce for imminent sale by then?

and hey, only a mere $1300 to attend. or buy four, and get one free. yeah, i know, if you're a full-time developer, this is YOUR show, and it makes you money to attend. but THIS is why apple must keep showing at least at macworld san francisco, to give us mere mortals the faint hope that we will be able to bask in the full, searing glory of steve's RDF and still afford to BUY SOMETHING as we walk out.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jsnuff1

well this years WWDC has been pushed back almost a month over last years. Thats a little over three and a half months from now. So im guessing they will wait out any PMG5 upgrades, but when they do they do it will probably be one hell of an upgrade...New MP G5..PCI-e..X800 etc.

I thought Apple held it's WWDC at the end of June in 2004?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    They did (linky). June 28-July 2. Similar for '03.

So they pushed it up a month compared to prior years.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

They did (linky). June 28-July 2. Similar for '03.

So they pushed it up a month compared to prior years.

Screed

It was pushed back a month when they moved the conference from the San Jose Convention Center to the Moscone Center.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    So I know what Core Image and Core Video are. What is Core Data?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    CoreData is basically an EOF for Cocoa, from what I gather
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kalikkalik

CoreData is basically an EOF for Cocoa, from what I gather

What's an EOF??
  • Reply 9 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

What's an EOF??

Enterprise Object Frameworks, part of NeXTStep originally, now bundled with WebObjects.

Basically, Core Data does the same thing for data (files, metadata, etc.) that Core Image does for filters: It gives you a system-level framework for defining and manipulating them.

The details are seeeeeekrit.

• Reply 10 of 33
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Enterprise Object Frameworks, part of NeXTStep originally, now bundled with WebObjects.

Basically, Core Data does the same thing for data (files, metadata, etc.) that Core Image does for filters: It gives you a system-level framework for defining and manipulating them.

So now that that's sorted...

Am I correct in assuming that, with Core Data in place, creating and/or extending spreadsheet and database apps becomes magnitudes easier than without it? (My line of thinking has to do with the future of iWork or some theoretical MS Office replacement.)

One more thing, is Core Data in place in Panther, or will it be implemented come Tiger?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

So now that that's sorted...

Am I correct in assuming that, with Core Data in place, creating and/or extending spreadsheet and database apps becomes magnitudes easier than without it? (My line of thinking has to do with the future of iWork or some theoretical MS Office replacement.)

One more thing, is Core Data in place in Panther, or will it be implemented come Tiger?

As stated, the details about Core Data are seeeeekrit, meaning that they can't be discussed openly. Developers are under NDAs.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Think BeOS and the BFS and you have pretty much the summation of Core Data. If that eludes you, read the wiki here.

BTW, Dominic has been on the Apple payroll, writing journalled FS code for well over a year now.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

I thought Apple held it's WWDC at the end of June in 2004?

So did I, and my wife and I planned our tenth anniversary trip to Bora Bora for then. But then when I told her, she didn't freak at all and moved our trip. That's why I married her in the first place...
  • Reply 14 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

So did I, and my wife and I planned our tenth anniversary trip to Bora Bora for then. But then when I told her, she didn't freak at all and moved our trip. That's why I married her in the first place...

And that's a damn fine to reason to marry a woman too. It's like a bonus.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Actually, it was an add-on to Openstep 4.x and originally written by Dave Koski and I'm completely blanking on the other gentleman. Both were interns at NeXT and former Stanford students who later owned and operated Running-Start Inc.

EOF gives many advanced ideas to the developer to manipulate data in RDBMS.

CoreData is using an SQLite database basically interfacing with EOF which will be once again Objective-C and since Apple stopped shipping ObjC version of WOF this will be very nice.

Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

• Reply 16 of 33
    Yet again, a WWDC I can´t even hope to attend. Somehow, I think there´s something wrong with the WWDC, for example

*) It´s only in America - what are european Developers going to do? Especially with such a

*) Price Tag - Sorry, there´s no way a student, hobby or "Let´s see what this does" programmer like me could afford 1300$ and the flight to America.

While I understand why there must be an entrace fee, I really don´t see a reason for 1300 Dollars...

Hello Steve? We want something like WWDC in Europe, too. And if possible, not for 1300?.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Yes this is 3 weeks earlier but I suppose many people here aren't interested in the fact that it's regular price is $400 less than normal.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    This isn't targeted for Student Developers. I know I used to have to work the conference while at Apple.

And nearly one third of the developers who attend are foreign so that doesn't work as well.

This is a conference that corporations interested in developing for OS X or already do will have spent the Premiere Pricing structure which includes a pass for one and depending on the organization will send several developers at once.

The most I ever saw was around 20 developers being sent to the conference.

Great conference btw. If one has questions that bug the crap out of them this is the place to get your answers. Not to mention it is the best place to do social networking for future jobs or partnerships.

Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Yet again, a WWDC I can´t even hope to attend. Somehow, I think there´s something wrong with the WWDC, for example

*) It´s only in America - what are european Developers going to do? Especially with such a

*) Price Tag - Sorry, there´s no way a student, hobby or "Let´s see what this does" programmer like me could afford 1300$ and the flight to America.

While I understand why there must be an entrace fee, I really don´t see a reason for 1300 Dollars...

Hello Steve? We want something like WWDC in Europe, too. And if possible, not for 1300?.

• Reply 19 of 33
    100" Cinema Display

$10,000.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    For students, there are the student scholarships, which is essentially a free ticket. You'll still have to pay hotel and airfare, but that's a lot less than a ticket. Scholarships are usually first come first serve, so get your resumes in as soon as its announced. It doesn't even matter if you're in a computer related major. I'm a Philosophy major and I got one last year. I went and it was cool.