Dell catching up to Apple Designs, c. 1998

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, i couldn't help but see this picture of a forthcoming dell display....

and feel a little bit of "been there, done that..."

so in 6 or 7 years, dell has managed to a.) make the screen bigger b.) add some more "junk in the trunk" (looks like it's got a decent number of ports and stuff behidn the display) and c.) gone all silver and black instead of translucent purple.

otherwise, why is dell still paying their industrial design department?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    You can certainly see the companies that know how to design and those that don't. Its a bit like looking at Ferrari and Skoda.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

otherwise, why is dell still paying their industrial design department?

They have an industrial design department?

I'd rather something look like that and have that many features than cost twice as much and look pretty... I guess that's why I buy refurbished equipment :X
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have a Dell 20" that looks a lot like that one. In fact, it's right in front of me (to the right a bit). The ugliness of the thing is more obvious when you're next to it. The old Apple LCD is much nicer looking, as I have seen that one too, and can tell you for sure.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I like how the dell display has a very Mac OS X aqua-esque desktop.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I like how the dell display has a very Mac OS X aqua-esque desktop.

heyy.... yeah....! thanks for pointing that out
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Dunno. Of course, for the most part I don't care... since that display you're referring to (24" widescreen LCD @ 1920x1200) will be $600 cheaper than the 23" ADC when it comes out in March.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Dunno. Of course, for the most part I don't care... since that display you're referring to (24" widescreen LCD @ 1920x1200) will be $600 cheaper than the 23" ADC when it comes out in March.

Perhaps, but I'll pay the extra $600 for the generally better color trueness of Apple displays. The Dell displays are targeted towards gamers, and they pick LCD panels based primarily on refresh rate. Granted, I do a lot of design work, but a lot of the people buying big displays also do a lot of design work.