Just got myself an iPod Mini.. discovered something nasty, can you help?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

today i got myself and iPod Mini 2nd hand. It came without a manual! So, how do i take the songs that came with it off it and put them in my iTunes collection?

Also, i just discovered (this being the 'nasty' part) that it's been formatted for Windows! So how do i change this??

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    also, how do i upgrade the software? i go into 'iPod Updater' and it says i have "software version 1.1 (needs update)", but then on the below button - the one that says 'Update Now'- it's faded out and isn't an option? Why can't i update?

thank again
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ok guys.. time for an update:

i've updated the iPod. i used an appliaction called iPodRip to copy all the songs into my itunes collection and then i 'restored' the settings and deleted everything on my iPod. Once this was done it had upgraded itself...

now im not sure if it's still Windows formated or not... how can i tell?? i can't seem to find where i was before, the place where it said it was Windows formated...

well that's all
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

ok guys.. time for an update:

i've updated the iPod. i used an appliaction called iPodRip to copy all the songs into my itunes collection and then i 'restored' the settings and deleted everything on my iPod. Once this was done it had upgraded itself...

now im not sure if it's still Windows formated or not... how can i tell?? i can't seem to find where i was before, the place where it said it was Windows formated...

well that's all

If you restored from a Mac, then it's Mac formatted.

You can look at Disk Utility to check the formatting.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Hey all,

So, how do i take the songs that came with it off it and put them in my iTunes collection?

Thank you

<cough>, <cough> <ipod rip>, <cough>

DON'T STEAL MUSIC!!

• Reply 5 of 9
    i already own some of the CDs anyway. Most of it's going to get deleted, it's not my kinda music.

Another questions guys. If i give a song a 4-star rating on my iPod, and previously in iTunes it had no rating, how do i go about getting iTunes to automatically up-date my Star Ratings??

Thanks all
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

i already own some of the CDs anyway. Most of it's going to get deleted, it's not my kinda music.

Another questions guys. If i give a song a 4-star rating on my iPod, and previously in iTunes it had no rating, how do i go about getting iTunes to automatically up-date my Star Ratings??

Thanks all

If you sync it with iTunes as normal (as you would when you want to update the songs on your iPod), iTunes will receive any changes made to the ratings.

Still can't understand why they couldn't syncronise play counts...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ok, my iPod still isn't syncronising with my iTunes.. i'll give you an example. Today at school i played a song i hated, called "Sunrise (BCD Remix)". So i gave it a one-star rating, to remind myself to delete it later... But when i plug in my iPod it has one star, but still has a 3-star (my default) rating in my library!!

now im sure it's meant to syncronise... so why won't it??
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ok, i've got it syncronising. Just a simple matter of choosing the right Playlists in itunes. Now, my next querie regards text files..

i've tried saving a couple of text files on my iPod, but they seem to come up all garbled. Both files are the same document, but one is saved with .rtf (Rich text File - textedit) after it, and the other is .doc (a Microsoft Word Document)....

neaither are working. The iPods instructions say to turn the iPod on as a Disk. I don't know how to do this exactly, but in itunes there's a box that says: E'nable Disk Use' and i've ticked it...

can anyone help me?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

ok, i've got it syncronising. Just a simple matter of choosing the right Playlists in itunes. Now, my next querie regards text files..

i've tried saving a couple of text files on my iPod, but they seem to come up all garbled. Both files are the same document, but one is saved with .rtf (Rich text File - textedit) after it, and the other is .doc (a Microsoft Word Document)....

neaither are working. The iPods instructions say to turn the iPod on as a Disk. I don't know how to do this exactly, but in itunes there's a box that says: E'nable Disk Use' and i've ticked it...

can anyone help me?

I haven't put text files onto my iPod in this way, but I'm sure you can only put basic .txt files on there.

Also something I forgot last night, you can download manuals from http://www.info.apple.com/support/manuals.html. I have one for my iPod and PowerBook downloaded, if I ever need them as it's easier than getting the boxes off the shelf.